Options

Guys I need your help, shooting White Birds

FroggyFroggy Registered Users Posts: 610 Major grins
edited August 13, 2006 in Wildlife
In brite sunlight is there anyway to get a good exposure on say a Snowy Egret, Man I had some beauties from the weekend all with highlites so badly blown that there was no way to fix them.

As I was shooting these birds I kept looking at my histogram, it didn't matter what I did the highlites were blown, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I kept thinking that Maybe exposing for the highlites then fixing the underexposed white later would be the way to go, I know dust and dawn are the best times to shoot these birds but when that opportunity presents itself in brite sunlight I sure would like to know how to cope.

Regards

Steve
Looking for the weekend, see my images at the location below, please leave a comment if you like what you see, I would love to hear from you.:):

http://froggy.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    Froggy wrote:
    In brite sunlight is there anyway to get a good exposure on say a Snowy Egret, Man I had some beauties from the weekend all with highlites so badly blown that there was no way to fix them.

As I was shooting these birds I kept looking at my histogram, it didn't matter what I did the highlites were blown, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I kept thinking that Maybe exposing for the highlites then fixing the underexposed white later would be the way to go, I know dust and dawn are the best times to shoot these birds but when that opportunity presents itself in brite sunlight I sure would like to know how to cope.

Regards

Steve
    wave.gif Hi Froggy,

On your 20D, shoot RAW or RAW + JPG. Set your EC to -1/3 or -2/3s. Evaluative Metering will be just fine. Center point AI Servo focusing. This will help!

Don't forget to share the results.
  • Options
    RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    15524779-Ti.gif

Dont be afraid to push your exposure compensation to -1 or more though. Especially on bright days. If possible shoot earlier or later in the day to have softer light.

Try this
    • Shoot in Av mode, ISO 100-200
    • Set your Aperature wide open (Lowest #). Some lenses are a little sharper when they aren't wide open so you might need to experiment a tad.
    • Dial your exposure compensation to -2/3 to start and check your histogram.
    • If the highlights are still blown go to -1 and check your histogram again.
    Share your photos with us :D
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    Hello,

As per above.

Only thing I'd add is to look at the "blinking" parts of your preview and not the histogram. If anything is blinking then lower the EC another 1/3 and try again.

With white birds if you have any significant blown parts it really detracts from the picture quality.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2006
    Thanks For the responses
    Nt.
    Looking for the weekend, see my images at the location below, please leave a comment if you like what you see, I would love to hear from you.:):

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    It has already been said.
    May I add that I see your a Local, if you want Jeff & I would be happy to give hands on help. If you'd like to meet up with us one day, let me know.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2006
    bfjr wrote:
    It has already been said.
    May I add that I see your a Local, if you want Jeff & I would be happy to give hands on help. If you'd like to meet up with us one day, let me know.

That would be awsome, I'll never turn down a hands on lesson, Saturdays and Sundays are the only open days form me.

I took a look at your Galleries, you have some great captures, I especially like the hummingbird catching the fly, nice, I bet that surprised you when you downloaded it.

Let me know.

Steve

• Options
    Desert RatDesert Rat Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    Hey Froggy I see you are looking for help? I am a local yokal as well out here in LALA land..

Eric the Desert Rat
    Eric the Desert Rat :scratch
    Los Angeles, CA :yikes

You can check out my ongoing website at the following http://www.pbase.com/desertrat99

Photography isn't about the Zone System or any other Ansel Adams nonsense.
    It's simply about seeing. You either see or you don't see, the rest is
    academic.
    ~ Elliot Erwitt ~
  • Options
    Fusion_UKFusion_UK Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2006
    Good info
    Some good information here, very informative and useful. Thanks. Ian thumb.gif
    Ian :photo
    ALL COMMENTS / CRITS GRATEFULLY RECEIVED
    http://www.pbase.com/kissfoto
    http://fusion.zenfolio.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/imiller/

Use Canon EOS 1Ds Mk1,10D, Nikon D100, plus Nikon F and F2. Sigma 10-20EX DG HSM, Sigma 15-30 EX DG, Sigma 75-300 APO DG...:barb
  • Options
    JohnDCJohnDC Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2006
    This is a common problem, expecially for black and white birds, where you either blow out the whites, or make the blacks too dark to see detail. Here's how I fix the problem.
    1. Shoot RAW.
    2. If there will be darker background influencing your metering (exposure), under expose by up to -1.
    3. If you have a hard time balancing your exposure in your RAW processing, make two exposures of the same image in the RAW processing: a dark one just to manage the blown-out highlights, and a regular one for the rest of the bird. In Photoshop, superimpose both versions and use the brush tool to get the good parts of each exposure into the same final image. If this doesn't ring any bells, check the various websites with Photoshop info. This method is often used for landscapes--to get a good sky with a good land portion. Good luck.
    Froggy wrote:

Regards

Steve
  • Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2006
    Help from all sides!

I think that all the above advices are very valid. I struggled and still struggeling also with strong highlights because I life on Aruba which is a sub-tropical Caribbean Island.

A couple of tips that may help:

* Try to avoid strong light hours (after 10am, before 3pm)
    * Learn to read and understand your histogram
    * Look for scenes where the overal background luminosity compared with the bird luminosity don't exceed the Dynamic Range of your camera. In other words, try to look for bright background scenes.
    * Try to get your hands on a copy of Ron Reznick "SureShot, easy learning system"

Dick.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2006
    Help from all sides!

I think that all the above advices are very valid. I struggled and still struggeling also with strong highlights because I life on Aruba which is a sub-tropical Caribbean Island.

A couple of tips that may help:

* Try to avoid strong light hours (after 10am, before 3pm)
    * Learn to read and understand your histogram
    * Look for scenes where the overal background luminosity compared with the bird luminosity don't exceed the Dynamic Range of your camera. In other words, try to look for bright background scenes.
    * Try to get your hands on a copy of Ron Reznick "SureShot, easy learning system"

Dick.

15524779-Ti.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"