Options

Challenge #31 - Fire & Ice

dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
edited February 4, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is my first entry in the challenges. Critiques welcome.

15070764-M-1.jpg

EXIF
Date Taken: 2005-01-30 16:19:46 Date Digitized: 2005-01-30 16:19:46 Date Modified: 2005-01-30 17:18:11 Make: SONY Model: DSC-F828 Size: 3464x2648 Bytes: 796904 Aperture: f/2.8 ISO: 64 Focal Length: 45.5mm Exposure Time: 0.2s (10/50) JPEG Quality: 8 Flash: Flash fired, compulsory flash mode Exposure Program: Manual Exposure Bias: 0 ExposureMode: 1 ColorSpace: sRGB

Comments

• Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    Awsome composition! The lighting is very nice too. What did you use for the flame? A drop or two of alchohol?
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    aero-nut wrote:
    Awsome composition! The lighting is very nice too. What did you use for the flame? A drop or two of alchohol?
    Thanks. I used isopropyl alchohol and a bit of paper so that it wouldn't burn too quickly.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    you've really got something here!

i'm not sure the tray, and it's lines, add a whole lot (they don't detract, either)

what i'm thinking is some kind of pedestal for your ice pile... imagine the ice/fire, set off from the bg, sort of floating there...

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif well done dan!
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    andy wrote:
    you've really got something here!

i'm not sure the tray, and it's lines, add a whole lot (they don't detract, either)

what i'm thinking is some kind of pedestal for your ice pile... imagine the ice/fire, set off from the bg, sort of floating there...

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif well done dan!
    Thanks Andy! Actually, I have a bit of a confession to make. That's not real ice. It's actually a piece of quartz crystal I had lying around. I couldn't get a real piece of ice to burn. The fire is provided by a few drops of VCR head cleaner fluid, which is alchohol based. A few drops of water to simulate the melting effect and voila! Another dkoyanagi low budget special. :)
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    dan
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    Thanks Andy! Actually, I have a bit of a confession to make. That's not real ice. It's actually a piece of quartz crystal I had lying around. I couldn't get a real piece of ice to burn. The fire is provided by a few drops of VCR head cleaner fluid, which is alchohol based. A few drops of water to simulate the melting effect and voila! Another dkoyanagi low budget special. :)

a good magician *never* kisses and tells. lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    andy wrote:
    a good magician *never* kisses and tells. lol3.gif
    Whoops! Forget everything I just said. In fact it wasn't me who made that last post. I was someone else. Yeah, that's it.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    Okay...that's it. Tomorrow, I'm going to go buy a block of ice, five gallons of gasoline, and a box of road flares tomorrow. I'll show you...

naughty.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Okay...that's it. Tomorrow, I'm going to go buy a block of ice, five gallons of gasoline, and a box of road flares tomorrow. I'll see you in the burn unit....

naughty.gif

fixed.
  • Options
    Michael AllenMichael Allen Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2005
    You've got my vote. I've spent the morning (I hadn't seen your post yet) tring to burn an ice cube. Everything dilutes too fast. Oh well, back to the drawing board. By the way, nice comp and photo.thumb.gif
    -Mike
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2005
    Dan,

What a great idea! You have rasied the bar!
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2005
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 1, 2005
    Loving it!

dkoyanagi wrote:
    This is my first entry in the challenges. Critiques welcome.

15070764-M-1.jpg

EXIF
    Date Taken: 2005-01-30 16:19:46 Date Digitized: 2005-01-30 16:19:46 Date Modified: 2005-01-30 17:18:11 Make: SONY Model: DSC-F828 Size: 3464x2648 Bytes: 796904 Aperture: f/2.8 ISO: 64 Focal Length: 45.5mm Exposure Time: 0.2s (10/50) JPEG Quality: 8 Flash: Flash fired, compulsory flash mode Exposure Program: Manual Exposure Bias: 0 ExposureMode: 1 ColorSpace: sRGB
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2005
    Nice shot.. good compostion to me and kept my attention. I like the water droplets as well.
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2005
    Excellent! I was thinking of trying something like that, but you beat me to it. I love it.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2005
    Thanks Angelo, Lynn and Tristan!
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    Great picture! thumb.gif You might be a very good magician or perhaps you are?! rolleyes1.gif

EDIT: Deleted some technical stuff which was not concerning your picture, but about smugmug in general.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    I went "oh my" when I saw that put up. That is about my highest compliment. And I haven't changed my mind.

great idea, carried out very "fine" on the photography side.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.