Options

ambient mall shoot

1andyw1andyw Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited February 11, 2006 in Technique
Hi,

I will be shooting a mall event using ambient light. I am looking for online work that I can use as a guide. The pictures that I have been able to find so far, are without exif data. Any idea where I can locate this type of example?

Thanks,

AndyW

Comments

• Options
    HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    What kind of info do you need? I've done this a couple of times now, and it's pretty much standard fare. Even if you're using a slow old kit lens, you'll be able to push your shutter speeds way up at ISO200 and 400. Don't stress.
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    I wouldn't worry too much, you will probably be in something like EV7 lighting (f/2.8 - 1/125 - ISO 800) +/- a stop.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    1andyw1andyw Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2006
    Thanks for the help.

I have made a hard copy of the EV chart, which I will carry with me.

AndyW
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2006
    Where can one obtain this EV chart? I've googled but found nothing.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2006
    http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm
    Where can one obtain this EV chart? I've googled but found nothing.
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2006
    You da man Shay.

Now can someone explain how to read this thing :)
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2006
    First figure out what the lighting conditions are with a meter or the light situation chart. Let's say for the sake of argument that the lighting is EV7.

Find EV7 on the left hand side of the chart. Choose the EV7 row under the ISO column you want to use. In our example, we will say we want to use ISO 1600.

Now follow the row until you hit the shutter speed you want to use. In our example, 1/250th of a second. Now look up that column to find the aperture to use.

In this case, an aperture of f/2.8 will properly expose a scene that is illuminated with EV 7 lighting.

Don't wnat to use ISO 1600? No problem, slide over to ISO 800, over to 1/250, look up and you need an f/2 lens. Don't have one but you can use a slower shutter speed, fine, move over to 1/125th of a second and look up, we are back at f/2.8

You can use it in reverse too. If you have a photo that is perfectly exposed right out of the camera, follow the rows and columns that correspond to your settings to determine the amount of lighting that was there.

Want to find out what kind of situation a lens will let you work under? Say you have a lens that has a maximum aperture of 5.6 and you know from experience that you can hand hold it at 1/30th of a second and still get sharp photos. Start from f/5.6 on the chart, move down to 1/30th, then over to the maximum ISO of your camera to determine the lighting situation. Say that it says EV6. Looking up on the lightng situation chart shows that you could get photos in a brightly lit home at night, a fair, or amusement park. But you will need a brighter lens or flash for anything darker.
    Now can someone explain how to read this thing :)