Options

[Fixed] Organizer manual sort bug?

billwbillw Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
edited August 30, 2013 in Bug Reporting
In the organizer, if you select a number of photos then drag and drop them to a new position, they appear in random order, not the order they were originally.

Comments

• Options
    sarahksarahk Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    I'm not sure I've had that exact thing happen to me, but I did find that my images kept reordering into reverse chronological order in the organizer. They showed up fine in the gallery though. It was weird. I haven't done much playing around with it once I got that gallery set because I've been too afraid to mess up my galleries! Something was definitely happening with the order though.
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    I have photographs in groups but in the wrong order when viewed in Organize Site. Blocks of photos which should be at the end are in the middle and vice versa. There doesn't seem to be a pattern as far as I can see, they are just out of sync. When viewed in the Gallery they are in the right order but I don't want to click on 'Done' in Organize Site in case they are saved in the wrong order. I have reported this as a bug now.
  • Options
    ShamguessShamguess Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    I have the same issue. In the actual gallery, the images appear in the order in which they uploaded. I changed the organizer mode to manual to move a few that were out of sequence and the next time I came into the organizer, they were all mixed up. Now I'm afraid to move anything in the organizer since it doesn't look like the actual gallery.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Everything in manual sort is working as it should on my end. Can you let me know if you are still seeing this behavior?
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Everything in manual sort is working as it should on my end. Can you let me know if you are still seeing this behavior?

No it's still broken - in fact half the time going to 'Organize Site' and picking a gallery will freeze completely now anyway and I have to close the session and start again regardless of whether I try it with IE10 or Chrome.

Please remember I am talking about galleries with a certain number of photographs only. What is the maximum number of photographs in your gallery? Do you have any galleries with over 400 photographs or so? If not then you probably aren't seeing what we are seeing as smaller galleries don't seem to be affected (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    LPC wrote: »
    No it's still broken - in fact half the time going to 'Organize Site' and picking a gallery will freeze completely now anyway and I have to close the session and start again regardless of whether I try it with IE10 or Chrome.

Please remember I am talking about galleries with a certain number of photographs only. What is the maximum number of photographs in your gallery? Do you have any galleries with over 400 photographs or so? If not then you probably aren't seeing what we are seeing as smaller galleries don't seem to be affected (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Ah yes. Good to know. My test sites don't really have more than 100 per gallery.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    Ah yes. Good to know. My test sites don't really have more than 100 per gallery.

I would be more than happy to share my screen with a Smugmug tech later today if they wanted to see exactly what I'm getting?

What annoys me a bit is if I go into Organize Site and then edit and then Captions and Keywords it reverts to the old look Smugmug interface which was much easier to use. In that view the photos are all in the right order again by the way but when you go back to Organize site which uses the new interface they are jumbled up again. It makes me wonder what was wrong with 'Arrange Photos' as it was and why did it need to be changed if bulk editing Captions and Keywords is not going to be changed especially when one works and the other doesn't?
  • Options
    billwbillw Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013

I'm still seeing it, and with galleries with less than 20 images.

Here's what I see in the Organizer:
    Organizer%20view-M.jpg
    I've added the red outline. Note that I've just dragged one photo where I want it.

This is what I see in the Gallery:
    Gallery%20view-M.jpg
    Note that the two highlighted images are flipped from what is displayed in the Organizer.

I could post more reproducible examples if you like. For example a recently-created gallery that has the images sorted by filename (A-Z). If I drag an image I'm alerted "sort order changed to manual", then when I return to the gallery it is sorted Z-A! In this gallery, if I enter the organizer with the gallery sorted by filename (A-Z) and select "Sort Manually" from the sort dropdown, the images are re-ordered to a filename (Z-A) sort. I can then select "Sort by filename" (it reverts to A-Z order) then "Sort manually" and it remains in A-Z order! At this point I can do a drag-to-sort and it sticks!

EDIT and update: If I apply the above procedure (select sort by filename then select sort manually from the dropdown) to the gallery referenced above, then drag to sort, the sort sticks.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    It's been nearly a week since I reported this and we don't seem to be any further forward. I'm starting to worry about this now. Is there any news at all - at least something to tell us that it's on the list of issues to be looked into if nothing else?
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    Hi guys, we are still testing this in QA to try to nail down what is exactly happening. I will keep you posted as soon as I have an update.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    Hi guys, we are still testing this in QA to try to nail down what is exactly happening. I will keep you posted as soon as I have an update.

Thanks!

Thanks very much mbonocore, I appreciate it. If anyone wants to use my site for testing they are welcome to (as long as they don't break anything!) although I am yet to unveil so I don't know if they would be able to?
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    LPC wrote: »
    Thanks very much mbonocore, I appreciate it. If anyone wants to use my site for testing they are welcome to (as long as they don't break anything!) although I am yet to unveil so I don't know if they would be able to?

Thank you for the offer! But we have lots of photos laying around we could put together into big galleries :D
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited August 9, 2013
    Organizer > manual sort galleries in folder does not change order
    It's possible this is the same problem reported in the thread Organizer manual sort bug? but that is talking about sorting a large number of photos. My problem is with sorting a small number of galleries within a folder. Entering a new bug report in order to avoid confusing two different issues.

I'm trying to re-order the galleries in the Family folder, http://www.denisegoldberg.com/Family.

Here's the order I specified:
    i-N8JZZWv-L.jpg

And here's the folder:
    i-G3mKmhZ-L.jpg

Am I missing something? I thought if I set the order to manual and reordered the galleries in organizer that this would change the display order in the folder.

--- Denise
  • Options
    joe grazianojoe graziano Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 11, 2013
    Not working on my end

I'm on a Macbook pro v10.6.8 on safari and I can't even drag & drop to move images around in the order I want them to appear.

Any thoughts?? I've tried numerous times, logged out and back in, refreshed my cache, etc and still when I try to rag an image, it only moves it one image to the right or not at all.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    Is anyone else seeing this problem?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    I think there are lots of bugs in 'Organize site' which seem to be manifesting themselves slightly differently for different users which will make the problem harder to nail down unfortunately. Until then I am having to do all my arranging of photos in my legacy site where it works perfectly as it always has done. If I could keep just that bit of the old Smugmug I would be very happy and I still can't understand why they thought it necessary to overhaul it when it worked well for everybody before. Hopefully it will either be fixed soon or they will revert to the tried and trusted at least until they find out what the problems are because until they do, I cannot unveil.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    Hey guys, we did find some issues with sort thanks to the great info you guys provided! We are working on a fix. I will keep you posted.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    Heya Denise, I updated the other issue....we found some issues with this and are working on a fix. Merging threads
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    Heya Denise, I updated the other issue....we found some issues with this and are working on a fix. Merging threads
    Thanks Michael!

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    Michael -
    I thought I saw a note from you somewhere (in a thread I can't find right now) that said the manual sort was fixed. But I just retried my manual sort on a folder and it still doesn't work.

Is someone still working on the fix for this issue?

Thanks!

--- Denise
  • Options
    rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    It's possible this is the same problem reported in the thread Organizer manual sort bug? but that is talking about sorting a large number of photos. My problem is with sorting a small number of galleries within a folder. Entering a new bug report in order to avoid confusing two different issues.

I'm trying to re-order the galleries in the Family folder,

Am I missing something? I thought if I set the order to manual and reordered the galleries in organizer that this would change the display order in the folder.

--- Denise

I've been having the exact same problem since migration, and still as recently as this afternoon...
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    This is very basic functionality that is missing from the new smug.

can we get a status on this please?

--- Denise
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    I am having the same problem legacy sort had several years ago before it was fixed.

I sort my pictures manually, more or less chronologically, so I use Sort Manually and want new uploads to go to the top of the gallery.
    But when using Sort Manually the 9-1 icon greys out and goes to 1-9 causing the new upload to go to the bottom of the gallery.

This is a major problem because in a large gallery you have to move every uploaded picture back to the top of the gallery!
    In legacy sort both variables were available so you could drop pictures to the top of the gallery while using Sort Manually.

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    esterneesterne Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 21, 2013
    I will chime in to say I'm having similar problems with manual sort and awaiting a fix. Can't really move folders at all within a folder (nothing 'highlights' to drag to) and the galleries don't really change the way they should either.

A bit off topic, but the only reason I'm using manual sort is because I'm finding that when I move a folder/gallery into a new location, it seems to be 'reborn' there with a new creation date. Hence I moved a whole load of folders (previously old subcats) into a new location and now the old stuff is showing up at the top when I try to sort by creation date, decending (ie most recent at top.) Does anyone else see this or have a work-around?

Thanks!
    Emily

(ps Second paragraph no longer relevant, see my post below)
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    This is very basic functionality that is missing from the new smug.

can we get a status on this please?

--- Denise

Hi Denise,

We did fix a sort issue in the organizer, but maybe this isn't related. I will retest today can you take a video of the issue you are seeing?
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    We did fix a sort issue in the organizer, but maybe this isn't related. I will retest today can you take a video of the issue you are seeing?
    Michael -
    Oh yikes! I just found the problem, my bad! The display options on the galleries on that page was set to date created. Once I changed it to organizer position the order changed to the desired order.

It would be helpful if the display options were viewable from within organizer. Having to check and adjust in two places was my problem.

Thanks for checking and verifying that the sort fix is live.

--- Denise
  • Options
    esterneesterne Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 21, 2013
    Hi again, I just realized that I can't mix/mingle/manually sort my folders and my galleries together within a parent folder, is this correct?!? That would be why I can't move the folder where I want it?

emily

PS regarding my previous post about folders getting 'reborn....' I just figured out that it's the same issue there, that all the folders (my old subcats) are being displayed before all the individual galleries and that's why I thought it was assigning them newer creation dates. Sorry that I didn't diagnose this right the first time.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    I am having the same problem legacy sort had several years ago before it was fixed.

I sort my pictures manually, more or less chronologically, so I use Sort Manually and want new uploads to go to the top of the gallery.
    But when using Sort Manually the 9-1 icon greys out and goes to 1-9 causing the new upload to go to the bottom of the gallery.

This is a major problem because in a large gallery you have to move every uploaded picture back to the top of the gallery!
    In legacy sort both variables were available so you could drop pictures to the top of the gallery while using Sort Manually.

Cheers,

Any progress with this?
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013

Cheers,

Suffering here, tired of having to move every uploaded picture from the bottom of the gallery to the top!
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    You will never be able to please everyone. Some people want it one way, some people want it another and you can't include options for every individual preference. I think it makes much more sense for new images to be at the bottom by default but it only takes seconds to move them to where you want them in any case.