Options

For Panther-Portugal Photos

JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
edited February 8, 2006 in Landscapes
Panther (and anyone else interested); here are some photos of the places I was talking about in Portugal that you could visit when you are there this May.

The Islamic South

3 hours south of Cascais by Car is the coast of the Algarve (Al-Gharb, Kingdom of the West). Places you should hit are:

LAGOS-FUSETA-OLHAO

Lagos has some nice sea cliffs and beaches
55435486-M.jpg

55435498-M.jpg
A bit east of Lagos is Fuseta, a pretty decent place without hordes of British tourists.
55429982-M.jpg

also cool is Olhao (Al-Hain), more tourists than Fuseta, but less than Faro. There seem to be a few islamic-like buildings still left here. It seems to me, due to the layout of the interior of a lot of churches here, that they used to be mosques, but the locals don't really know, and sources in English are not widely available about the Algarve during that Taifa period. Portuguese language sources are either new and incredibly obtuse in an academic way, or old and more nationalistic than factual. Regardless, the arabic/berber influence is clear- particularly in the physiogeny of the local people. Olhao also has a lot of "medina-like" small streets (below):

55435506-M-1.jpg

Fruit Market in Olhao (I love that guy's cap, that is 100% typically portuguese)
55435502-M.jpg

Tavira is a nice place to relax at a riverfront Cafe, and take a look at the roman bridge. The locals say that this was the siteof the last battle of the Reconquista in Portugal.
55449452-M.jpg

another shot of the bridge
55449451-M.jpg

MERTOLA

Swing East almost to the Spanish border, then up for 30-40 kilometers, until you get to Mertola. Probably the most islamic in character of Alentejo towns. There is an "islamic fair" from the 19-22nd of may this year.

moorish gate in Mertola
55431929-M.jpg

View of Mertola from the Fortress, Gaudiana River
55431934-M.jpg

Former Mosque, now church
55431940-M.jpg

another former mosque
55431943-M.jpg
Again, local knowledge of history is not the best- this is probably due to the fact that muslim and jewish identities were suppressed after the reconquista, but if a building has a courtyard and a minaret (as above) it's pretty easy to identify as a mosque or a religious school. Another thing to look out for in some villages is a small hole in the wall, or cross mark, near the gate to a house. Jews often secreted a mezzuzah (sic?) inside a wall and placed a cross over it, so that they could touch the mezzuzah before they entered the house, without alerting the authorities. People still build the holes, without knowing why they exist (that's just the way they, good catholics now, have always done it).

One of the great things about Portugal is the unconscious persistence of islamic stuff in everyday life and language. For example, when discussing future events they say "Oxala" (Insha'allah), literally, "if God wills it." Also, if a person is over-formal or too obsequious, they say he is "full of salamaleik" (from "Salaam alleikum, traditional arabic greeting). I think this may be only an Algarvian expression. Anyway, its wierd.

the Banu Qasi ruled Mertola as a Taifa state for a considerable time, until conqoured by the Almohads
55431938-M.jpg

handicapped parking in Mertola
55431948-M.jpg

Porto and the North

Porto is the commercial heart of Portugal, the second largest city and its greatest port. Remember what I told you about Port Wine, and the sudden violence that comparisons with Gallo port may incite. In fact, the less said about California, the better. Porto has a totally different "feel" than the rest of portugal. A lot of English influence from the wine trade and the English "factors" that spent centuries here. (I once taught English to a student named "Joao Miguel Archer.")

Typical scenes of Port Wine Boats on the Douro, Porto in the background

55435527-M.jpg

Avenida dos Aliados, Porto's "Main Street"
55441864-M.jpg

Porto is a city of Steep Hills, and Beautifully tiled churches
55435521-M.jpg

The Train Station at Sao Bento has some huge and beautiful tile murals (azulejos), undergoing reconstruction the last time I visited (in early 2005). They should be done by now. Its hard to tell scale on these pics, but I would say they are 25 feet high or so.

The Conquest of Ceuta
55441858-M.jpg

Close up of the conquest of Ceuta
55441857-M.jpg

Tiles also decorate the outside of many buildings, such as the Church of Batalha. Very Pretty, but can tend to look like a giant bathroom if badly done.

Igreja da Batalha
55441853-M-2.jpg

Tiled Storefront with "calcada" style sidewalk
55435536-M.jpg

Porto Tram at Ribeira
55441868-M.jpg

Anyway, you get the idea. This post is getting a bit overlong as it is. If you have any specific questions or need advice on what to skip, send me a PM. Whatever you do, keep two important points in mind:

1- Don't miss Mertola!

2- Don't spend the whole two weeks in Cascais.
Cave ab homine unius libri

Comments

• Options
    germaine_sbagermaine_sba Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    That was a great mini-travelogue. I really enjoyed the pictures and the commentary.

"In fact, the less said about California, the better. " Watch it! :):
    Lord, keep my words sweet. Someday, I may have to eat them.
    http://www.germaine.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    That was a great mini-travelogue. I really enjoyed the pictures and the commentary.

"In fact, the less said about California, the better. " Watch it! :):
    A little explanation about the california thing. It's all about wine, specifically port wine.

from the other post:

The Portuguese, normally peaceful and affable when not on crusade, or talking about Spain, may become exceedingly unpleasent and possibly violent if you remark that "we have port wine in california too, it's called Gallo", so be forewarned. Only wine from Porto is port wine. This is as true as the real presence of christ in the bread and wine, and should similarly not be discussed in polite company.

Also, there are only 5 continents. "The Americas" are one continent, becuase they are culturally similar (Caracas and Boston, same same) whereas Europe and Asia are two continents. because, of course, they are totally different. Antarctica apparently doesn't count. I guess you have to have people to be a continent. Saying that there are seven continents is like saying marriage with a Spanish person is OK. It's an obviously crazy thing to say.
  • Options
    waveneymanwaveneyman Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Oy.....
    "A bit east of Lagos is Fuseta, a pretty decent place without hordes of British tourists."
    ....you could be talking about me:rolleyes1.gif
    The Algarve is one of my favourite places for a break - but only in the winter months :D because of the hordes. But luckily, as you probably noticed, they never stray far from their traditional 'beer and english breakfast' 10 mile wide strip on the coast.
    Nice series Justiceiro
    mark
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    clap.gif

Love the tour! Thank you!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    I really enjoyed the pictures and comentary. I find the cultural aspects you bring up fascinating. I wasn't aware of the 5-continent view of the world that appears to be predominant in Portugal.

I'm not surprised about the animosity with Spain...after all, they have a long history of having to share a highly contested peninsula. I wonder, though, if the sentiment is equal to any portion/province of Spain.

Erich
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2006
    erich6 wrote:
    I really enjoyed the pictures and comentary. I find the cultural aspects you bring up fascinating. I wasn't aware of the 5-continent view of the world that appears to be predominant in Portugal.

I'm not surprised about the animosity with Spain...after all, they have a long history of having to share a highly contested peninsula. I wonder, though, if the sentiment is equal to any portion/province of Spain.

Erich

I don't know any regions of Spain other than Galicia, and a slightly crazy Galician guy at the Unversity of Porto who says that Galician is a dialect of Portuguese, and wants Galicia to "return to the motherland." I think he's a bit off his nut, as I've never heard any other Galicians or Portuguese express that sentiment. He sits in the student cafe by himself a lot, muttering.

When My wife is not around, I quite like Spain. However, I have to stick to the official policy line within earshot of the Portuguese half of my family.mwink.gif