Options

dawn over centre ville

phuongphuong Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited July 16, 2006 in Landscapes
i was hunting for some IR shots at this island called Jean Drapeau and was heading home. then i saw the sun was coming down and became really really huge. immediately i visualized a nice striking image in my mind and rushed to find a nice spot to shoot. unfortunately the sun set so fast that when i finally found a clear shot, it already disappeared. i was really disappointed but still took my gear out and managed to take one shot. after that the sky became cloudless so it wasn't inspiring anymore.

anyways here's that one shot. not as striking as i expected, though. and i definitely will revisite the place to take that damn shot.
the city at the distance is downtown Montreal. the brightest building is a light house at Vieux Port (Old Port).

Comments

• Options
    THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    I love it!

I don't think it would have the same effect if the sun was there. I love the transition of orange to blue, and the peacefulness away from the city.

I'm sure a sunset at this location would be nice, but IMO this picture - framing, lighting, etc. wouldn't work with the sun in it.
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • Options
    fraincsfraincs Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    nice picture overall, mind posting your exif

buildings are not sharp at all, should have used a f11 or higher
  • Options
    phuongphuong Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    fraincs wrote:
    nice picture overall, mind posting your exif

buildings are not sharp at all, should have used a f11 or higher

well spotted. i was standing real close and tried to focus on the front rock, maybe just 1 metter away. this is why it isn't in focus all the way to infinity.

exif is 20D, iso100 f/11 30 seconds CPL
    i wanted to close it to f/16 to get more DOF but that would have required 60 seconds exposure, and i forgot to bring my remote :grim
  • Options
    fraincsfraincs Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    never leave without a remote umph.gif
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    Beautiful shot, I'm not sure the buildings being perfectly sharp would help that shot all that much.. Don't sweat it...

Great Job