• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Photo Craft Technique Tutorial: How To Find Your Lens Nodal Point

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 3  of  3
1 2 3
Old Feb-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Ascherjim is offline Ascherjim
Beginner grinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder View Post
The newer L brackets from Really Right Stuff have lines machined into them that display the exact center of your sensor, so that you CAN center your camera body on the center of the shooting axis of your rotating pano head.

Some camera bodies have marks showing the center of the sensor plane, and some the central axes of the sensor itself.

Otherwise, you just have to eyeball getting the lens axis centered on your planned shooting axis...
My L-bracket is made up of two Arca Swiss-type rails joined at 90-degrees by a 90-degree bracket. Whereas, as I stated earlier, the tripod socket is situated directly under the middle of the lens mounting when the camera is in its horizontal position, when the camera is in a vertical mode on the L-bracket, the precise center alignment of the lens is not subject to so precise a determination. However, I've now figured out a way to measure this for my purposes. Many thanks for your further thoughts.
Old May-11-2012, 10:18 AM
JRSEE is offline JRSEE
Jay
pano settings
i just tried the method explained and came up with very different settings. I was using a 24-70 zoom and most of my settings came almost to the end of the rail, about 3.0. With what little knowledge i have of nodal points it seemed odd to me that the nodal point was almost at the end of the lens. I expected it to be nearer the center of the lens. I did it for several focal lengths and they all came out about the same.

Jay
Old May-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Pono Photo is offline Pono Photo
Big grins
Hmmm.. This is awesome! But I need to figure out how to do it in 3 dimensions as well. I use a Nodal Ninja, the NN5. So it's got a few other things that can slide as well since it rotates vertically also.

Maybe do this near a wall, where I can have the two Pez dispensers on the table, then two also attached somehow to the wall sticking out horizontally? Or maybe do one setting, then the second instead of trying to figure both at one time. The one setting will never change though once I get it dialed in since it is based off of the distance from the center of my lens to the base of the camera.

Well, I'm not doing anything today until this evening... no time like the present...

Pono Photo
Page 3  of  3
1 2 3
Tell The World!