Options

Night Photography Setup

OC57OC57 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited June 11, 2013 in Landscapes
Hello all;

I suspect that this isn't the first time you've had someone ask these questions and I'm fairly sure that if I were smart enough, I might be able to find what I'm looking for but why not cut to the chase?

I'm going on a big family vacation soon and one of the stops is Glacier National Park. My goal is to be able to shoot the night sky (Milky Way) without a lot of noise. My issue is this, since I don't do night photography, I don't always get the shutter to fire and it's frustrating. This was when I was using my Nikon D200. Now, I also have a Nikon D600 with higher ISO ranges to play with but I'm not sure what the settings should be to ensure that I at least will get an image to preview and adjust from. I'm looking for suggestions. I've read where my Tokina 11-16mm lens for my D200 might not fit the bill so to speak and so that would leave me with either the 24-85mm VR or the straight 50mm lenses for this attempt. Do I need some subtle light in the foreground to read from? Is the sky enough? Can I shoot in aperture priority at maybe 1600 ISO? I have a cable release and a borrowed tripod for the adventure so shake shouldn't be an issue. I only have two nights at the park and I need this shot.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Failed to load the poll.