Options

Pianist headshots

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited August 30, 2013 in People
Just a straight-up headshot shoot this time, but I felt like I was a little more on my game than last week. Fewer focusing problems too; still haven't figured out what that was about :scratch

In any case..... C&C always welcomed!

i-XPnSjkB-L.jpg

i-CPCcNXh-L.jpg

i-2s8jC6b-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    These are nice. I really like #1. You captured her graceful and dexterous fingers along with a nice smile and composition.

I don't like how you cropped the hand in #3.

Any shots at the piano? I've tried for 10 years to get a decent piano portrait with no success!
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    Yeah, I wish I hadn't clipped the hand in 3, but I can live with it like that and preferred it with to cropping it out entirely.

No piano shots for this; I don't have a grand at home, and she didn't strictly speaking want a shot at the piano anyway fortunately! There's the classic "under the lid" shot, but they're always tricky....

I have to say I think this one and this one are really cool....
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    I like #1 as well. I would have liked to see a little more refelction off the piano.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    yup the hand position in 1 really makes it
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    # 1 her face is really bright
    # 2 good one
    # 3 I would crop the arms
    :photo
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    # 1 her face is really bright

I'm getting 238/238/238 on the brightest part of the forehead highlight.

What is the maximum people think is acceptable for a highlight in a portrait? I tend to edit to the bright side by choice, but since this is the second time in 12hrs and two different images I've been called out on brightness, probably time to think about this a bit more. All feedback welcomed.....

PS Yes, my monitor is calibrated. I've found that prints are coming out PERFECTLY according to what I"m seeing, but the screen when calibrated is less bright and contrasty than others I've used. I do always check on multiple screens (even if only my phone) just to be sure I'm not missing something; these have seemed ok, but maybe I'm pushing them too hot?