Options

Tackling the storage problem

tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
edited April 22, 2006 in Accessories
Hi,
I visit various photography forums. Something that crops up now and then is
"I am going to Kenya for safari", "I am going to the alps" etc., so "could you suggest how many CF cards do I carry, I own 1GB card now" or "Should I get a video IPOD" or "Should I carry my laptop" blah blah.

Now many of us do not own laptops, and buying an IPOD to work as a photo storage device is kinda expensive. Ditto for other packaged solutions which cost 250$ for 80GB capacity or even more.

So that started me hunting. Based on some googling, I figured out what I needed was
"A hard disk casing with a card reader interface" + "Laptop hard disk"
So I got my solution Indian Rs.1800(40$) for the Casing with a card reader attachment and a laptop harddisk costs 3000rs(70$) for 40GB. So for around 110$ I have a 40GB solution. All I need to do is put my memory card in a card reader(7$). Note this can be any memory card. Since I have a Flash card, I use a Flash card reader, you can use a SD card reader for all you want. Heck you can connect your camera to the USB port too!
If I go for an 80GB harddisk, it will cost me some 90$, so total cost is 130$ for 80GB. Please note that prices in india are 30% higher than in the US. So the actual cost will be around 100$ for a 80GB solution.
This method has another advantage. you buy the laptop harddisk. In storage solutions, the biggest worry is hdd faliure. So you can choose to get the best quality harddisk like Seagate, SAmsung etc.,
Below are pics of the solution. hope this helps people looking for cheap bulk storage to carry around on holidays. Sure beats buying extra cards. Total cost of the solution is as much as for a 2GB flash card if you go for 80GB harddisk!
1. The hard disk is inside tha casing. Shown along is the battery compartment which takes 4AA batteries. MY 2300mah rechargables have done 10 1GB transfers, with lot of juice to spare. Heck if you run out of rechargables, put in AA alkalines.
65263228-S.jpg
2.The USB slot. this is where your card reader plugs in. This is also the slot by which you connect to your computer to download the images. You just flick the little switch to left or right for wether you want to transfer from camera or to the comp. When connected to the computer this shows up as a new partition in your OS. Like any USB drive
65263248-L.jpg
3.This is the copy button. Just plug in the flash card reader, press copy and the photos are onto the hdd
65263259-S.jpg
4.This pic shows the flash card reader plugged in the USB. The flash card is in the cam now :D. Have just 1GB card lying around you see
65263277-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    Im all for invention but ....$170 USD. I have an almost identicle one & it came with a 12 volt & 110-240 volt charger. I actually used it camping out & travelling in africa & whilst AA batteries are nice to have...i always like to have a vehicle & 12 volt battery handy to charge with.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Im all for invention but ....$170 USD. I have an almost identicle one & it came with a 12 volt & 110-240 volt charger. I actually used it camping out & travelling in africa & whilst AA batteries are nice to have...i always like to have a vehicle & 12 volt battery handy to charge with.
    Well the one I mentioned has distinct advantages
    1. 80GB $100, instead of 40GB $170
    2. I choose which hard disk to put in, so can upgrade. Also I am sure of the quality of HDD I put in. Also I can later upgrade my storage to a bigger HDD if need arises. I dont know about this device but some other "portable storage" devices ready made in the market I have encountered have HDDs of dubious brand or quality, like some unknown small brand. In my case I put in seagate HDD. You can choose IBM, Maxtor etc., etc.,
    3. If hard disk goes bad I can easily get another for 5 years for free(Seagate has 5 years warranty here) or if I accidently damage the hard disk, the replacement is just 80$ or less. Integrated solutions have a 1 year warranty at most. Morover laptop HDDs are built to be shock resistant to a large degree
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    tsk1979 wrote:
    2. I choose which hard disk to put in, so can upgrade. Also I am sure of the quality of HDD I put in. Also I can later upgrade my storage to a bigger HDD if need arises. I dont know about this device but some other "portable storage" devices ready made in the market I have encountered have HDDs of dubious brand or quality, like some unknown small brand. In my case I put in seagate HDD. You can choose IBM, Maxtor etc., etc.,
    3. If hard disk goes bad I can easily get another for 5 years for free(Seagate has 5 years warranty here) or if I accidently damage the hard disk, the replacement is just 80$ or less. Integrated solutions have a 1 year warranty at most. Morover laptop HDDs are built to be shock resistant to a large degree
    Not challenging your work here mate...its just that its easier to buy it & get a warranty for a lot of people. I can also change my H/Drive as you can (they all use laptop HD's & its 4 screws to access it) Its a W/Digital atm. I just like the multiple charging voltages.
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 21, 2006
    Humungus,

You are satisfied with your solution? I have been looking for something like this for a while. With the upcomming trip to Vegas, I need it bad.

Did you order it from the site you listed? How was the service?
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Not challenging your work here mate...its just that its easier to buy it & get a warranty for a lot of people. I can also change my H/Drive as you can (they all use laptop HD's & its 4 screws to access it) Its a W/Digital atm. I just like the multiple charging voltages.

Easily solved with a 4xAA battery charger such as the Rayovac PS-1 that comes with a 12v and 120v adapter, and since it takes the final input voltage as 12V@1A DC, it'd cost you about 10$ to get yourself a 220V adapter.

thumb.gif
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    tsk1979 wrote:

Is the card reader proprietary? Or could I use any card reader? (I just don't like how flimsy that connection looks... i'd rather use it with a card reader that has a cable on it.)
    - Scott
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    There's also the HD80.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    Is the card reader proprietary? Or could I use any card reader? (I just don't like how flimsy that connection looks... i'd rather use it with a card reader that has a cable on it.)

His Gemini looks remarkably like the standard OTG (on the go) device. If it is OTG, then all you have to do is plug the cord from your camera into the usb port on the OTG device and tell it to download. In short, the camera "sees" the OTG device as a computer and downloads. No card reader is necessary. Ebay has tons of OTG cases. Just type OTG in the search box.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited April 21, 2006
    This looks like a workable solution. However, things I like include internal
    rechargeable batteries and an internal card reader. This means no extra
    stuff to carry (outside of the charger). That's why I chose Epson's P2000.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    tsk1979 wrote:

I can't find that case...can you provide a link to a source? thanks
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    His Gemini looks remarkably like the standard OTG (on the go) device. If it is OTG, then all you have to do is plug the cord from your camera into the usb port on the OTG device and tell it to download. In short, the camera "sees" the OTG device as a computer and downloads. No card reader is necessary. Ebay has tons of OTG cases. Just type OTG in the search box.

The disadvantage of doing it this way is that you cannot use the camera
    while you're downloading.
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    I have a dumb question I think :)

Do all of the devices listed work with .cr2 files?
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006

Of course, but no sense tying up your camera while it's dumping cards.

I suspect it's using the same mass-storage device driver most (99%) of card readers use these days.
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:

Not a dumb question at all. My 20D arrives next week. I'm curious too.
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 21, 2006
    Has anyone tried this? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=366520&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

I was looking to see what devices that B&H carried. This one jumped out at me.

I have an Ipod that I bought back when the discussion was using the belkin device. This actually looks like a viable option.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    Any card reader. ITs OTG so you can even plug in your camera directly if you want to
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    photodoug wrote:
    I can't find that case...can you provide a link to a source? thanks
    Actually this is the brand which is available in India. You have to look for something in your local electronics store and online sites have few of these.
    Ask for "HDD casing with Card reader interface".
    I searched about 5 shops before I found the one that had this thing. I think in the US Circuit city or Fry's will definately have it.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:

This will transfer all the files from your card to the HDD. The file can be JPG, CR2, mp3, txt whatever. All files from CF card to the HDD
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    I personally use the hyperdrive http://www.hyperdrive.com/shop/index.php?osCsid=140c924f84efdefef17e5e84ba7b47e3.

Re: dockwalkers original question: as I said earlier, go to EBAY and type into the search box OTG. Here is one item among several hundered that is virtually identical to the one you ask about: http://cgi.ebay.com/OTG-2-5-inches-Hard-Drive-USB-2-0-Enclosure-Case-LCD_W0QQitemZ8796653763QQcategoryZ41911QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem or you can look at all of them and find several with internal 2-hour (claimed) lithium batteries. Purchase of the required 2.5" laptop HD is additional.
    — Henry —
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    I personally use the hyperdrive http://www.hyperdrive.com/shop/index.php?osCsid=140c924f84efdefef17e5e84ba7b47e3.

Re: dockwalkers original question: as I said earlier, go to EBAY and type into the search box OTG. Here is one item among several hundered that is virtually identical to the one you ask about: http://cgi.ebay.com/OTG-2-5-inches-Hard-Drive-USB-2-0-Enclosure-Case-LCD_W0QQitemZ8796653763QQcategoryZ41911QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem or you can look at all of them and find several with internal 2-hour (claimed) lithium batteries. Purchase of the required 2.5" laptop HD is additional.

Do you shoot in Raw exclusively and store on your hyperdrive? what bodies do you use?
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Do you shoot in Raw exclusively and store on your hyperdrive? what bodies do you use?

RAW, yes .. not exclusively though as my first RAW-capable camera, the Sony F828 is slower than molasses flowing uphill in January with RAW and it is still my carry-everywhere keep-in-the-car anytime shooter. But the 20D performs well with RAW exclusively and the resulting images are awesome (I use CS2 for my editor). Currently drooling over a 5D, though costly for my pocketbook just now. The hyperdrive makes no nevermind on any kind of file ... it is storage only, not display like the epson p2000/4000.
    — Henry —
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    The HyperDrive looks great!

If I already didn't have an Epson P2000, I'd be seriously looking at this.

I think you should start a new thread for this item. There are many here that I think would be very interested in this device.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    Humungus,

You are satisfied with your solution? I have been looking for something like this for a while. With the upcomming trip to Vegas, I need it bad.

Did you order it from the site you listed? How was the service?

I have a diff one doc. Its a vosonic i bought here in australia. Its ancient now ( 2 years old) but reads 9 diff cards & has no worries at all with my 20D RAW files. Looking at the site again it is about $130 USD.

It works great ...i think any of them will be fine. They are not really a tech bit of property.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:

G'day bob ..mine (vosonic x-drive) is 2 years old & that is seriously ancient but it reads them fine.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    FYI, the HD80 is awesome. Yes it works with the CR2 files from my 20D (I shoot RAW exclusively). It's very fast and you can switch out the harddrives.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    The Epson works with RAW files. It can also display them. However, you're
    not able to zoom in/out as you would with a JPEG file. I don't see that as a
    problem though.

Ian
  • Options
    chuckicechuckice Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    i have a wolverine mvp and it's been flawless thus far. costco has the 80gb version for $300. 7 in 1 card reader, color screen, displays raw files, plays mp3's, plays mpg/avi, voice recorder...and best of all windows sees it as flat data storage so there's no intermediary software, just drag/drop files.

backing up cf cards is a snap...

they make a cheaper one that's just intended for card reader, i.e. no color screen...i think this is the us version of the vosonic. i've been very happy thus far...
    www.wolverinedata.com
    Charles
    http://www.SnortingBullPhoto.com
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/cherskowitz
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    OTG HD enclosures are available all over the place, Newegg, TigerDirect, even WalMart lists one.

Here are a few that look ideal::

http://www.meritline.com/usb-hdd-enclosure-hard-drive-external-host.html
    http://www.meritline.com/usb-firewire-3-5-enlcosure-12-in-1-card-reader.html

The first has battery built in. If you have a HD already, or find one in the Sunday flyer with a killer rebate, this is likely a great way to go.

On the downside, there is no indicators, progress bars, built in verification, etc, that some of the purpose built devices do have, like the HD80 mentioned in this thread. But if you have a HD, $30 or so isnt bad for giving it a try.