filenames, titles and captions

martintylermartintyler Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited April 28, 2014 in Bug Reporting
I have 'show filenames' turned on, which says something like 'use filenames when there is no caption'

I just tested this with 4 photos, setup with different combinations of title and caption.

Photo with title and caption
  • Lightbox shows title and caption
  • Gallery shows title and caption
  • Page shows title and caption

Photo with no title, but has a caption
  • Lightbox shows filename and caption
  • Gallery shows just caption *
  • Page shows just caption *

Photo with title, but no caption
  • Lightbox shows just title
  • Gallery shows just title
  • Page shows just title

Photo with no title and no caption
  • Lightbox shows just filename
  • Gallery shows nothing *
  • Page shows nothing *

In my opinion the 'use filename instead of caption' is actually a 'use filename instead of title' and that it only works for the lightbox, but it should work for photos in gallery mode and on pages with photos on them.

This got highlighted to me because for some reason (reported in another thread) the titles of my photos in Lightroom are not getting through to SmugMug.

Comments

• GRBlizzGRBlizz Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    I have 'show filenames' turned on, which says something like 'use filenames when there is no caption'

I just tested this with 4 photos, setup with different combinations of title and caption.

• Page shows just title

• Page shows nothing *

In my opinion the 'use filename instead of caption' is actually a 'use filename instead of title' and that it only works for the lightbox, but it should work for photos in gallery mode and on pages with photos on them.

This got highlighted to me because for some reason (reported in another thread) the titles of my photos in Lightroom are not getting through to SmugMug.

Any response from SM Heroes yet? I have also placed something in the Bug reports area, and no reply.
  • martintylermartintyler Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    GRBlizz wrote: »
    Any response from SM Heroes yet? I have also placed something in the Bug reports area, and no reply.

No.

Turns out, as raised elsewhere, that my titles from Lightroom are ok when it uploads a new photo, but clears the title when an existing photo is updated.

But regardless of that, my findings above still constitute inconsistent behaviour and a badly documented feature
  • GRBlizzGRBlizz Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    No.

Turns out, as raised elsewhere, that my titles from Lightroom are ok when it uploads a new photo, but clears the title when an existing photo is updated.

But regardless of that, my findings above still constitute inconsistent behaviour and a badly documented feature

I use Aperture, not Lightroom, so there is no "Title" field. But in any case, the feature we had - and on which I built a lot of my workflow - was that Filenames would be displayed as captions when no caption was present.

I have a Legacy account active for my business, and then my personal account on new SM. What I see is that, in the migration, all the filenames of my existing files got ported into the "captions" fields on new SM. In legacy, the filenames displayed in the caption spot, but did not populate the "caption" field in the "captions and keywords" view.

In Legacy, Lightbox view showed only one (caption if present, keyword if not). In new, it shows both. And only captions appear in the collage views.

I can wait for it to be fixed, but I sure would like some acknowledgment that the behavior is not right and they'll work on it.
  • BuckarooBuckaroo Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 25, 2013
    Need Filenames showing all the time, not just without a caption
    In "Legacy" smugmug, we were able to "turn on" filenames all the time with the following CSS code:

[HTML]
    #fileNameBox {
    text-align: center !important;
    }
    #fileNameBoxWrapper {
    display: block !important;
    }
    [/HTML]

I've been studying the source produced for the new smugmug pages, but it appears to change every time the browser refreshes (some temporary number generator is used in javascript it seems). I think this is going to take someone in the smugmug coding department to give us a javascript "hook" to display the original filename of the photo or video under the title and caption.
  • CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2013
    Buckaroo wrote: »
    to display the original filename of the photo or video under the title and caption.

This would be an awesome addition!!! I add titles & captions but need clients to see the filenames for reference when they request something done, etc. I've tried using the 6 of 43 displayed route but that number is not fixed permanent and results in a huge mess.
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • KyleCKyleC Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    We really need the ability to show the filename in all display modes regardless of whether a caption is present or not. These should not be mutually exclusive options! Thank you!
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    I have submitted this to my QA team to investigate. I will keep you posted.
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Someone (in another thread, I think) had some very clear, concise charts showing the behavior of various filename, titles & captions fields in both gallery & lightbox views and depending upon whether the original file from Legacy had or didn't have them.... or something like that. Wish I could find it but don't have time now. The thread had a title including some of the same words as this title. The whole thing was also related or linked to the "Replace Photo" function, which keeps or loses some of these fields based upon what was already there.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Ron LudekensRon Ludekens Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    File names are needed in addition to whatever is done with Titles or captions. My customers need to tell me the file name when corresponding with me. Thank you
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2013
    Ahh, here's that handy chart I'd mentioned; it's right here, the first post in this very thread! (oops) I just wanted to bring it up again so that the Bug Fixers would have it at the top for troubleshooting this. Martin did a great job of testing it.

• Page shows just title

• Page shows nothing *

Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • awgPhotoawgPhoto Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2013
    There is one simple thing that SMUGMUG developers can do for all of us users. They need to provide tick boxes to display the key information elements for all images ie. FILENAME, caption, description, camera/exposure details. As a professional wedding and portrait photographer I need to be able to communicate precisely with my clients what image they are referring to. Therefore, it is essential that FILENAMES are available for display by DEFAULT. There should be no need for us users to keep asking how we can get around the problem by customizing our sites. Come on SMUGMUG get you act together!
    edited October 24, 2013
    any update on this Smugmug?

not really been on these forums much since the first few weeks of the new Smugmug - but I haven't noticed much change in terms of the various things I reported back then, a bit disappointing really!

still can't edit titles in the organiser
    still can't customise galleries like you can for pages or folder pages - REALLY STUPID AND ANNOYING!
    still can't manually order sub folders in the organiser

while checking this title/caption/filename thing I noticed another bug.... from the lightbox I edit a photo (to add a title for example), when i go back to the gallery view (collage portrait if it matters) and the photo I edited has been duplicated and added to the bottom. Reloading sorts it out.
  • pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2013
    any update on this Smugmug?

while checking this title/caption/filename thing I noticed another bug.... from the lightbox I edit a photo (to add a title for example), when i go back to the gallery view (collage portrait if it matters) and the photo I edited has been duplicated and added to the bottom. Reloading sorts it out.

Martin, that last issue looks like a different bug than the one reported in this thread...you might want to submit it under its own new thread in case that helps Smugmug to notice it.
    edited October 27, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »

Any update on this?
  • CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2014
    This is DESPERATELY needed ASAP as a simple smugmug standard gallery option to display original filenames regardless of what else is or isn't displayed. I NEED this now. I don't want to add paypal buttons… just show filenames. Any Updates?
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2014
    Cindy, I know you said you didn't want to add PayPal buttons, but just in case...

This is available as a side-effect of my Chrome extension to "add PayPal cart buttons to your galleries":

http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/SmugMug-for-Chrome/PayPal

If you install that extension, you can enter this as your "paypal button code" when asked:

Filename: $FILENAME

Select your photos and click "add paypal buttons", you'll end up with the photo filename automatically added to the bottom of your photo captions:

http://i.imgur.com/t28qyOsl.jpg

(it won't add any PayPal stuff to your gallery, just those filenames for you)
  • TravWilliamsTravWilliams Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2014
    I'm throwing my hat in the ring in support of this need. It's pretty basic, as far as customer service workflow, to be able to communicate with clients about specific images.

Does the Paypal Button method also list Filenames in the gallery view of a collage display?

Some notes for developers about why this is needed:

- I use "Title" for actual titles of images and for copyright info.

- I use "Caption" for copyright info, especially since there are more than one photographers working on a shoot. I want this to remain as-is, so that a photo uploaded straight to, say, Facebook, keeps that info front and center.

- I use "FileName" for the numerical listing of images in a shoot.
    -Sometimes those images appear in multiple galleries (such as "Trav's Favorites from Shoot Z" and "Full batch, Shoot Z"), which makes the "x of y" reference messy and inconsistent.
    - If I decide to delete a few images from or add to a 200-image gallery, the "x of y" system also falls apart.

I will, in the meantime, need to keep deleting all of my captions in Lightroom in order to upload things from Lightroom to Smugmug, which makes it difficult to differentiate different shoots from a client, or different photographers.

Thanks! Updates would be great--

--Trav--