Options

Smugmug multi-word keywords broken (also SM Lightroom Plugin broken)

FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
edited August 16, 2013 in SmugMug Support
In Lightroom you can have multi-word keywords. For example, I had a gallery with "Vacation May 2009".

Previously I used JF's plugin, and this was uploaded as one keyword.

When it is displayed in SM (the original from JF's upload) it appears as

Vacation May 2009

Note no quotes.

When you publish with the LR plugin (2.0.2.1 just downloaded), it comes out as:

Vacation; May; 2009

In otherwords three separate keywords. This is not entirely a plugin problem. If I key them in from the Smugmug screen without semi-colons and without quotes, it ALSO adds in semi-colons.

To make it more interesting, if I key in:

"Vacation May 2009"

With quotes, into SM's web interface, and save it, then display it again -- it comes up:

Vacation May 2009

without quotes. Then if I save THAT it puts in semi-colons and now I have three keywords and not one multi-word keyword.

I never used the regular SM plugin before, and just used JF's for upload, so I very rarely ever hand-edited before the new smugmug, so not sure if this is a new "feature" or not. But it sure looks wrong, especially the part about adding the quotes and having them automatically removed and THEN having them made into individual keywords.

A bit more: You can also add a single semi-colon at the end of the three:

Vacation May 2009;

On the first save this is treated much as quotes, meaning that the result (if you edit again) is:

Vacation May 2009

But if you save THAT you end up once again with;

Vacation; May; 2009

Just plain broken I think.

Comments

• Options
    The MechanicThe Mechanic Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    You will need to add a separator to your key words if you want them to remain together.

Vacation May 2009 >> Will result in Vacation | May | 2009

Vacation May 2009; >> Will result in Vacation May 2009 | next word

Vacation May 2009; Vacation; May; 2009; >> Will result in Vacation May 2009 | Vacation | May | 2009

You can use a comma or semicolon in either case as a separator.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2013
    You will need to add a separator to your key words if you want them to remain together.

You can use a comma or semicolon in either case as a separator.

I perhaps wasn't clear. I tried that.

Start with nothing.

Edit, add: Vacation May 2009;

Save

Edit again, and see: Vacation May 2009

(Notice no trailing punctuation).

Save again.

Now you have: Vacation; May; 2009

Editing and changing nothing should -- well, change nothing. It does.

BUT HOWEVER... I realize the above is a bit cosmetic, as one can work around it manually, the real issue comes in the plugin. THERE IS NO WAY TO FORCE PUNCTUATION IN LIGHTROOM, so far as I know.

So when lightroom sends the phrase (as one keyword) "Vacation May 2009" it immediately becomes three keywords. Which is WRONG. And as best I can tell there is no workaround.
  • Options
    The MechanicThe Mechanic Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    You are correct, if you add no separator to the end of that chain of words it will update as three keywords. You will need to add >> Vacation May 2009; << to get a keyword made up of three words. You may need to clear you cache and cookies if you are not seeing or having trouble getting this to update.

Lightroom will not hold the last separator, so you could set these keywords as Vacation May 2009, Z in LR to hold your keywords in place.

You can use individual keywords as well to allow for more search options, like: may+2009 or vacation+may or vacation+may+2009 or vacation+2009

I will see what we can do from the LR Plugin Side to add a keyword separator to the keyword block upon upload. I am not sure its possible for us to add this, but I can see what can be done.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2013
    You are correct, if you add no separator to the end of that chain of words it will update as three keywords. You will need to add >> Vacation May 2009; << to get a keyword made up of three words. You may need to clear you cache and cookies if you are not seeing or having trouble getting this to update.

Please try this.

Open an image with NO keywords.

Edit and add a keyword like

A B C;

Save.

Open the image again, edit. Just hit save (you'll see the ; is missing).

Open the image again, and you will see the keywords are:

A; B; C

That's just wrong. IT is not caching or anything, it is that you are stripping the final punctuation when it is saved, and not putting it back on display if it's multiple words.

HOWEVER AGAIN...

Suppose you enter:

A B; C D;

Which should be two keywords. What happens then is correct -- for whatever reason it continues to maintain them as separate phrases. Which is completely inconsistent with the first example.
    Lightroom will not hold the last separator, so you could set these keywords as Vacation May 2009, Z in LR to hold your keywords in place.

So if I understand you, the only way to have a keyword phrase is to have multiple keywords on a photo?
    You can use individual keywords as well to allow for more search options, like: may+2009 or vacation+may or vacation+may+2009 or vacation+2009

Yes, but 11,000 images aren't done this way. Yes, I probably could change them quickly in lightroom. Not sure I really want them coded that way, but it's a consideration if I MUST have multiple keywords to have multi-word keywords. However, having done so I'm not sure I want to upload that many (is it smart enough to send JUST the keywords and not the image)?

I will see what we can do from the LR Plugin Side to add a keyword separator to the keyword block upon upload. I am not sure its possible for us to add this, but I can see what can be done.

I suspect there are two issues here, but it all relates to how you internally communicate a single keyword that has multiple words. That the edit screen mis-handles it as well says the issue is beyond the plugin.

But what's happening for me is that as the lightroom plugin syncs up -- for reasons unknown whole galleries are showing a need to re-publish -- all my keywords are being slowly changed.

In thousands of images.

That's really annoying. I hope there's going to be a way to "fix" it as well, and get it back how I had them.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2013
    Incidentally I just tested uploading with JF's plugin instead of SM's, and it does NOT separate keywords. It has other issues, such as captions/titles, but apparently there is a way to upload multi-word keywords that goes in properly.

Now having uploaded if I call it up in edit and save -- they go separate ways again.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2013
    Example #1:

1) I deleted an image from a gallery, and from the collection in smugmug's plugin. Not there at all. The image had the keyword "Cardboard Regatta".

2) I put the image back in the collection in lightroom, and did a "Publish now".

3) It CORRECTLY came up as one keyword having two words.

Example #2:

1) I took an image in the gallery with the keyword "Cardboard regatta" and in lightroom removed it (no keywords at all).

2) I published, and CORRECTLY smugmug shows no keywords.

3) I put the keyword back "Cardboard regatta" and it showed modified in the collection (notice the image stayed in the collection the whole time, and stayed in the gallery the whole time).

4) I published, and it INCORRECTLY showed up as two separate keywords of one word each.

So update and initial publish are NOT consistent. And it's update that is killing me -- something (maybe this) is making it think it needs to republish LOTS Of images, and as it does so it separates the keywords.
  • Options
    pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    Ferguson wrote: »
    Please try this.

Open an image with NO keywords.

Edit and add a keyword like

A B C;

Save.

Open the image again, edit. Just hit save (you'll see the ; is missing).

Open the image again, and you will see the keywords are:

A; B; C

That's just wrong. IT is not caching or anything, it is that you are stripping the final punctuation when it is saved, and not putting it back on display if it's multiple words.

I haven't seen Smugmug acknowledge this issue with updating keywords yet...but this is clearly a bug. You might move this to (or report it in) the "report a bug" section of the forum.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
    The Mechanic?

Should I open a help desk ticket instead?

Is there a misunderstanding I have somewhere?
  • Options
    guyguy Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    Example #1:

1) I deleted an image from a gallery, and from the collection in smugmug's plugin. Not there at all. The image had the keyword "Cardboard Regatta".

2) I put the image back in the collection in lightroom, and did a "Publish now".

3) It CORRECTLY came up as one keyword having two words.

Example #2:

1) I took an image in the gallery with the keyword "Cardboard regatta" and in lightroom removed it (no keywords at all).

2) I published, and CORRECTLY smugmug shows no keywords.

3) I put the keyword back "Cardboard regatta" and it showed modified in the collection (notice the image stayed in the collection the whole time, and stayed in the gallery the whole time).

4) I published, and it INCORRECTLY showed up as two separate keywords of one word each.

So update and initial publish are NOT consistent. And it's update that is killing me -- something (maybe this) is making it think it needs to republish LOTS Of images, and as it does so it separates the keywords.

Wow, just confirmed this with my site ;^(..

I've always entered multi word kewords using quotes like this "A B C" giving me one keyword A B C. This works but like you say if you then reopen the edit box for any reason, to work on the title or caption or anything & then save again the one keyword then becomes three A; B; C; That's just nuts!

It seems this only happens if you use the photo Title, caption, keyword edit box, if you use the bulk caption keyword editor this does not happen.
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    This really needs to go in Bug Reporting, and emphasized to get an official response from SmugMug that they truly understand it's a pretty huge bug and needs attention pronto so that a lot of damage is prevented. If they let it go on, it's going to create mountains of work for lots of people, including SmugMug itself. We also need to know that they understand it's a bug and completely comprehend the issues. The response from The Mechanic indicates he doesn't really understand it / didn't thoroughly listen to the problem.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Moderator?
    This really needs to go in Bug Reporting.

I can start a new thread there or... are there moderators around who could just move it and carry the context...?
  • Options
    guyguy Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    I can start a new thread there or... are there moderators around who could just move it and carry the context...?

Here is an example for them so they know what we are talking about:

The photo below shows comments & a single multi word keyword that was set in legacy SM.

smkeyword1-L.jpg

So I go into edit photo deatails to make use of the new Title Field & update my comments, I make no changes to the keyword feild but after saving the update I now have 4 separate keywords instead of 1!

smkeyword2-L.jpg