Options

[Implemented] Restore Bulk Collecting

awwaww Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited January 24, 2014 in SmugMug Feature Requests
The only way I've found to collect (not copy) photos from one gallery to another without using smart galleries is one at a time from the lightbox "share" tool. There is no option to "always use this gallery for collected photos" like there was in legacy SM. It looks like you have to collect photos one at a time, and select the target gallery each time. Surely there is a way to collect photos from the Organizer, but I don't see it. Am I missing something?

Comments

• Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    You're not missing a thing, that does appear be how they implement that feature. I find this to be annoying, clunky, and poorly thought out. I often collect multiple photos from one gallery into others. On legacy it was a breeze to hit the Collect Photos feature, click on all the ones I want, pick a destination, and then hit save. It didn't take a lot of time and was easy. Now, you have to open each image up in the light box and do them one at time! Thanks for making more work for me...

Also, if you deleted a collected photo from the gallery where the copy was placed, it used to just be deleted from that gallery. Now when you delete a photo from the copied to gallery, it also deletes the original image in its gallery! Brilliant! really...
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Restore Bulk Collecting
    Request: An efficient bulk image collecting tool that allows me to open a source gallery and simply click/unclick to select/deselect multiple images to be collected to a destination gallery. This existed in the legacy system, but the current design only allows the selection of one image at a time.

The SM-suggested Smart Gallery workaround has multiple disadvantages:
    • More work to initially collect (added keystrokes/clicks)
    • Less flexible & intuitive, more work to maintain (e.g., if I see a collected image in a gallery that I want to remove, I can't just click "Remove"; I have to first figure out which of its keywords is pulling it in, then remove the keyword)
    • Adversely affects keyword inventory (e.g., I'd need to add more granularity than I want there, junking up my keyword list)
    Related threads:
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • Options
    leronelerone Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    +1
  • Options
    Lost RiderLost Rider Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 11, 2013
    +2

After following the "workaround" using keywords I now have photos in smart galleries that I didn't add the keywords to, with no way to remove them. I've removed all keywords from the photos I don't want and they're still there, in the organize page it won't let me delete them either.

Efficient bulk management of collecting is much needed since the keyword process is tedious and seems buggy.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2013
    I really don't like having to do individually. It's a tedious pain in the butt, so I too want to see this implemented. I also like how a collected photo would have an automatically generated message with a hotlink back to the original. I started a feature request for that as well.

@those who can't get rid of them. I found you have to use the wrench icon in the lower right corner of the photo. I had been looking for it in the organizer, where you'd think you'd find it.
  • Options
    spispi Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 22, 2013
    +1
    I'm in love with the new Smugmug but, please add this feature back to the Organizer so that we can select multiple photos and collect them into a target gallery at once like with legacy.

For quick and easy sharing, smart galleries and keywords are not convenient.
  • Options
    toddbuchanantoddbuchanan Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2013
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    +1 for the obvious reasons already mentioned. Trying to figure out what was so wrong with legacy to begin with. Y'all could have just added all the new themes and tools. Nevermind...
  • Options
    Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    BigRed wrote: »
    Request: An efficient bulk image collecting tool that allows me to open a source gallery and simply click/unclick to select/deselect multiple images to be collected to a destination gallery. This existed in the legacy system, but the current design only allows the selection of one image at a time.

The SM-suggested Smart Gallery workaround has multiple disadvantages:
    • More work to initially collect (added keystrokes/clicks)
    • Less flexible & intuitive, more work to maintain (e.g., if I see a collected image in a gallery that I want to remove, I can't just click "Remove"; I have to first figure out which of its keywords is pulling it in, then remove the keyword)
    • Adversely affects keyword inventory (e.g., I'd need to add more granularity than I want there, junking up my keyword list)
    Related threads:

You can actually select multiple images using the CTRL button. Took me forever to figure that out. I was also missing the multiple selection via clicking on photos. This works, but many don't realize the option exists. Just hold down CTRL on your keyboard and click the photos you want. To select multiple photos in a row, hold shift and click.
    Photographic Artist Amber Flowers of Soul Gaze Photography, LLC.
    SmugMug setup & customization services. Contact me! :D
    Proud & helpful Smugger since 2009. Please hire me for Support Hero!!
    I first contacted Jill V. in April 2011 & I even wrote a poem.

• Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    You can actually select multiple images using the CTRL button. Took me forever to figure that out. I was also missing the multiple selection via clicking on photos. This works, but many don't realize the option exists. Just hold down CTRL on your keyboard and click the photos you want. To select multiple photos in a row, hold shift and click.

While you can select multiple images in the organizer, you cannot collect them as a group. You can only collect one image at a time.
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    Just realized we have a limited number of votes which limits the number of issues we can vote on. REMOVE THIS RESTRICTION for now. There are just WAY to many issues happening with the NEW SMugMug rollout that we need to have the ability to VOTE our opinion. This is ridiculous and is no help at all. Feedback is worthless now. Will be posting a New Thread in DGRIN Support about this. And don't make a dang feedback issue out it to vote on unless the voting restrictions are removed!:bigbs
  • Options
    ceasleyceasley Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    Collecting Multiple Photos
    Say I'd like to collect 30 photos from an unlisted gallery of 150 photos to show to the public. As it is now, the only way I see to do that is one by one which is ridiculously slow. Could we please have a tool in the organizer view that would let us select multiple photos and then collect them to another single gallery?

In organizer view the SHARE icon is listed as a PUBLISH icon and only directs to publishing on Facebook. Could you make the SHARE in the organizer similar to what we have for the individual photo view? i.e. it should have Share to Facebook, Share to Google+, Tweet, Email, Get a Link, Show Off, and Collect and we should be able to select multiple photos for each of those functions.

Thanks!
    Colleen Easley

Visit my website

Photography is my vehicle for discovery!
  • Options
    TheOnlookerTheOnlooker Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    There are Smart Galleries that will allow you to take care of that. All you need to do is make sure you are including photos from unlisted/password protected galleries and you could collect multiple photos that way.

-Kevin
    Support Hero
  • Options
    ceasleyceasley Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    Thank you Kevin. I have been trying that, and it does work. I just didn't want to clutter up my keywords with meaningless info every time and thought collections would be a better option.
    Colleen Easley

Visit my website

Photography is my vehicle for discovery!
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    There are Smart Galleries that will allow you to take care of that. All you need to do is make sure you are including photos from unlisted/password protected galleries and you could collect multiple photos that way.

-Kevin
    Support Hero
    Indeed, but there's a reason why we have two ways of doing it. Both ways should work and both ways should have multi-photo options. With the current reported problems with keywording, I'd rather use "collect" than be dependent on how SM is/isn't breaking multi-word keywords, keywords with apostrophes etc. In short, when keywording fails, keyworded smart galleries fail. AFAIK, there are no such problems with "collect".
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2013
    Problem with Collecting Multiple Photos is a BUG & needs to be in Bug Reporting!

-Kevin
    Support Hero

Yes (What BeardedGit said...) this is really no answer. With all the keyword issues right now (many of 'em!) these two tools do not do the same thing. And for me, they really never did do the same thing. Here's a big problem that it seems few people think of when assuming these two methods could achieve the same results: I have some photos shown twice or more in different galleries of my website (for instance, the same photo may show up in a "Plants" gallery, a "Favorites" gallery, and a "Green" gallery) So the keyword "green", for instance, will bring that same photo to a Smart Gallery 3 times if I tell it to use the keyword "green" to find certain photos. Just one small example why this is a Bug that needs to be fixed, as it is not functioning as it was meant to, isn't going to work with people transferring from Old to New, and doesn't function as it was designed to or expected to.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2013
    This is an active thread on this subject already on this forum. Will the mod merge them?
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2013
    Not being able to to do batch collecting in the organizer, and having to do them ONE @ A TIME is adding extra time for me this morning... just saying...
  • Options
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    Darter02 wrote: »
    This is an active thread on this subject already on this forum. Will the mod merge them?
    Thanks! I've just merged the two threads.

--- Denise
  • Options
    DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2013
    this poorly thought out klunky way of collecting photos needs to be totally redone. I mean seriously what a pain! I also liked the ability of choosing what images i wanted to collect at one time, whether one image or many, i could do it easily. The way i have to do it now is a pain.

SMUGMUG - check out how FLICKR does it now after their forced 'upgrade'/change. You upload one, or many photo(s), you choose what happens on ONE screen. You choose what set (gallery) to place it in, whether in one set or many, you choose what group(s) you want to also place the image(s) into (if any), then upload. Flickr does it for you. It uploads the image(s), places the image(s) into the proper set(s) and if chosen to do so, also places them into what groups you've indicated. simple. slick. makes me a happy camper/customer.

I dont use keywords. Not planing on started either.

I dont want a share button on my site.

I dont want to have to dig around for ways around things, it should be easy for us to do what we want to do.

I dont want to make a copy then move the copy

I read in a forum once before last year i think, that sm was working on things that 99% of smugmuggers wanted and that what the people in that particular forum wanted would have to wait - well, we are smugmuggers/customers too.

Dont make changes for the sake of change then shove it down our throats. Not everyone wanted/wants to migrate over to the new SM (me included).

But do give us what we want.

doing what the previous poster indicated to try, well it worked but very very klunky and it also places a second copy of the photo in my Recent Posts gallery. NOT GOOD. this didnt happen before with the legacy site. >:(

Derek
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    migreenmigreen Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2013
    This is a huge problem for me as well.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2013
    Its annoyed me so much that i had to remove my 'recent photos' gallery. ne_nau.gif

First off its so klunky to collect photos, and secondly it places extra copies (from collecting photos and placing them into another gallery) into the recent photos gallery. Why does it see a collected photo as another uploaded photo!?! ne_nau.gif

HUGE step backward.

And just when can we expect any replies from SM?

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2013
    I've pretty much ignored this thread because I don't use the collecting feature very often. But I had to use it recently and WOW. It took me a minute to figure out that the share icon in organizer means something completely different from the identical share icon in lightbox. The good thing I realized after collecting a bunch of photos is that the previous destination gallery is pre selected when you return to the collect tool. They got that right. Otherwise, all I can say is wow. I love the look of my new site, but my list of reasons to keep legacy alive is growing. Wish I could unveil, but smugmug has a REALLY long way to go before I want to give up my easy to use site. I'm amazed how much smugmug sacrificed functionality for looks. It's much worse than I ever predicted. And I predicted this was the direction they'd go.

Dave
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2013
    Derek . .

I'm sending you by PM an exchange I had with the Heroes on this issue.

Mitch
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2013
    Mitch:

Thanks for the PM. Interesting. Interesting to see that basically they dont care they are screwing over a lot of us who depended on this feature. Interesting to note that they may have made a mistake and are not owning up to it.

Interesting to note that they are treating something we already had was taken away and that we are to consider it an added value feature to be given back to us in the future.

What pure utter bs.

Interesting to see what I do when my site is up for renewal, if i stay or go to another company. Ive been a paying customer here for a very long time.

Derek

• Options
    edited October 4, 2013
    I'm not sure another company would be better.

But . . I've been around here a long time too. I'm much more distressed about the lack of candor than I am about the omission. People are still being mis-advised about what features get lost when one unveils, and also about the fact the the firewall between new and old (for those who are still "playing" with the new SM before unveiling) is far from complete. I've always liked to think of SM as a community, even though the owners are making money, but that implies an obligation of honesty and good faith, and that's often been lacking lately.

That's not to knock the hard work being put in by the developers, or by many of the Heroes . . I've had some excellent help from some of them, and even some candor. But the forced cheeriness, the rah-rah attitude, the refusal to recognize or acknowledge real issues (I've got another one going that would curl your hair) makes me want to puke. We can all think positively, but if its going to work, it has to be from an atmosphere of trust and, above all, reality.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2013
    I totally agree that ive recieved a tremndous amount of help from either SM volunteers/ helpers, and from other smugmuggers in the past. Ive also recieved a lot of help from one in particular (Denise, thank you -very- much) when i bit the bullet to migrate over the last couple weeks but it seems the lack of help/tranparency from the higher ups is what puts the bad taste in my mouth.

I also agree that they have not been honest or open about what we would lose if we migrated over. Maybe they knew this information would anger a lot of their customers but seroiusly - they do need to be honest about this stuff. For people like you and me who depend on certain features to not be aware of what we are losing just blows my mind how upsetting it makes me, esp reading how they dont seem to care or dont seem to consider thinks like a proper photo collection system as being important! eek7.gif

Only thing we heard about then then new SM was how nice it is. How easy it is. Ive found it harder in the sense i finally figured out how to do things and then they changed it all.

I understand that the changes are good, and maybe even necessary but dont take things we depend on for our site away in the process. Then make it sound like im to consider it a gift if we do get it back

Reality of it is, if they wont give me what i want/had and someone else will then i will go to another company. And thats being honest on my part. Listen up SM.

Still no reply from anyone from SM heroes on this thread. Kinda shake my head at that. And if any do - be honest with us.

Derek

• Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2013
    migreen wrote: »
    I'm not sure another company would be better.

I got annoyed enough to leave after being a smugmug customer for over 7 years. Third party migration tools make the transition slightly less painful... though not exactly fun or easy. I signed up for probably my 5th zenfolio trial over the years to see how much greener the grass is over there. In some ways I wish I had started there. I'd be used to their faults by now. Unfortunately, as much as I wanted to love it and say goodbye to smugmug, I just couldn't do it. I have quite a few complaints about new smug. Unfortunately zenfolio would have a lot of the same issues for me, or even worse. Like keyword management. I've complained to smugmug about how bad the bulk caption/keyword tool is. Zenfolio doesn't even have a similar tool. I hate how hard smugmug has made it to edit captions and keywords in new smug. It's harder on zenfolio. But here's the thing. If smugmug doesn't improve those areas, I'll really have to start doing captions and keywords in Lightroom. If I'm going to do that, I might as well move to zenfolio.

New smug really helps level the playing field for smugmug's competition. If I'm forced to unveil and smugmug hasn't fixed major ui issues, I don't see why I'd stay. For now, legacy works fine, minus the features they removed and bugs they introduced.

Dave