Options

Dobson in Boston -- 29 October 2005

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited October 31, 2005 in People
Saturday was very political in downtown Boston. Cindy Sheehan spoke in The Commons and James Dobson of Focus on the Family came to preach just a few blocks away at The Tremont Temple Baptist Church.

42373778-L.jpg

While Dobson was preaching inside, a handful of very angry demonstrators congregated outside.

42269391-L.jpg

There were about as many police as demonstrators, but because they weren't as angry, I think they felt colder and wetter.

42143438-L.jpg

Nevertheless, I think the Boston Police are extremely moderate and professional in these sorts of situations.

The people inside the church didn't seem angry, actually. Maybe they are used to this kind of thing or maybe they have less reason to be angry.

42280492-L.jpg

I looked at the Focus on the Family web page, and it has a link to their postion on homosexuality. In a nutshell, they consider homosexual sex to be a sin. They also consider extramarital sex to be a sin. So I suppose the demonstartors were angry because they are the ones being judged and the FotF people aren't angry because they are the ones doing the judging.

42375946-L.jpg

In retrospect, I wish I'd gone inside with my camera. I wasn't protesting, after all. I was present in my role as a (very very small time) professional freelance photojournalist. No press pass, but I do have a card (and I'm going to have an even nicer card soon.) It's important for me to remember that the camera isn't a wall between myself and my subjects.

42396450-L.jpg

The more I talk with them about what's going on, the better shots I get. I also have more interesting thoughts about it afterwards.

42132328-L.jpg

Still, it was hard while standing out there in the cold with these people who were so angry for me to form the thought that I could walk up those stairs and just go in.

42270512-L.jpg

Perhaps I could have done that and perhaps I wouldn't have been allowed in with my camera and no press pass. I'm sorry now that I don't know.

42384623-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    I love those shots. What a story they tell....so full of emotion. Very well done and thanks for posting.

Sometimes when we are taking photos of flowers and bridges...we forget that peoples lives are in conflict each and everyday.

These pictures show that humanity has a long way to go before we can all truely acknowledge the fact that we are all ONE and there is no room for judgement - on either side.

I'm going to focus my mind on Oneness today in my Yoga class. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited October 31, 2005
    Rutt - once again you've presented a fantastically chronicaled event in photographs and commentary. Well done!!! thumb.gif

edit: Most of these photos are trully fantastic captures. light, comp, DOF are really NICE. Love the snow "freeze-framed" in the shots.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    Very strong work Rutt. You really captured the intensity of the event. Boy does it look cold up there. I'm still running around in my short sleeve shirt down here. That fuzzy white stuff, what's it called again?
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com