edited January 6, 2014 in Bug Reporting
Hi...

How to reproduce:
- Select a custom page or system page like url/search
- Select Customize > Customize site
- Customizer opens with "Just this page"
- Select Preview > You get the custom page preview
- Select Customize to make some changes to that custom page

You get back to the customize mode but the "Just this page" entry has gone and you only can edit Entire Site, Homepage, All folders or All galleries. If you want to continue to customize the custom page you have to select Done > Publish > Go to Custome page > Customize again.

P.S. happens also if you "Make this folder custom" and select "Preview > Customize". The "Just this folder" entry has gone and you need to publish / customize again.

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2013
    Thanks for the report. I do see the same and will pass it on. However, you do not have to click on done > publish now. If you don't want to publish the changes yet, you could just click on done > save for later and when you then go back to that page and customize it, you'll see the changes you previously made.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2013
    However, you do not have to click on done > publish now. If you don't want to publish the changes yet, you could just click on done > save for later and when you then go back to that page and customize it, you'll see the changes you previously made.

Thanks, yes i know that already... does not make things easier since i have to leave customizer and then come back again anyway.

Thanks for checking that issue. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2013
    Any news on that? I got hit by that "bug" while testing the new map features... i created a new custom page, wanted to customize/add a map to it, selected preview and exit took me to customize the homepage, the custom page entry "Just this page" has gone.

Currently there is no way to preview a custom page and continue to edit it without exit customizer, navigate to the custom page and open customizer again (except typing the correct URL manually to the address bar of your browser).

P.S. i think this was mentioned already... but even more worse is that if you customize a custom page and select preview/exit and then want to exit the customizer discard all changes, the changes made to the custom page have been saved!
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2013
    Phaser,

I will bump this and see if I can get an update.

Michael
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2013
    OK... since there has been no fix for this problem (also mentioned here) i contacted the HELP DESK and guess what... i was suggested to save the changes for later, go back to the page i want to customize and select "CUSTOMIZE" again. Really nice.

Last time i was affected by that was when customizing my /search page. After i made some changes i had to publish, check the changes "live" and select CUSTOMIZE again only because the "PREVIEW" does not work as expected (yes, i could also select "DONE - Save for later" and reopen my page in the customizer... just another workaround for this bug).

My tip: Modify the URL in the address bar. Example:

You want to edit the /404-page. Open the page and select CUSTOMIZE. The URL in the address bar looks like that:
    http://phaserbeam.smugmug.com/404#customize
    The Text in red is that part you should keep in mind. Now select "PREVIEW" and "CUSTOMIZE". You will get back to the customizer/editor. The URL in the address bar has changed.
    http://phaserbeam.smugmug.com/customize/xxxxxx#customize
    The green part is what you need to change now... simply replace it with the path to the page you want to edit. In this case replace the green text with 404, the red text from above. You're done...

You can also save a bookmark for the page before you select "PREVIEW". Once you are back in the customizer/editor simply open the bookmark for the selected page and you can continue to customize your page. See screenshot.

This works for all pages you cannot reach by using the navigation menu on the right. If you know the path to the page, simply replace the part of the URL in the address bar.

A shame that we need to work around for this bug for months now :cry
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2014
    Wow! Could this thing really be fixed now?

i don't see a "CUSTOMIZE" button when i select "PREVIEW" but "EXIT" will bring me back to the customize mode *AND* the previously selected page. Great!

clap.gif