Browser forgets where it was when leaving lightbox

bokehlover71bokehlover71 Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
edited May 13, 2014 in Bug Reporting
Lately I have noticed that when scrolling down a page with thumbnails, entered lightbox (and eventually browsed some pictures there), and then left lightbox, the page refreshes and tumbnails are not where I expect. I do not see the latest pictures, but the page jumps a long way up, so I have to scroll down again. This is very annoying, and I don’t think my viewers are willing to do this many times before they get bored and leave.

Another thing I have noticed is that when entering an album with Journal style, the page jumps right down to the pictures, and do not start on top of the page. If I have written some info text on top of the page, my viewers will miss this.

I think both of these things worked much better not long ago.

Comments

• TysaxTysax Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2014
    Hello bokehlover71,

This case is better handled on our help desk. Please provide us with a link to the gallery or page in question so we can locate the problem. The Smugmug help desk can be reached at: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new

In the meantime, try clearing the browser's cache and restart the browser.

We'll look for your response at the Smugmug help desk.

Have a good evening.
  • steamphotossteamphotos Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2014
    Lately I have noticed that when scrolling down a page with thumbnails, entered lightbox (and eventually browsed some pictures there), and then left lightbox, the page refreshes and tumbnails are not where I expect. I do not see the latest pictures, but the page jumps a long way up, so I have to scroll down again. This is very annoying, and I don’t think my viewers are willing to do this many times before they get bored and leave.

I agree with this. Previously when the lightbox was closed you would be returned to the gallery page scrolled to whichever photo you last viewed in the lightbox. Now in the collage style it's returning you to the very top of the gallery and you have to scroll back down to find your place. This may be fine in small galleries of a few dozen photos, but works poorly for larger galleries.

Example: Select any collage style gallery (http://www.steamphotos.com/Railroad-Photos/Favorite-Train-Photos-Gifts/), scroll down and click a photo, then exit and you're returned to the top of the gallery page.

I've tested this in Firefox, IE, Chrome, and Safari with the same results. This was not occurring at least a few weeks ago.
  • bokehlover71bokehlover71 Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2014
    Good to see I am not the only one with this problem, so it is not only a browser issue. I also experience it with all browsers, and on mobile devices, on all galleries with thumbnails and collage, landscape and portrait. Lightbox is practically useless in large galleries with these styles. Journal gallery style seems to work fine, except from the other issue I mentioned in the first post.
  • Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2014
    Here is the other thread about this issue. I'm seeing the same issue on Chrome, Firefox, and IE.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,005 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2014
    A work around is click the photo to open lightbox in another tab. I use my middle mouse button.
    Of course visitors don't have a clue.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • echesakechesak Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2014
    Same problem here, in both Firefox and Safari on my ipad. This is not the way that it previously worked.
    edited May 6, 2014
    I have now changed all my galleries to either Journal or SmugMug style, because these are not affected by this behavior. I think collage landscape is much more appealing, but until this issue is resolved, I find it useless.
  • sarahksarahk Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2014
    I'm having this problem too. It appears to be a recent change because it didn't do this as recently as a few weeks ago. It used to reset so that the image you were viewing in the lightbox was scrolled to the top of the screen. I personally wasn't a fan of that behavior, but this is way worse. When I've scrolled down a loaded a large gallery and view an image, it scrolls all the way back to the top when I exit the lightbox AND all the images have to reload again when I scroll down. This takes a long time.
  • JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2014
    I agree this is really bad behavior. I've been using Collage Landscape more and more and with some fairly large galleries too. But this makes alternating between the lightbox and the CL view painfully awkward. (In theory, the extra folder layers in the new SM would let me split my large galleries into smaller ones, making this less a problem. But dealing with deeper layering in some places but not others presents navigation problems because of this.)

Please fix.

Jim Ringland
    jtringl.smugmug.com
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • redcrown@mchsi.com[email protected] Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2014
    Just adding a "ditto". Discovered this problem with a recent new gallery. Wasted an hour searching until I found this thread.

Smugmug, please fix or at least acknowledge you know about it.
  • moirainemoiraine Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2014
    A fix for this issue was just pushed out a few minutes ago. Please let us know if there are any more problems with this!

Moiraine
    edited May 8, 2014
    Cool beans. Seems to be working for me using Chrome! Thanks!
    edited May 8, 2014
    moiraine wrote: »
    A fix for this issue was just pushed out a few minutes ago. Please let us know if there are any more problems with this!

Moiraine
    Great! Thanks a lot!
  • JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2014
    Thank you.

Jim Ringland
    jtringl.smugmug.com
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
    edited May 11, 2014
    Close, but no cigar.

Now the browser back arrow does not work. Tried Firefox, Chrome, and IE. All show the same "failure".

Display a collage landscape (or portrait) gallery that scrolls. Click any thumb in the top portion of the page to go to lightbox. Click browser back, looks OK.

But, scroll down to thumbs "below the fold". Click a thumb to go to Lightbox. CLick browser back, nothing happens. Click browser back again, display jumps back to the home page, bypassing the gallery thumbs. Or, sometimes it jumps back to a different lightbox image if you have displayed it before.

Clicking the Lightbox "X" to close Lightbox and return to gallery thumbs works OK and returns to the proper (last) position in the page. But, of course the Lightbox "X" disappears in a few seconds, so most people will reach for the browser back arrow, like the do with thousands of other websites.
    edited May 12, 2014
    Dang. I get the same thing. I went to an image down the page, opened it, hit Back, nothing. Hit back again, and it went to the page level the gallery is hosted in.
    edited May 12, 2014
    Hitting the back button has never worked as far as I can remember. When entering lightbox you are basically on the same page, so if you don’t use the X button in lightbox, you have to use Escape on your keyboard.

The challenge is to explain the visitors not to use the Back button, but Escape to close the lightbox.
    edited May 13, 2014
    Dear Smugmug,

Here is how it's done: http://500px.com/flow

Scroll down, click a thumb to go to their lightbox. Hit escape, click the "X", or click the browser back arrow. All take you back to the thumb page right where you left it.

I'm sure an average code writer could dig in there and figure it out.