Options

Thanks for breaking my caption centering, SM!

beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
edited December 26, 2013 in SmugMug Support
WTF??? Another "hit & run" change. Captions now off-centre, unwanted "Owner Buy" cart icons all over the shop.

What's the deal, SM?

I do so hope that you've provided a way to turn off these cart icons.

shitecart.jpg
Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!

Comments

• Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2013
    I should think it would be a lot more effective to contact Smugmug directly on this issue.
    Merry Christmas - hope you get it sorted.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2013
    Yep.. there is a way to turn off those "Owner Buy" cart icons. Here is the trick: log OUT of your account! Here is what a regular, non-logged in, user sees. The only reason you see the cart icon is because you are logged into your own account:

beardedgit.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2013
    mishenka wrote: »
    Yep.. there is a way to turn off those "Owner Buy" cart icons. Here is the trick: log OUT of your account! Here is what a regular, non-logged in, user sees. The only reason you see the cart icon is because you are logged into your own account:

I know what you see, and I know that I won't see them logged out.

Yesterday I couldn't see them when logged in, today I can, I've changed nothing. SM has caused this.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2013
    I do not remember if I ever saw the "Owner Buy" cart icon as you hoover over the thumbnails while logged in. You very well might be correct that it is a new thing. If it is in fact a new thing - it was not caused (as a negative thing) by SM, it was added by SM:) It actually saves me, as an account holder, extra click to buy something since I can do it directly from the thumbnail. Hey, I am the last person to defend SM, but I do not see how it negatively impacts you considering the fact only you, as an account holder, have access to this function.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2013
    It is a new thing. If there were any release notes, they would say so.

You say added, I say caused. Have the cart icons added my caption centering to break? No, they've caused my caption centering to break.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2013
    Merry Christmas!
    SMcart.jpg

p.s. do you think it is centered?
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2013
    Ho Ho Ho
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2013
    Bearded, I'm amazed at what upsets you so much. With all of your needs, maybe SM just isn't the right place for you. With your skills, you could make your own photo site, I bet, and be much happier, no? Your site looks like it always has, captions are centered. No shopping cart icon. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    Bearded, I'm amazed at what upsets you so much.
    It's quite simple - I get it looking the way I like it, and then somebody else without login rights changes it, then I have to patch it, then the cycle starts again. We keep being told that we have so much freedom to customise, and indeed that is true, and we're grateful for it, yet our customisations are often borked by (unannounced) changes imposed by SM.
    Andy wrote: »
    Your site looks like it always has, captions are centered. No shopping cart icon. rolleyes1.gif
    Not to me when I'm in logged in, which is the only way to admin my site. Looks like a chariot-race scene from Ben Hur.

Don't get me wrong... the buy/owner-buy icon is a great idea, much needed by many folk. I just don't get why it can't have a show/hide setting. Options are great things thumb.gif
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2013
    Why would anyone buy a photo from a very small image unless for the web? Makes no sense.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    Why would anyone buy a photo from a very small image unless for the web? Makes no sense.

Because we have found from user testing, that having a shopping cart icon on the collage gallery styles makes it easier for customers to buy prints. We have been hearing from many people (including you here on Dgrin) that it wasn't obvious enough that customers could buy prints from this gallery style.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Because we have found from user testing, that having a shopping cart icon on the collage gallery styles makes it easier for customers to buy prints. We have been hearing from many people (including you here on Dgrin) that it wasn't obvious enough that customers could buy prints from this gallery style.

That makes sense. I know for a fact that some people upload their images for a specific reason - to order prints. Images are already uploaded sized and processed they way they should be. To have the ability to simply click and buy without jumping into lightbox is a very good addition.
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »

How come I am not seeing those icons?

http://www.brandolinoimaging.com/Image-Galleries/My-Portfolio/Landscape-Photography/Scapes

I see the Buy button in light box logged in or out, but I am not seeing the icon on the thumb whether logged in or out.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2013
    How come I am not seeing those icons?

http://www.brandolinoimaging.com/Image-Galleries/My-Portfolio/Landscape-Photography/Scapes

I see the Buy button in light box logged in or out, but I am not seeing the icon on the thumb whether logged in or out.ne_nau.gif

If I had to guess, It looks like your custom CSS is overriding the Buy Icon. Specifically the "Click to Enlarge" text
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2013
    In collage landscape this cart appears in the default info style, "bottom bar." That keeps the layout spacing of the page the same. In collage portrait the default info style is "under," which does change the page's spacing layout. If we could have both collage styles with the same default info style of "bottom bar" there would be better consistency page layouts. Better yet, how about adding the ability to change the actual gallery settings so we can choose how this cart appears?

I do see the buy cart while logged out.