Options

i wanna mac.

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited July 2, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
was playing around with one of our Schools' many macs... and i love it. now i want one but i'm not sure which ones for me... basicly try to remember its for a student so i do have a limited budget nothing outrageous, i wanna run CS2 on it and i'll be using it for everything....

should i get a desktop or laptop:dunno

P.S.- whats the signifigance of it having an Intel Processor? does that mean i could run some of my PC programs on it? and whats the advantages of a Mac over my PC?

thanks,
Daniel
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    Your homework for the next week is to read this thread:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=7386
    Chris
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    I am working on putting XP on a Macbook that I just bought to see if it will let me run Garmin GPS mapping software. I have been randomly posting shots in the Andy mac thread.

Fingers crossed.

Info here from Apple on how to do it.

This is very important.
    A bona fide installation disc for Microsoft Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Home or Professional (No multi-disc, upgrade or Media Center versions.)
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Your homework for the next week is to read this thread:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=7386

aye, i've been readin' some of that.mwink.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited May 16, 2006
    how's this sounding...

Notebook Option:
    13" Macbook with 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo

customized with 1gb of SDram instead of 512mb
    and 80GB Serial ATA drive instead of the standard 60...
    comes to 1,184...

Desktop Option:
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Apple 17" LCD[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]iMac 1.9GHz G5 Display Computer with Built-in iSight - 17" LCD, 512MB, 160GB, SuperDrive, Built-in Speakers - Front Row and Apple Remote[/FONT]
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    17" display with a desktop?
    DanielB wrote:
    how's this sounding...

Notebook Option:
    13" Macbook with 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo

customized with 1gb of SDram instead of 512mb
    and 80GB Serial ATA drive instead of the standard 60...
    comes to 1,184...

Desktop Option:
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Apple 17" LCD[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]iMac 1.9GHz G5 Display Computer with Built-in iSight - 17" LCD, 512MB, 160GB, SuperDrive, Built-in Speakers - Front Row and Apple Remote[/FONT]
    IMHO, one of the key reasons for getting a desktop rather than notebook would be to use a larger display, as is particularly important for image post-production work.

If you are getting any notebook, I would suggest getting the largest screen possible (i.e. 17"). With a desktop, the absolute minimum display I would get would be a 20", but preferably 23" or larger. I have had a 20" cinema display for several years. It is excellent as far as it goes, and I now find it barely adequate for serious manipulation of images.
  • Options
    JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    Intel Chip
    Intel means you can play WOW on a laptop. and also do your photos. I just gota MacBook Pro (Not a student anymore). I love it. I've got it in Windows right now - and I'm about to start gaming. But after gaming I've got to touch up and upload some pictures - so I'll open up aperature, and choose a few favorites, throw them in CS2, Save and upload.

If you want a better screen - use your current moniter as a second screen. Or when you get the cash, get an apple cinema display. You can always hork one of those next to your macbook, and enjoy the extra pixels. (Windows or Mac OS X)

I've been a mac addict for 12 years. But Windows is a necessary evil. I love it. Get a laptop. You'll be grateful later.

Edit: G5's are going the way of the buffalo. Desktop Intel chips are coming so you could wait....
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2006
    Jamoke wrote:
    I've been a mac addict for 12 years. But Windows is a necessary evil.
    I've been using Macs for more than 20 years. I agree that Windows is evil but, thankfully, it's also completely unnecessary!
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    I've been using Macs for more than 20 years. I agree that Windows is evil but, thankfully, it's also completely unnecessary!

I avoided windows for years, but finally caved in when I only had to buy the software. I wanted to use GPS and mapping software it was the best route to take. I don't expect to boot to XP often, mostly only for the mapping software. I felt lost in XP, nothing works how I want it too. :uhoh
  • Options
    ellepixelsellepixels Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    I avoided windows for years, but finally caved in when I only had to buy the software. I wanted to use GPS and mapping software it was the best route to take. I don't expect to boot to XP often, mostly only for the mapping software. I felt lost in XP, nothing works how I want it too. :uhoh

I purchased a 20 inch imac (G4) 2 years ago, and never looked back!clap.gif
    i love all my toys on it, and all the consistancy, and stability.
    Lost in Smugmug world.
    visit my website. feel free to sign the guestbook to le me know you dropped by-
    http://www.tanyadelnegro.com
  • Options
    JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006

I'm an engineer - AutoDesk Products aren't made for a mac. Thus - Windows is demanded. Autocad 2007, and 3D studio max 7. Mandatory Windows User - Despite my efforts, and preference. (Oh and Video Games.)

But none of that has any presedence in this thread, or this case.
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    My next will be -again- a Mac. I've always had both a Windows desktop and a Mac notebook. I need to run Windows specific applications, since I work in a Windows world where we use apps that aren't available for Mac and run dogslow on Virtual PC. With my next notebook, I'll be able to have it dual boot. If I like how that works out, my next desktop might as well be a Mac.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    should i get a desktop or laptopne_nau.gif

P.S.- whats the signifigance of it having an Intel Processor? does that mean i could run some of my PC programs on it? and whats the advantages of a Mac over my PC?

Daniel -

If you want to do more than word processing, MAC is the way to go. I switched 6-7 years ago and never looked back. There are still times when I'm working on the MAC that I say "wow...that's cool!" Never crashes, can go forever without rebooting, and just flat out works.

As for desktop or laptop, there's some things you might want to consider -

Laptops:
    The MacBook (formally iBook) are the cheaper version but they are cheaper for a reason. Though the system works great, the screen is poor quality and the body/frame is cheap. These are considered your basic laptop - not for editing by any means.

Now the MacBook Pro (formally PowerBook) is the monster of all laptops. Beautiful screen, sexy frame/body, and very strong design. I use the 15" and it's the perfect size for portability. The 17" is just too big to carry around. It's great for a while with it's big screen but it's just really big. I suggest the 15" and if you want a bigger screen, buy another monitor. Plus the 15" is ~$800 buck cheaper than the 17".

Desktops:
    The Mac mini is actually pretty cool. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Though your limited on the speed, it's very cheap and allows you to spend more money on a screen! We need a desktop and have actually considered buying one of these just so we can get the larger screen. 23" is the largest you can go on the screen (I think).

The iMacs aren't too bad either for the price and the screen isn't that bad though lacking in resolution.

And the monster of all monsters...the Power Mac G5. And if your going to buy a G5, you cannot go without the Cinema Display. The two were born to go together! mwink.gif

So, if you're tight on cash, I'd recommended the 15" MacBook Pro or the iMac. But, as anything goes with Mac, you'll be happy with whatever you get! (except the MacBook!:D )

As for the Intel - no, you will not be able to run PC programs on a Mac. But...it is possible to run a windows operating system on a Mac (with added software) then run your PC programs through windows. I don't know much about this since I try to stay as far away from windows as possible! :gun2 (that's me shooting my windows computer!)

The reason for the switch to Intel (from what I've read) was because PowerPC (former processor) could not keep up with where Mac wanted to go and of coarse, Intel can. Buy an Intel because PowerPC's will not be supported after 2 years. Unless of coarse your planning on upgrading in 2 years.

Okay...I'm done. Can you tell I love MAC!?:D Hope this helps!!!
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    Or you can wait for vista to come out & have your cake & eat it as well.

That should bring 'em on !
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2006
    I second getting a laptop and a 2nd display when possible. It is very easy to setup/use dual-monitors. Especially as a student, the portability should easily payoff very quickly.
    gus wrote:

That should bring 'em on !

Pay no attention to the troll, please!

:hide mwink.gif
    Chris
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I second getting a laptop and a 2nd display when possible. It is very easy to setup/use dual-monitors. Especially as a student, the portability should easily payoff very quickly.

Pay no attention to the troll, please!

:hide mwink.gif

I can only go by what i have read & been told in this forum but ...it appears that the last 2 exciting developments in the mac world is that mac now uses an intel chip & also a programme to run windows. Hey daniel...save yourself some camera/lens money & buy the PC in the first place. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    gus wrote:
    I can only go by what i have read & been told in this forum but ...it appears that the last 2 exciting developments in the mac world is that mac now uses an intel chip & also a programme to run windows. Hey daniel...save yourself some camera/lens money & buy the PC in the first place. headscratch.gif

I can't understand why someone would want to waste ANY time on a PC. How can you get any work done with it freezing, crashing, slowing down, stalling, pop-up errors, and oh...you gotta love the error reports!

BTW - great work in your galleries :D .
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2006
    Plenty of places to discuss Mac vs. PC. Daniel wants a Mac, lets help him get the right one for him. Either type of system does the job.

:deadhorse

Edit: Okay, ignore that... he did ask what the advantages are of a Mac over a PC.

Flame on!

I'm a professional System Administrator, so take these from that perspective:

Mac positives: Unix based, currently less targeted by virus/worm writers, "just works" (usually), very happy customers even if something goes wrong, can run Windows XP natively now (and all its apps), Style.

Mac negatives: Proprietary hardware (even with Intel), less software including games, less bang for the buck, touchpad (that's a personal one for me).

I have end users with both PC and Mac (and Linux!) Laptops. They are each happy with their choice for various reasons. Properly configured, neither have any problems with crashing. One user who bought a Mac laptop got a lemon, and was not satisfied until the entire system was replaced, then she was happy as a clam. I've seen similar experiences with Dell/Gateway/IBM/etc systems.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Plenty of places to discuss Mac vs. PC. Daniel wants a Mac, lets help him get the right one for him. Either type of system does the job.

:deadhorse

I will do as i please. If you dont like what i write...ignor it.
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    I can't understand why someone would want to waste ANY time on a PC. How can you get any work done with it freezing, crashing, slowing down, stalling, pop-up errors, and oh...you gotta love the error reports!

BTW - great work in your galleries :D .
    Drop in a few free programmes & no issues at all. I actually dont work on a computer...i use it for entertainment only.1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2006
    gus wrote:
    I will do as i please. If you dont like what i write...ignor it.

No worries, Gus... He did ask for it... (see my edit above)
    Chris
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2006
    gus wrote:
    ... and wait, and wait, and wait ..... and it still won't be 'cake', it'll still be MS BS!
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2006
    ... and wait, and wait, and wait ..... and it still won't be 'cake', it'll still be MS BS!

Thats 3 so far...
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2006
    gus wrote:

Heh heh.

Let me add one to my Mac negatives: Fanatical users who think Wintel is bad just because their stuff runs ~90% of systems.

Oh, right... Macs run on Intel CPUs now. :D
    Chris
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    The Mac hardware looks way cooler than most other stuff. I mean, all this pro and conra on the OSes is boring. I use both, and at times loath both. Both are far from the user friendly operating system I'd ideally use.

I have to keep a close eye (by third party apps) on the security of my Windows system. And sometimes I end up in .dll hell. But if you know the system, you can solve most problems you have on a Winbox yourself. Just like you can fix your own car, if you take the time to learn how it works.

On the other hand, I have to remember all kinds of three and four fingers salutes for my Mac when I want (for example) to reset the battery EPROM, so that my fricking battery starts remembering again that it has some life in it. And I end up in the "reset rights hell" on my Mac. Again, if you take the time to learn the system, the Mac OS has some mighty powerful tools that will help you. But where's the user friendliness in starting up Terminal?

The advantage of a Winbox is that it usually uses parts that are easily user serviced. Your DVD drive breaks? No sweat, buy a new third party one for a few bucks, and put it in. The downside to Apple hardware is that they can't seem to get their Rev A hardware bugfree. Issue here, issue there. Next to that, people say that Apple has great customer service. Sure. They need it, since so many things are proprietary, and it's much harder for a simple Joe like me to replace Mac parts. So you end up with great service bills if your hardware breaks after the year of warranty. Which you can avoid by getting Apple Care. Which is bloody expensive.

On the other side: Mac hardware does look jummy. And the software too. I can't ignore the fact that so far, Mac has industrial design high in their priorities, whereas it seems that Win boxes and software are designed by programmers who like to doodle on the side.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    IMHO, one of the key reasons for getting a desktop rather than notebook would be to use a larger display, as is particularly important for image post-production work.

Monitor size has never been a key reason for me to choose desktop over laptop due to the fact that every laptop I've owned, going back to my 1992 PowerBook, has been capable of driving a color monitor larger than the built-in laptop display. The MacBook Pros and the last PowerBook 15" and up can drive Apple's largest display, 30" (2560 x 1600). Macs also make it easy to calibrate the laptop and external monitors separately.

Better reasons for getting a real desktop for photography are the ability to use more than 2GB of RAM and very large, fast, multiple internal hard drives for storage and Photoshop scratch. For this reason I've never seriously considered the iMac with its 2GB limit and single internal drive bay, though connecting FireWire external drives is fine. It's either a pro laptop or a pro, seriously expandable tower for me. Still saving up for the tower though...
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    was playing around with one of our Schools' many macs... and i love it. now i want one but i'm not sure which ones for me... basicly try to remember its for a student so i do have a limited budget nothing outrageous, i wanna run CS2 on it and i'll be using it for everything....

should i get a desktop or laptopne_nau.gif

thanks,
    Daniel

I can't think of and REAL advantage of running a Mac over a PC. I've used both on and off for the last 12 years or so. Both work. Although the old Apple OS (the system series) was kind of clunky.

I've been on Win XP for the last (well since it came out) and I've had little to no problems, no virii, no spyware. I'm on DSL(three years now) and I run NO antivirus or anti spyware, just a firewall. The spyware virii supposed advantage that OSX has is overblown as are most such things.

OSX is cool and visually way ahead of windows, even the yet to be released Vista. But cool and visually attractive is not a real advantage, it's just nice, that's all.

Mac hardware is a little more expensive, but it's integrated nicely with the OS.

Dell has made inquries into offering OSX boxes- maybe you'll see that some day.

The Mac mini and Macbook are both graphically crippled with onboard graphics chips that share system memory, so forget about any thing that requires more than a bare minimum of 3D processing power. Also that 1GB of memory after OS loads and graphics demands, is more like 512mb at best.

At a minimum if you want a Mac the iMac 20".

If you can wait, a tower with the new Intel desktop chips would be the way to go for the long run (if you can afford it).

No need to spend the extra for the Apple display (other than looks). The Dell monitors in corresponding sizes are as good or better and cost much less.

If you have to have a Mac, then either Macbook Pro or wait for the new towers.

If you just need more processing power, then any old Windows Pc with either Intel of Amd dual core will work just as good (and better in some cases) than the Mac.

Have fun with your shopping:):

Gene
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2006
    i was thinking i would keep my current 17" for dual screen... then get a 21" monitor for 450ish maybe and then the Mac mini.... what would i be sacrificing if i did this? are they just as expensive to repair as a laptop?ne_nau.gif
    heres what i was thinking... Mac Mini + 21" monitor + shipping = 1207
    whats the difference in speed from Intel core solo and Intel core duo?

what could i get if i sold my PC? i built my own PC in 6th grade...

MSI Ti4600 128mb DDR
    MSI 648 Max motherboard
    Pentium 4 Processor
    130GB Hardrive *not sure about this one*
    512mb of memory
    one sweet ass case worth 100 alone

i'll double check on some stuff...
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    Geesh! I hope your happy Daniel.
    Can't we all just be friends and have a pepsi? :D

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    i was thinking i would keep my current 17" for dual screen... then get a 21" monitor for 450ish maybe and then the Mac mini.... what would i be sacrificing if i did this? are they just as expensive to repair as a laptop?ne_nau.gif
    heres what i was thinking... Mac Mini + 21" monitor + shipping = 1207
    whats the difference in speed from Intel core solo and Intel core duo?

what could i get if i sold my PC? i built my own PC in 6th grade...

MSI Ti4600 128mb DDR
    MSI 648 Max motherboard
    Pentium 4 Processor
    60GB Hardrive *not sure about this one*
    1 gig of memory
    one sweet ass case worth 100 alone

i'll double check on some stuff...

"whats the difference in speed from Intel core solo and Intel core duo?"

Well the dual core does make a big difference if the program supports multiple processors. It would be worth it to go for the dual core.

You sure about the Mac Mini? Built in graphics chip that shares system memory is kind of lame and limiting.

As for your PC you'd be lucky to get a $100 total. They ain't worth much when you can buy a new one with a monitor and warranty for $299. IMO

Gene
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2006
    kini62 wrote:
    You sure about the Mac Mini? Built in graphics chip that shares system memory is kind of lame and limiting.

:nah i was lookin through B&H's catalog and this looked nice... i could make this a nice set-up with my current 17"

17" iMac..
    1.83GHz Intel Core Duo Processor
    512mb 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    160GB SATA Hard Drive
    ATI Radeon X1600 128mb
    Daniel Bauer