Options

FoCal AF Microadjustment Software?

chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
edited February 25, 2013 in Accessories
Hello,

Last year I borrowed the LensAlign kit to adjust the microfocus of my Canon 50D against my assortment of lenses. It was a very time consuming and tedious process for me, but resulted in a micro-adjustments for each of my lenses that has yielded positive results (ie; better focus).

So, in preparation for my incoming 5DMark3 and new lenses, I was about to purchase the LensAlign...but then I came across the new FoCal Automated Lens Calibrator solution by a company called Reikan Tech. This seems quite nifty and a heckuva lot easier (and a bit cheaper for the 2 non-pro versions). Anyone have any experience with this?

http://www.reikan.co.uk/focal/

here's one review/blog which walks through the process, and a company-sponsored demo on youtube
-Chris D.
http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

Comments

• Options
    SempaidavidSempaidavid Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    I have it and love it. There are many good tests you can run. I use it with my 1d mkIV and will be using it with my 5d mkIII as soon as he adds support next week.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    Looks great. Well, the product does. The website is terrible. How many clicks does it take to find out how much it costs? And would a chart comparing the features of each version really be too much to ask for?
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2012
    It looks like the discount offered on the podcast page is only eligible for Canon cameras. I've emailed to ask.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    Pupator wrote: »
    Looks great. Well, the product does. The website is terrible. How many clicks does it take to find out how much it costs? And would a chart comparing the features of each version really be too much to ask for?

2 clicks after landing....click on get focal...click on model of interest.... the comparison chart would be real nice ... ... .. . really hate the light grey font on the FAQ's, really strained my eyes...oh well... comaparison is in the FAQ ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 7, 2012
    I purchased it this afternoon and used it on three of my lenses - here are some thoughts:

Summary: This software is fantastic and I highly recommend it. I owned a LensAlign and used it regularly. It was just as accurate as FoCal but not nearly as simple.

Long version:
    I e-mailed the folks at FoCal this morning with a question about discount eligibility. They responded within a few hours thus securing my desire to purchase from them (I didn't expect an answer until at least Monday.) The purchase, download, and registration process took about 5 minutes. In the blog review (linked to above) the writing wishes for an automated registration system. They have that in place now and I was able to register my serial number on their website in a matter of seconds. I payed as a Paypal "guest" with no account without incident.

I purchased the "Plus" version to make use of the fully-automatic calibration. This was my only disappointment and it's not the fault of FoCal at all. The D7000 does not support having the microfocus adjustment changed via software. This means that the fully-automatic process, while still quite easy, is not entirely automatic. It needs you to change the MFA amount several times throughout the calibration.

I printed out the target on normal printer paper and taped it to the wall with some scotch tape. I did not pull out a level or ruler to make sure it was even. I wanted to see how much tolerance the system has for these kinds of things. As soon as I set up the camera at the target the software identified it without a problem. The setup phase alone is immeasurably easier than LensAlign. If you've ever use the LA you know how much of a hassle it can be to get the correct alignment.

I started the first test and got a handful of warnings. The first was that I wasn't in Av mode - easy to fix. The second was that there wasn't enough light in the room to ensure accurate focus. I added a lamp but still got the warning and did all three tests with the warning that the results might not be as accurate as possible.

During one of the tests I got a warning after a few test shots that the lens wasn't functioning properly and the software couldn't get consistent focus. Turns out this was because I had set the lens up in a way so that the focus ring couldn't turn. I was very impressed that the software recognized that there was something wrong and prompted me to fix it.

Two of the three lenses I used today had also been calibrated on this body with my LensAlign. The results from FoCal were identical on one and off by only one on another. Thus, I do trust the accuracy of the system. All three lenses so considerable improvement in the "after" shots compared to the "before."

My 35 f/1.8 required -5, my Sigma 50-150 required +6 (at 50mm), and my 12-24 needed -4 (at 12mm).

The only other negative was that during one of the tests, about 75% through, I accidentally bumped the camera off of its center focus point. I was pleased that the software gave me a warning that I needed to correct it, but when I did I couldn't figure out how to resume the test. I clicked the "start" button again (the only one available) and it started the test from the very beginning. Not so annoying if your camera can support the fully automatic mode but slightly annoying for me.

You should also note that between every test, since the camera was turned off to change lenses, you have to back all the way out of the testing menu to the "select camera" page and choose the camera again once it is turned on with the new lens mounted.

Positives: Easy setup, very easy test, noticeable improvement in focus accuracy, affordable.
    Negatives: Can't overcome the limitations of your camera body (D7000), a couple of confusing UI moments.

****EDIT - I have since upgraded to the pro version.****
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2012
    Wow Pupator. I posted this late yesterday and wake up today with a complete experience review! Nice! Thanks. It's great that you don't even have to wait for a product to ship, just download, print, and boom!

So, we have two positive reviews so far (3 including the blog). I'll definitely go this route over LensAlign, as soon as the 5DMark3 support is ready.
    -Chris D.

• Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    Oh wow, I'm so glad I clicked on this thread! I did not know about this program. I will definitely be purchasing FoCal Standard or Plus when the 5DMKIII support is ironed out. I have a $60USD credit to my business credit card and this will be perfect :)
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2012
    I want to lavish some more praise on Focal.

My "new" D300 arrived and I added the serial number to my license (you can make license changes up to 10 times). But when I started the program it saw my camera as "unsupported" and wouldn't let me go any further. I e-mailed Focal and they gave me some trouble-shooting steps to try. The e-mail responses were immediate and through the process we identified a bug in the program. The developer was able to identify it, fix it, and is pushing out an update later today.

Really, really great customer experience.
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2012
    I thought I'd post some screen captures of the other features in the Pro version:

Aperture Sharpness Test - entirely automatic
    i-8qZpSh4-L.png

AF Consistency Test - automatic unless you test an AFMA Range on a camera where you have to set the AFMA manually

i-qXjNn75-L.png

There's also a sensor dust check but I haven't run that one successfully yet.
  • Options
    reikanphotoreikanphoto Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 18, 2012
    Hi Everyone

I'm Rich, the owner of Reikan Technology and developer of FoCal.

I know rules can be tight on any kind of commercial interaction on forums, so I won't say much here other than if anyone has any questions about FoCal and it's capabilities I'd be happy to answer them.

Glad to see it'd going down well here :)

Rich
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2012
    I thought I'd post some screen captures of the other features in the Pro version:

Aperture Sharpness Test - entirely automatic
    i-8qZpSh4-L.png

So, that's pretty sweet. Instantly know at which aperture(s) your glass is most accurate. Cool. Buying right now for my 50D.
    -Chris D.

• Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2012
    Hi Everyone

I know rules can be tight on any kind of commercial interaction on forums, so I won't say much here other than if anyone has any questions about FoCal and it's capabilities I'd be happy to answer them.

Rich

Can I use 2 prepaid AmEx gift cards on 1 purchase to buy the software? I have a $20 and a $30 card, lol
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 641 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2012
    Hi Everyone

Rich

I'm interested in purchasing the Standard version for my Mark IV's but am wondering why the license is limited to that body. What if I decide to rent a 1DX in the future & want to perform ae micro AF adjustment for my lenses before using. How much is £19.95 (FoCal Standard) in US currency these days? Thanks.
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2012
    I'm interested in purchasing the Standard version for my Mark IV's but am wondering why the license is limited to that body. What if I decide to rent a 1DX in the future & want to perform ae micro AF adjustment for my lenses before using. How much is £19.95 (FoCal Standard) in US currency these days? Thanks.

Travis, well, I'm not Rich, but I believe I can answer your questions:

(1) After purchasing, you'll have access to their License Management System, where you can go online and add the serial number of the new body (it appears to accept up to 5 serial numbers). Part of the licensing requirement is to ensure you are using a compatible camera.

(2) £19.95 is currently equal to just about $32 according to this.
    -Chris D.

• Options
    edited April 18, 2012
    Just purchased the software and ran this test on my 50D with 17-55mm EF-S lens. This software easily confirms that a single microfocus adjustment setting is a bittersweet capability, because at 17mm it needs a -2 adjustment, at 31mm it needs a -1 setting, and 55mm it needs a +3 adjustment. So, to compromise I'll go with a "0" or perhaps +1 since I use this lens at all focal lengths.

Can't wait for the dual-adjustment (wide and tele setting) capability of the 5dm3, as soon as it starts shipping again.

And using the aperture sharpness test, at least its good to confirm that this lens is sharpest between f/3.2 and f/4.0 across the range.
    -Chris D.

• Options
    edited April 18, 2012
    You can have up to five serial numbers on your license and you can add them one at a time or all at once. However, you only get 10 total changes to your "body lineup" over the course of your license. This is because they do offer a license for commercial use and if you're changing out bodies more than 10 times you probably fall into that commercial use category.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2012

<snip>

****EDIT - I have since upgraded to the pro version.****

Did Upgrading alleviate any of the probs you had during your lens calibrations??
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 19, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Did Upgrading alleviate any of the probs you had during your lens calibrations??

No. But that's because the only problems I had were either self- or camera- inflicted. Pro just adds some functionality I didn't have before.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2012
    No. But that's because the only problems I had were either self- or camera- inflicted. Pro just adds some functionality I didn't have before.

I see... ... ... Thank you.

• Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2012
    I want this. Looks like a fantastic tool.
  • Options
    reikanphotoreikanphoto Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 19, 2012
    Can I use 2 prepaid AmEx gift cards on 1 purchase to buy the software? I have a $20 and a $30 card, lol

Payment is via PayPal, and I'm not sure if they take Amex or not. They do accept quite a few payment methods (which is why we chose them), but I think you'll have to try it to see if they accept Amex Prepaid and split payments.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2012
    Hi Everyone

{SNIPO} :)

Rich

Will this work on NON auto focus lenses since my D300 has to be in manual Setting Change mode .... also is it possible to use the Standard Edition with my D300?

you really need to add a comparison page that shows all of the versions side by side, instead of having to go bouncing from page to page and back and forth or having to write it all down to see the differences....I bet it would boost sales a lot too....

and you may want to add US$ to your pricing, I don't find it hard to go to XE and see the exchange rate but a lot do....

You should be able to message DoctorIT or Andy and be allowed to put up an INFO thread in the Flea Market to advertise your software...

THANX.

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited April 19, 2012
    Hi Everyone

Rich
    Hi Rich, Welcome.

When can we look forward to the OS X (or the Linux) version, for those of us who work in an alternate universe?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2012
    Just downloaded this. Purchase process was easy peasy (although one suggestion, since the developer has been following this thread: it would be good if after the Paypal payment/confirmation has come up it took you BACK to the download page so you don't have to find it manually, as I did)

I haven't had a chance to test and run this software yet, but it's almost worth the price for the explanation of how AF and AF microadjustment work - I've learned a ton just by reading the introductory info. I'm looking forward to running this later!!!
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2012
    This program looks awesome. Only decision is whether to go for the pro version - the added data of optimal aperture for lens, dust data and AF consistency is very tempting...
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2012
    I used the plus version. I really, REALLY like it - been meaning to post an update actually, but just haven't had time!

It was a little crashy for me in that if I switched lenses with the program open and then did another test, it sometimes got a bit confused; easily worked around by closing the software, changing lenses, and then reopening the software and starting from scratch.

Definitely found my lenses benefitted from the results it found and SO.MUCH.EASIER. (and, I'm willing to bet, more accurate) than doing it manually!
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2012
    I started with the plus version and got the upgrade to pro. Plus is great but I found the extra features to be really great. I'd say for the average user they aren't necessary, but for the tech geek they're wonderful.

Now, however, I'm using a Mac. So I'm eagerly waiting for the OSX version.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2012
    Yup, it's that damn geek in me that wants the pro.
    I guess I could look up ideal sharpness for the lens/body combination.
    I could shoot a sky and determine dust spots.
    I possibly could run the test in sequence and see if the microAF correction holds.

But I really want all those cool data points and graphs!
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2012
    By the way, for those who asked about Mac and Linux
    Future versions are planned for Linux and Mac (the Mac version is under development and is planned for first release in Q2 2012). However, a Virtual Machine environment (e.g. VMWare, VirtualBox or Parallels) should allow FoCal to run on other computers as long as the Canon EOS Utility can be made to work (FoCal is used by many people on the Mac with Parallels 7)

(From the FoCal website)
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2012
    Yup. And there is a beta for pro users. Check the twitter/fb link on top of their site