Options

New design crashing on mobile devices

androidtandroidt Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited August 20, 2013 in SmugMug Support
I first must say I LOVE the new SmugMug! It was very much worth the wait and exceeded expectations. Well done to the entire SM team.

I published my site yesterday and have noticed it continually crashes both Chrome and Safari on my Ipad (works fine on my pc). It seems like it is just the homepage that crashes. If I navigate to another page on my site, it doesn't crash but as soon as i go to the homepage, CRASH. The strange thing is, I tested about a dozen other new SM websites and they all load fine and do not crash.

My new site is based on the Nyx theme. I did very little customization. The only CSS that was used was to remove the SM footer, which I replaced with text, and also to hide keywords in galleries. Other than that, all the tweaks I made were with the new SM tools.

Any idea what is causing this?

Thanks,

Andrew

Comments

• Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 12, 2013
    Hey, sorry about the crashes. I tried to reproduce on a few different iPads here and your site loaded wonderfully on each one. Which iPad model do you have?
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    WiscoFrankWiscoFrank Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    Working on my iPad 1 with IOS 5.1.1. What iOS version are you on?
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2013
    Sheaf wrote: »
    Hey, sorry about the crashes. I tried to reproduce on a few different iPads here and your site loaded wonderfully on each one. Which iPad model do you have?

It's a 3rd gen. with IOS 6.1.3
    Safari and Chrome apps are up to date. I cleared the cache in each program to ensure my old site was purged and not causing the crashing.

Also tested it on a 1st gen ipad and it crashed.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2013
    androidt wrote: »
    It's a 3rd gen. with IOS 6.1.3
    Safari and Chrome apps are up to date. I cleared the cache in each program to ensure my old site was purged and not causing the crashing.

Also tested it on a 1st gen ipad and it crashed.

Hmmm... I'll keep poking at it. I'm out of town currently and don't have access to more iPads. I'll see what I can do.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    WiscoFrankWiscoFrank Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    Sheaf - Just noticed another thread saying multi level drop-down menus are failing on iPads. Confirmed it on several sites .. same sites tend to work on my desk system browser. Here's the thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=238703
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    Crossing my fingers, but I believe we tracked this down and fixed it. Can you check again?
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    Thank you WiscoFrank and Sheaf for looking into this problem.

I got rid of multilevel links and it is still crashing.

Very odd that I can load other new SM sites with no problems while only my site crashes.

Cleared the browser caches again, still crashing. Uninstalled/reinstalled Chrome, still crashing. Installed two browsers I have never installed before, Mercury Browser and Puffin Browser. Mercury Browser crashed. Although Puffin is very slow to load the homepage and images, it doesn't crash.

As a last resort, I'm backing up my content so I can reset the ipad, will post the results.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    I performed an "Erase All Content and Settings" on the ipad. I set it back up as a new device as opposed to syncing with my itunes backup. I did this to ensure no legacy data or setting from my old site would be copied back onto the ipad. Still crashes my site.

...no idea what to do next.... headscratch.gif
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    androidt wrote: »
    I performed an "Erase All Content and Settings" on the ipad. I set it back up as a new device as opposed to syncing with my itunes backup. I did this to ensure no legacy data or setting from my old site would be copied back onto the ipad. Still crashes my site.

...no idea what to do next.... headscratch.gif

HmmmmmmWe will keep looking into this with more iPads, although I find it humorous the guy named Android is using an iPad rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    [QUOTE=mbonocore;1896228although I find it humorous the guy named Android is using an iPad rolleyes1.gif[/QUOTE]

I agree its humorous :D In my defense, I started using that nickname long before the android os existed.

Just tested my site on a 4th gen ipad and it worked fine. The only common variable I can come up with between the two ipads that my site crashes on is they both previously had my old website loaded. But if legacy data from my old site was the cause, resetting my ipad should have solved the issue.

Thanks for looking into this issue.
  • Options
    VNemethVNemeth Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    Sheaf wrote: »
    Hmmm... I'll keep poking at it. I'm out of town currently and don't have access to more iPads. I'll see what I can do.

Sheaf
    I don't have a problem with crashes but css code not showing up on different computers. I adjusted my site using some code especially my slideshow. My pc and ipad shows the changes. Some MAC's show them others don't. My slide show has rounded corners and drop shadow. On some computers it still shows the square corners and no drop shadow.
    www.vnemeth.com

Any idea
    Thanks
    Vic