Options

More applause for Lamah's "create a backup of your site"

ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
edited October 16, 2015 in SmugMug Customization
I finally got to look a little bit more into what the backup consists of.

In particular I'm trying to proofread that CSS to hide a gallery description, has been added to all relevant galleries. I have my own excel table of all my galleries and I'm going through them one by one. But then I ran lamah's backup and scrolled through. It is SO easy to spot the css block by clicking each gallery. I placed the CSS block for a page at the bottom of the page, which means it shows up last in the backup, but by using Chrome search for "HTML & CSS / CSS", no scrolling necessary, I find the section immediately in each gallery. I realize this might not be time-effective if you have a thousand galleries, but for my needs, being able to zero in on some, is proving to be extremely useful. I discovered a couple that I had not fixed.

I also had CSS on All Galleries that had been put in very early on, and then it proved to be causing problems for some other site-wide customization. Nicholas found that error and I went and deleted that CSS. But between putting that code in in the first place, and removing it, I had made some galleries separate, so they continued to hold the problem code. Viewing the CSS on the backup made spotting them easy.

I'm sure I haven't exhausted all the proof-reading usefulness of this tool but I just want to thank you again, Nicholas, for this tool.

http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/Backup

Comments

• Options
    edited December 31, 2013
    I'll be brave and mention a couple of things that might be useful to add to this tool:

- A full list of gallery names and URLs (with ID tags)

- The ability to search through the entire backup rather than page by page.

bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2013
    Maybe also the ability to widen the left column. I have many customized galleries but I can't see the wonderful blue "customized" notation, because it is hidden to the right.
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2014
    Chancy, thanks for the suggestions! I too want to be able to resize that left column, but when I went to add that feature I wasn't able to find some code to do that sort of thing (I'll take a look next time I'm bored).

Which ID tags are you referring to? I think a gallery list tool would be helpful, what sort of output format are you interested in (CSV?)
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2014
    Lamah wrote: »
    ... I think a gallery list tool would be helpful, what sort of output format are you interested in (CSV?)
    See this.
    http://smugroom.com/tools/gallery-list/
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2014
    Allen wrote: »

I had a chance to use the tool for the first time since I unveiled. Since it was written when the limit was Category-Subcategory (no further depth), I see it can't add additional columns for further depth. It handles the additional depth by truncating the 3rd folder with the 2nd folder's name and moving it to the level of the 2nd folder.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2014
    Oops, the "California" in the list with France, England and Germany, in the SmugTool version, should have been deleted in my example.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2014
    Chancy, thanks for the suggestions! I too want to be able to resize that left column, but when I went to add that feature I wasn't able to find some code to do that sort of thing (I'll take a look next time I'm bored).

You are so gracious to entertain ideas. bowdown.gif

What about moving the brilliant "customized" notation, to it's own column, before the beginning of the gallery name? This ability to zero in on "separate" galleries is critical, now that I've found many of them that (1) lost new "entire" site CSS I added after they were separate, and I didn't know which ones I should look at and fix, and (2) deleted problem code on entire site, but some couldn't take the corrections because they were separate. Having a notation visible to me in your tool would be a great proofreading aid.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2014
    Okay, another one. Part of why I thought a search function for the entire tool (not requiring one to click into a gallery, and searching one by one, has to do with the CSS being split all over all the separate folders or galleries. That's the major bugaroo for managing CSS, correct?

So, what about a tab or separate section that listed all the CSS?

Gallery 1 name - CSS
    Gallery 2 name - CSS
    Gallery 3 name - CSS

In other words if there was one tab or section where all the css was together, and the visual presentation was eye-friendly, and search-friendly, one could compare, review, and proofread it. Plus have it sort of "all together" which I know many users desire. Not a substitute for putting all CSS in Side-wide, but useful?
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    I had a chance to use the tool for the first time since I unveiled. Since it was written when the limit was Category-Subcategory (no further depth), I see it can't add additional columns for further depth. It handles the additional depth by truncating the 3rd folder with the 2nd folder's name and moving it to the level of the 2nd folder.
    Did you try the CSV? with links?
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2014
    Did you try the CSV? with links?

I'm not sure what you mean, Allen. There's only one CSV option. It too, loses the deeper level. Truncates the subcategory to the first category.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2014
    I'm not sure what you mean, Allen. There's only one CSV option. It too, loses the deeper level. Truncates the subcategory to the first category.
    In the drop there are different selections for downloading. But looks like if more then two levels on NewSmug needs fixen.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2014
    What do y'all use the gallery list for, anyway? Maybe if I knew what the purpose was, I could generate a more helpful list.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2014
    What do y'all use the gallery list for, anyway? Maybe if I knew what the purpose was, I could generate a more helpful list.

I have used it for a visitor HTML sitemap, as a backup index to my site, as a handy reference to a URL of a gallery, to copy/paste a group at one time to send out as a list. Off the top of my head.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2014
    Hey guys,

If you could test out version 0.2.0 (beta) of the SmugMug Chrome Extension for me that'd be great. It adds a new gallery list feature with CSV and HTML export:

fWyAtex.png

mhUjNz6.png

The columns you can have in the list of galleries:

- Gallery name
    - Gallery link
    - Gallery permalink
    - AlbumID & AlbumKey
    - Gallery description
    - Meta keywords
    - Privacy settings
    - Passworded
    - Password hint
    - Empty (of photos)
    - Smugmug searchable
    - Web searchable
    - Date created
    - Last modified

This is what an exported HTML list looks like on SmugMug:

http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/Gallery-list-chrome/n-gzWSG

I also added the ability to get a permalink for a gallery.

You can download this beta version here:

http://chrome.sherlockphotography.org/smugmug/0.2.0/smugmug.crx
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2014
    :jawdrop Awestruck, I am. This may take me a few days but I will be delighted to try it.
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2014
    Is "customized" or "make this page/folder/gallery separate", a field you could add? (Still on the hunt to isolate/group all CSS code, and to be able to zero in on the galleries that have to be attended to separately.)
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2014
    One silly question, what is a permalink?
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2014
    OK I couldn't stand it, had to try it. wings.gifbarbwings.gif
    http://www.joinrats.com/Sitemap/n-jKKP4

Note: I had to delete the original extension in Chrome before I could install the new one.

As for what I put on my page:
    I removed some links that were not relevant to the public site even though they were set to "public".
    Then I split it into two HTML blocks, for topical reasons.
    Then I added a bit of code, to:
    - right indent wrapping lines (not sure I got it right)
    - add hover and visited font colors
    - I wanted to make the top level dd links, a different color from the sublinks, but the code did not take. Not sure what I did wrong there, I found nice examples on the web for this, that I followed.
    - tweaked font size

As for your program, How NICE Are YOU!!! I cannot tell you how nice this is to be able to produce a visitor sitemap with little fuss.

And the keywords? One can proofread them across galleries. What a grand and fabulous idea.
    Other proofreading usefulnesses: check what is private versus public, what is empty or not, SM-searchable or not. Review the description!!! Go directly to a gallery from inside your program!

The only 2 big-ticket issues that stand out to me (and I profusely apologize for being picky), is (1) it doesn't produce a list of links that incorporate the ID and key codes. those are in separate fields. Even the exported list doesn't provide that. I can't believe SM would make it so difficult to generate the "real link". And (2) oh for the CSS on every page. One would think if you can grab the CSS and add it to the backup part of your program, and you can put keywords and description in columns, you could add a CSS column in this part of your program?

My CSS for the sitemap, which I hope you will check for the wrapping code and font color choices, and why doesn't the top dd color work? (I made no change in the html so didn't include it here.)
    .ss-sitemap {
      font-size: 20px;
      line-height: 1.3;
    }

@media only screen and (min-width: 1024px) {
      .ss-sitemap {
        -webkit-column-count: 2;
        -moz-column-count: 2;
        column-count: 2;
      }

}

.ss-sitemap>dd {
      -webkit-column-break-inside: avoid;
      -moz-break-inside: avoid;
      break-inside: avoid;
      display: block;
      font-size: 95%;
      color: #02FC0A;
      margin-bottom: 1em;
      padding-left: 2px ;
      text-indent: -20px ;
    }

.ss-sitemap dd dd {
      margin-left: 1em;
      text-indent: -20px ;
    }

.ss-sitemap dl {
      margin-bottom: .5em;
    }

a:hover {
      color: #217AF8 !important;
    }

a:visited {
      color: #660000 !important;
      ;
    }

THANK YOUYUUUUUUUUU wings.gif
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2014
    Is "customized" or "make this page/folder/gallery separate", a field you could add? (Still on the hunt to isolate/group all CSS code, and to be able to zero in on the galleries that have to be attended to separately.)

I think that requires every single page to be loaded from SM, so it's a little awkward to put into the gallery list tool. Probably better to do it in the backup tool where you'd then be able to immediately see the customisations as well.
    One silly question, what is a permalink?

That's the gallery link which includes the ID number and key on the end, which I believe you were asking for below.

I'll be able to answer your other questions tomorrow I think.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2014
    That's the gallery link which includes the ID number and key on the end, which I believe you were asking for below.

I'll be able to answer your other questions tomorrow I think.

rolleyes1.gif
    And, letter for letter, I thought a permalink would contain your URL, per your example.
    I thought why does a Sherlock URL have to be part of the data on my site.
    rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2014
    Nicholas I confess I have run the "list your galleries" tool several times now just because doing so feels so SWEET. Thank you again.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2014
    My CSS for the sitemap, which I hope you will check for the wrapping code and font color choices, and why doesn't the top dd color work? (I made no change in the html so didn't include it here.)

You've got several text-indents with negative indents set there, which cause the text to be cut off on the left. If you were just trying to remove the indent, remove those added text-indent lines and remove the "margin-left" line from:
    .ss-sitemap dd dd {
      margin-left: 1em;
    }

That's the line that causes the indent to be added.

As for your link colour, were you trying to colour the links that head up each section? Try adding this rule instead:
    .ss-sitemap > dd > dl > dt > a {
      color: #02FC0A;
    }

• Options
    edited January 11, 2014
    Thank you Lamah for your code. Unfortunately I didn't explain myself well. I *want* the right indents on lines that wrap to a 2nd line. My code as it is does that nicely. I just wasn't sure if I accomplished the goal using the best code.

Thanks also for the color code for the top links, perfecto.
    iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2015
    Gallery List
    I just have to express my gratitude to Nicholas for developing this gallery list tool. Having just finished converting my site and making substantial changes to my hierarchy and gallery settings, it was incredibly helpful in my final review. Being able to scan and quickly detect problems saved me many hours. Beautiful!

Just one tiny piece of feedback... The csv formatting seems to get thrown off by punctuation in the gallery descriptions -- probably interpreting commas and line-breaks (both carriage returns and HTML
    tags) as delimiters.
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography