Options

Geotagging & personal (protected) galleries

jrcadejrcade Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
edited August 15, 2011 in SmugMug Support
I've used a Google Earth/Picasa partnership to geotag a multitude of photos in bulk and it works very well.

My problem is that I am trying to create a SmugMug site that hosts both professional and personal galleries (the second to be protected & viewed by family and friends only). The big issue lies in the fact that geotagging only works with public galleries (this, BTW, doesn't make sense to me...it would seem to me that most folks in this situation would want to have geotag mapping available in their private galleries because there, much moreso than in pro galleries, is where you would want the geotagging feature available).

Anyhow, can anyone lend any insight into how I might be able to accomplish this, given my goal of having both pro and personal photos on the same site? If there is no work-around for the geotagging/protected gallery issue, is there a way to have all of my galleries public, but only have my pro galleries show up on the site and direct family/friends to hidden galleries set up only for them? That way, geotagging would still work for all of my photos.

One final question in this regard...there have been some posts about limitations on the # of photos that can be geotagged on a site. Can someone clarify if (1) there are any limitations and (2) what they are specifically?

Thanks very much in advance for any assistance...

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Hi, mapping only works with photos that are in public galleries, wish I had a better answer for you, I'm sorry.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/maps
  • Options
    jrcadejrcade Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, mapping only works with photos that are in public galleries, wish I had a better answer for you, I'm sorry.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/maps

Thanks, Andy...I understand that point pretty well now...So, given that, is there anyway to do what I want to do? I.e. can I hide public galleries that I want to be personal somehow?
  • Options
    kln66kln66 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 5, 2010
    jrcade wrote:
    Thanks, Andy...I understand that point pretty well now...So, given that, is there anyway to do what I want to do? I.e. can I hide public galleries that I want to be personal somehow?

Has anything changed wrt maps and private galleries? I have been testing Expono (http://www.expono.com/), and there it's possible to map pictures that are not public (they also use Google maps), so apparently it can be done.
  • Options
    barribarri Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 13, 2010
    This missing feature of geotagging in unlisted or protected galleries is something that really should be supported by smugmug. Would be great to have this feature. Also being able to have a small map on each gallery page would be great.
    Picasa has this pretty well implemented.
  • Options
    Andrew MaimanAndrew Maiman Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2010
    I figured out a way around this issue. You can send the Atom feed from the gallery directly to Google:

Go to http://maps.google.com

In the search box (above the map, not the address bar of your browser), enter the following:

[url]http://[/url]YOURUSERNAME.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=GALLERYID&format=atom10&ImageCount=500&Paging=0

Replace YOURUSERNAME with your Smugmug username (or replace the whole whatever.smugmug.com part with your custom domain name) and replace GALLERYID with the gallery ID (i.e. 11045474_Sq8w8). Increase ImageCount to something larger if your gallery has more than 500 photos.

This will then show you all of the geotagged photos in the gallery on an appropriately sized map. This works for unlisted galleries, as well. You can then customize anything that you'd like to on the Google Maps page, and then select the 'Link' option in the top right corner of the map to get the URL of the map (or an embed code if you'd like). I usually then place a link to that map URL in my gallery description, but you could probably add your own "Map This" button with some custom JavaScript (anyone want to try that and post how to do it?)

I asked the helpdesk if it was OK to post this (after I figured out how to do it) and they said that it was, but that the feed formats could change in the future so it's not guaranteed to work forever.
  • Options
    barribarri Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 2, 2010
    @Andrew

Thanks so much for figuring this out. Works fine for me.
    My only problem is now, how to get the map this button to refer to link to a HTML page that has this new map.
    Also, how would one add this map to a gallery page or to the homepage?

thanks,
    barri
  • Options
    cmmccmmc Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2011
    Update
    Just to share with the community, the above does not work anymore exactly as described, however, there's a simple update. Thanks to the original poster for this tip, works great.
    1. Open your album in smugmug
    2. Go to Share (top right corner)
    3. Select Get a link
    4. Click on the tab Feed Links
    5. Click on the Copy button next to Google Maps*
    6. Open Google Maps
    7. Paste the copied link in the search field (the one in between the google maps logo and the search button)
    8. Admire your photos on the map :D
    *) The RSS and ATOM feeds also work, but if you want to get the little green Smugmug pointer instead of the standard Google Maps one, then stick with the Google Maps code!

• Options
    edited August 15, 2011
    Thanks for the update. One thing to note: you still have to manually add the &ImageCount=500&Paging=0 to the end of the URL if you want it to return more than the first 200 photos.
  • Options
    cmmccmmc Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2011
    Ah, ok! But why 500? Should this be changed if more to for instance 1000, or is this some kind of code that means unlimited?
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2011
    Change 500 to whatever you want. I just picked an arbitrary large number; if you have more than that in your album, feel free to use a higher one.