Options

Links in Collage Landscape Captions

JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
edited April 4, 2014 in SmugMug Feature Requests
When I display a gallery using the SmugMug style and have a link in a caption (created using an HTML anchor tag), that link shows and can be followed. If I change the gallery to Collage Landscape style, the link is no longer functional. To be sure, links would seem out-of-place in captions displayed in a bottom bar overlaid on the image, but they seem quite natural in captions separately displayed below an image. That's especially the case with larger image sizes since there's space for a fair amount of text.

So, the request: I'd like to see the Collage Landscape style recognize HTML anchor tags in the captions, and well as HTML <u></u> tags so I can display the associated underlines.

As background, since the early February change allowing larger images in the Collage Landscape and Collage Portrait styles, I've been using them more and more. Most of the galleries I've put up this year are in Collage Landscape style. That enhancement was definitely a winner. But this limitation holds me back. I don't have that many links in my captions, but I do use them from time to time. The specific example that led me to write this request is here:

http://jtringl.smugmug.com/Browser/TouringNaturalPlaces/Bay-Area-Day-Hiking-2014-1/Hiking-Through-January-2014/i-gRd5g6t <-- this no longer works, see below.

I was getting ready to convert this gallery from SmugMug to Collage Landscape style -- it would look quite nice in the latter style -- but this issue stopped me short. I may still convert, but it does involve giving up on that fun link for viewers who don't subsequently wander into the lightbox.

Update 4/3/2014 5:53PM. I went ahead and converted this gallery. The image that motivated this is the third picture in http://jtringl.smugmug.com/Browser/TouringNaturalPlaces/Bay-Area-Day-Hiking-2014-1/Hiking-Through-January-2014/. No link shows or works in the collage landscape view but if you click through to the lightbox, you'll find a link that works. Picture 7 has a link too. It would make sense to me at least to have a working links here in the collage landscape display.

Jim Ringland
jtringl.smugmug.com
Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2014
    I'm not sure I follow you. I use landscape collage for almost all my galleries. I can embed links in the captions. See this photo of a hawk I recently took. You can access the link when you hover over the images.
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2014
    I can embed links in the caption too, and they work from the lightbox, but not from the collage landscape view that comes up at first. On your cooper's hawk picture, clicking on the caption in the collage landscape display moves you the lightbox. Click the caption there and you go to your linked Wikipedia article. What I'd like is to be able to go directly from the collage landscape view to the outside link without the lightbox as an intermediate step. I'd also like to put an underline on the caption to indicate to the user that there's a link there (and have that underline show in the collage landscape view). As I noted, this user flow may make more sense if captions are below the image rather than overlaid on top.

Update 5:54 PM: I've converted the gallery in question. Perhaps that will show the context better.

Jim Ringland
    jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2014
    If you have a collage landscape gallery and want your links to appear under the image in the collage view, all you need do is set the Info Style to Under.

Open the gallery, Customize Site>Click the wrench in the upper left corner of the gallery boundary box>Choose the style you want to modify>Info Style "Under."

Naturally, this will effect all your collage landscape galleries. As a test, I did it to my wildlife gallery, where each image has only a link to a page about the animal photographed. I imagine that on pages that host images with lengthy captions it would look cluttered.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2014
    I invite you to take a look at the gallery noted above -- now in collage landscape style -- to see if lengthy captions really look that cluttered. They are under the picture and I've done some CSS things to keep it clean ... at least to my eye. Any thoughts?

More to the point of this thread, look at the caption to the third picture in that gallery. Here's the full caption as posted:
    Pseudotsuga menziesii (Douglas fir) at Pt. Reyes National Seashore.
    December 22, 2013.  Nice view of the cone bracts.  
    Why do Doug fir cones have bracts?  Read
    <a href="http://www.advocatesfnm.org/oldgrowth/dfir_cone.html"><u>here</u></a>.

The basic collage landscape display does not pick up on the link and underline tags. The link and underline do show in the lightbox. My request to have <a> and <u> tags processed in the collage landscape display is really a variation on one that's been around in somewhat different contexts on how HTML tags do and do not get interpreted where.

Jim Ringland
    jtringl.smugmug.com