[Implemented] Map This!

missedbeatmissedbeat Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited November 23, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Despite following the help file on the new SmugMug I am not seeing a Map This! button on my gallery despite the photos have GPS co-ordinates loaded prior to upload.

Is there something missing in the Help section or a trick I should know?!!

Peter H

Comments

• richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    missedbeat wrote: »
    Despite following the help file on the new SmugMug I am not seeing a Map This! button on my gallery despite the photos have GPS co-ordinates loaded prior to upload.

Is there something missing in the Help section or a trick I should know?!!

Peter H
    i was wondering the same today. I've issued a feature request to see if we can get the 'map it' button back.
  • missedbeatmissedbeat Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    richW wrote: »
    i was wondering the same today. I've issued a feature request to see if we can get the 'map it' button back.

The help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93311 suggests it should be there and this help page has been updated since launch of new SmugMug? headscratch.gif
    edited August 4, 2013
    Response from SmugMug

Thanks for contacting SmugMug. Let me explain: you can still use the map in New SmugMug: you can create a new page and put a map on it, or put it on any existing page. Your geotagged photos should appear on it. The map is available under customize > customize site > content > discovery > map; just drag it to somewhere on your site from there.

Only problem is it shows 'pins' for photos no longer on my site. Is there a cache somewhere I can empty?

Peter H
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,010 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    missedbeat wrote: »
    Response from SmugMug

Thanks for contacting SmugMug. Let me explain: you can still use the map in New SmugMug: you can create a new page and put a map on it, or put it on any existing page. Your geotagged photos should appear on it. The map is available under customize > customize site > content > discovery > map; just drag it to somewhere on your site from there.

Only problem is it shows 'pins' for photos no longer on my site. Is there a cache somewhere I can empty?

Peter H
    There response does not cover individual galleries only site wide images.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited August 4, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    There response does not cover individual galleries only site wide images.

I agree as I have asked SmugMug for how it can be used for mapping a gallery as I cannot see a help file link.

My new query is that the map is showing pins for photos I have deleted and I assume therefore there must be a cache somewhere that can be cleared?
  • aaronpriestaaronpriest Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    Yeah, this feature is useless for me now as it shows only the last 200 photos uploaded or the most highly ranked. That does nothing for a specific gallery. Also, the new map feature either takes up too large of a screen area and looks bad if you want it to be functional, and if you make it smaller so it won't dominate your gallery then it's not all that useful. Before we had an unobtrusive button for each gallery that then opened a map page for images in that specific gallery. We want this feature back please! It would not be hard to include a map button along with comments and EXIF data buttons under the photos or gallery. Thanks!
    edited August 4, 2013
    Also, the current map box does not draw from recent photos accurately. I have stuff showing that I uploaded in 2005 and yet lots of things missing from the last two years that are not in hidden or password protected galleries.
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    Hi Peter,

You are still able to map individual photos when clicking the Edit Tool in the Lightbox view. Is that not what you were looking for?

Thanks!

Michael
    edited August 4, 2013
    No, I have no trouble tagging them in Lightroom. I have no way of SHOWING viewers the map!

EDIT: I shouldn't speak for Peter, but it sounds like his original question is the same issue. :-)
  • phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    I have no way of SHOWING viewers the map!

+1
    You can edit the geo location using the edit icon, but visitors will not be able to see the location. I prefer a small earth icon next to the thumps-up! icon.
    edited August 4, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Hi Peter,

You are still able to map individual photos when clicking the Edit Tool in the Lightbox view. Is that not what you were looking for?

Thanks!

Michael

My photos have Geo info from capture. I would like that info to be used on a map like it used to be in the previous SmugMug. There is no information on the site to even assist in setting up the very limited features available!

The lack of maps is a big negative for me particularly when Flickr offer an excellent map, as SmugMug did prior to the 'upgrade'!ne_nau.gif
  • johncnajohncna Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    No Map This!
    I do not want a map on my gallery page. What I had before was a BUTTON that opened up a map and displayed the locations of the photos IN THAT GALLERY ONLY. When I was done viewing the map, I could close it and it would go away. Only the gallery images would be showing.

The new SmugMug does not seem to be able to do this. The problem is specifically:
    1. You can only place a map block that is ALWAYS shown in the gallery. There is no option to have a button to call up the map when you want to look at it and is otherwise not shown.
    2. The map does not show ONLY pins from that particular gallery. It appears to be looking at photos from the whole site or perhaps the entire folder. It needs to only display locations of photos within that particular gallery only. Of course, if you put it on a folder view, it should display what's in the folder.
    edited August 6, 2013
    The question for SmugMug, for which a response would be appreciated, is simple; Is there a plan to bring back the Map functionality that was lost with the upgrade?

Peter H
    edited August 6, 2013
    Hear, hear! Hehe
  • PhilCZPhilCZ Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    I loved this function in old smugmug, and here I miss it :(.
  • johncnajohncna Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Answer from SmugMug Support:

Sorry, the map this button has been replaced with the Map Block as you described.
    I'll pass your suggestion about limiting the map to only using images from the gallery.

Well, that's quite disappointing. The two differentiating features that SmugMug had when I was moving from another provider were, 1. including video support, 2. Map display for my travel photos. The Map function is now useless for me and the video playback is unsatisfactory. We'll see how things go and whether or not some of these dropped or altered items get fixed or improved along the way. We certainly can't expect everything at once. I'll be taking a sharper look at things again when it gets close to renewal time.
  • brocotbrocot Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    johncna wrote: »
    Answer from SmugMug Support:

Sorry, the map this button has been replaced with the Map Block as you described.
    I'll pass your suggestion about limiting the map to only using images from the gallery.

Well, that's quite disappointing. The two differentiating features that SmugMug had when I was moving from another provider were, 1. including video support, 2. Map display for my travel photos. The Map function is now useless for me and the video playback is unsatisfactory. We'll see how things go and whether or not some of these dropped or altered items get fixed or improved along the way. We certainly can't expect everything at once. I'll be taking a sharper look at things again when it gets close to renewal time.

Good idee !thumb.gif
    D7200/Nikon AF-S DX Nikkon 10-24mm/10-24dx/105mm prime/Nikon 200-500sb900/
    Hello, :thumb Mi Smug :
    http://erikgodderis.smugmug.com/
    http://www.godderis.be
    edited August 10, 2013
    edited August 10, 2013
    Map This is on the way!
    Great, now if they would fix the crazy icon that switches to a Aerial, I haven't found any of my
    visitors that even realize it's there.

Remove the icon and just show the box with "normal" and "aerial". Then it's obvious, duh.
  • Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    Map This is on the way!

Interesting. I never really used this feature on legacy. I'll have to try this when it comes out.
  • WindmillWindmill Registered Users Posts: 3 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    I am of the same opinion. Please bring back the Map this button. It is absolutely useless as it is now! Sorry SmugMug guys. But that is the truth
  • Nicolas MertensNicolas Mertens Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    This is just to add my voice to the above. Please, insert in the New SmugMug galleries a "Map This" button that operates like the one in Legacy. OR, arrange for contextual map blocks that would show only the photos of the current gallery. (To insert in a gallery a map block that shows recently uploaded photos or the most popular photos doesn't make sense.) Still, I would rather have maps separated from the galleries, and invoked with "Map This" buttons. This was such a nice feature in Legacy!!!

Thanks!
  • juanherediajuanheredia Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    Map This is on the way!

Great news. Thanks.

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk 4
  • piolet_rampepiolet_rampe Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    Great news. Thanks.

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk 4

I just committed to the new SM by clicking unveil. I like the general feel and have only begun to explore the new features. Please Please Please bring back the ability to include a map that displays selected photos! We used to love having the map on our homepage that showed all the places we have been. It would be improved if we could check a box to include or exclude a photo from the map ourselves.
  • James LyallJames Lyall Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    Map This!
    I fully agree with all who mourn the loss of the old "Map This" button which referred only to images in the gallery being displayed.
    This facility was one of the gems offered by SmugMug. It was madness to abandon it.
    From the postings, it does appears that it may be brought back.
    I keep my fingers crossed.
    edited August 13, 2013
    I fully agree with all who mourn the loss of the old "Map This" button which referred only to images in the gallery being displayed.
    This facility was one of the gems offered by SmugMug. It was madness to abandon it.
    From the postings, it does appears that it may be brought back.
    I keep my fingers crossed.

James, it is indeed coming back :)
  • James LyallJames Lyall Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    Excellent, I am delighted to hear it! Thank you for diligent toil.
    I have yet to unveil (unlike Salome!)

James.
    edited August 22, 2013
    I hope it's just a "Map This" button and not a widget box to add to a gallery. Or it could be both.
    edited August 22, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    I hope it's just a "Map This" button and not a widget box to add to a gallery. Or it could be both.

Allen, I am not sure of the plan yet, but will let you know as soon as I do.
  • moirainemoiraine Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2013
    A map for galleries has been shipped. This will continue to be improved over time, but here are some details about what we shipped with:

- a globe icon has been added beneath photos (in journal/smugmug style) and in lightbox for photos that qualify for being shown in a map (has latitude/longitude data and parent gallery has map features enabled)
    - galleries that will draw from the whole album: user keyword, user popular, all other regular galleries
    - galleries that will only add the image selected: global keyword, global popular, global and user date
    - map also exists in lightbox views of content blocks that open to lightbox
    - "enable map features" has moved in gallery settings from "security & privacy" to "appearance"
    - to keep an image off the map, ensure that its parent gallery has "map features" turned OFF
    - known issue: selected pins will be ADDED to the map every time the map opens, so duplicates will occur if user opens the map multiple times in one session

If anyone notices any issues and have questions, concerns, or general feedback, please feel free to ask.