The proposal in the park in the rain

Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
edited December 7, 2010 in Weddings
It broke a record that day, the most rain to fall in Central Park for that day, I think it was 5.5 inches, and it felt like I absorbed most of it.

349503392_y5wfs-L.jpg

After watching the ducks for a while a couple came strolling down the walkway, hand in hand:

349503383_hxCXy-L.jpg

Only to stop on top of Bow Bridge. He held her hand, kissed her, and talked for a few minutes:

349503386_Jc7xG-L.jpg

And then it happened:

349503397_Z7wbo-L.jpg

She was shocked, let out a scream, and forgot that she was holding on to an umbrella:

349503404_4YhuV-L.jpg349503416_3Us5X-L.jpg
349503420_ZHE8a-L.jpg

They held, and kissed, and said sweet nothings to each other. They were on cloud nine!

349503428_tCCgx-L.jpg

And then it sank in:

349503434_TBG8N-L.jpg

A few more minutes past to regain composure, and then he introduced us. We gave our congratulations, provided some dry tissues and smiles. A brief stroll through the park followed as we all walked back to the streets to get our cabs, but along the way we stopped for a photo or two to take advantage of the beautiful atmosphere only a rainy day can provide:

349503438_uzYRF-L.jpg

349503446_gCZzD-L.jpg
Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
"Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    :jawdrop

True mastery. The embodiment of professional work.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    Wow, what a moment! Great shots! clap.gif

You planned that down to the T with the guy, eh? Did you walk Central Park with him to pick the spot?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    Oh my gosh.

This is beautiful in every way. The setting, the tones, the emotions, the framing, vignetting, all of it is wonderful.

Classic stuff, Shay. Fantastic.

bowdown.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited April 28, 2007
    I assume you agreed beforehand that it would be on the bridge?

I gotta say, despite what must have been careful planning, my favorite shots are the ones you couldn't have planned for: him whirling her around, and kissing against the fence.

Fantastic.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    How sweet was that...very impressive. thumb.gif
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    It was all done through the internet and phone calls. He actually lives in San Diego. So we told him where to go and where to be. Jen wears a red baret hat so we are easy to spot to someone who knows what to look for mwink.gif

It was interesting too, all the rain caused the highway to flood, so had we not left early, we would have been late due to traffic! As it turned out he was the late by about 45 minutes. But we told him not to worry if he was late, we would stay there till he showed up or we were swept away hehehe. So it all went off without a hitch!

We are in talks now about shooting their wedding next year!
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited April 28, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I assume you agreed beforehand that it would be on the bridge?

I gotta say, despite what must have been careful planning, my favorite shots are the ones you couldn't have planned for: him whirling her around, and kissing against the fence.

Fantastic.

tehehe, both those shots were posed. When we do pose (we try to limit it), we try to pose it so they look natural, so I am glad it looks natural to you :-)
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    Jen wears a red baret hat so we are easy to spot to someone who knows what to look for

I'd think it'd be easier to tell them to look for the really short guy with big feet lol3.gif
    edited April 28, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I'd think it'd be easier to tell them to look for the really short guy with big feet lol3.gif

Well you know, it was raining so I had to wear shoes, and that just makes me totally unrecognizable!
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    These are great shots Shay. Very inspiring.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    shay's avatar is a tad easier on the eyes...:D

Thanks for sharing this poignant, beautiful set. What amazing customer service....kudos to the groom for thinking ahead. They'd be insane not to hire you for their wedding? If I were her, I'd wear a gown from Goodwill before I'd let someone else photograph us after that magazine cover umbrella-twirling shot.

(how'd the non-weather-sealed body hold up?)
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    True story book setting, awesome job Shane. We're you hiding in the bushes for these shots? mwink.gif
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    Wow! Great Stuff from technical to composition ... to story line. At first I thought it was all happenstance ... crazy photog testing out the seals and stumbled upon a Singing in the Rain song and dance thing ... Even though many of the shots were poised ... the rain made it a great story.

Gary

PS- Gotta tell ya ... very disappointed that it was not pure happenstance ... man ... that would have absolutely, postively, great with a cherry on top ... now the shots are merely great ... no cherry.
    G
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited April 28, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    (how'd the non-weather-sealed body hold up?)

It held up very good with the right protocols. I used a lens hood on the 70-200, a rainjacket over the lens and camera, and Jen holding a big golf style umbrella for the both of us. The only thing that got semi-wet equipment wise was my camera bag outer pockets.

So I am going to be looking for a new bag with better weather protection. But I was happy this time around and didn't have any equipment failures due to moisture! I have a wedding tomorrow and my sensor doesn't even need cleaning!

Jen and I were soaked to the bone, and I had fun walking through puddles and mini-lakes on the way back to the car :D
    edited April 28, 2007
    gmonkeh wrote:
    True story book setting, awesome job Shay. We're you hiding in the bushes for these shots? mwink.gif

I was just off the bridge,shooting scenics when they came on the bridge. She was surprised when we were revealed for who we were mwink.gif

iforgot062.jpg
    edited April 28, 2007
    tehehe, both those shots were posed. When we do pose (we try to limit it), we try to pose it so they look natural, so I am glad it looks natural to you :-)
    lol3.gif Fooled me!
    Sid.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,165 moderator
    edited April 28, 2007
    Shay, phenomenal results from the meticulous planning (oh, and skill mwink.gif ). Even with the foul weather, these are superb. I even think the rain helped focus the mood on the couple that much more. thumb.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited April 29, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Shay, phenomenal results from the meticulous planning (oh, and skill mwink.gif ). Even with the foul weather, these are superb. I even think the rain helped focus the mood on the couple that much more. thumb.gif

As much as I hate shooting in the rain...I just love shooting in the rain! There is no other atmosphere like it. And it is little wonder that movie directors use it so frequently!
    edited April 29, 2007
    Seefutlung wrote:
    PS- Gotta tell ya ... very disappointed that it was[n't] pure happenstance

I'll try harder next time mwink.gif
  • FotoChickFotoChick Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    To put this proposing man's level of commitment into prospective, he said “rain or shine”, and as it turned out Central Park got a half a years rainfall for him, in one afternoon! :uhoh

It was sooo sweet, I was actually was crying by the the time he pointed us out to her. :crywave.gifWhen we got back to the car my long black cashmere coat was soggy and dripping with water, it weighed about 35 lbs when I laid it in the trunk!

It was a total blast though! :ivar

Jen
    Jen (Mrs. Shay Stephens)
    edited April 29, 2007
    FotoChick wrote:
    To put this proposing man's level of commitment into prospective, he said “rain or shine”, and as it turned out Central Park got a half a years rainfall for him, in one afternoon! :uhoh

It was sooo sweet, I was actually was crying by the the time he pointed us out to her. :crywave.gifWhen we got back to the car my long black cashmere coat was soggy and dripping with water, it weighed about 35 lbs when I laid it in the trunk!

It was a total blast though! :ivar

Jen

I've been wondering how he talked her into taking a walk in a downpour!
    Sid.
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    Fantastic!
    Shay,
    When I grow up I want to be like you. :D
    Those shots are fantastic! Very inspiring. I'm praying for rain and getting my goloshes out.

Thanks for sharing.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    Shay
    "True warrior turns the seeming disadvantage into a victory".
    Old Chinese wisdom

bowdown.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif and :jawdrop

Good gosh!
    1. that you to stayed out in the rain waiting
    2. that he managed to get her there
    3. that he actually proposed on one knee

all of these things are almost as amazing as the photos!!! These are stupendous!
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    Breathtaking Shay, what an incredible thing to do. Nice work! Just awesome!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    Let me join the chorus: this is excellent work. They'd be crazy now if they don't book you for the wedding.
    edited April 29, 2007
    Thank's everybody! Glad you are enjoying them :D
  • Mrs FMrs F Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    This series of photos is simply fantastic. I can't wipe the smile from my face. The whole world should get to see these!
    C and C always welcome.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    OMG you're so beyond good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You had me going by the 2nd shot........tears started welling, party because the shots are so incredibly beautiful and partly because I'm such a romantic!!! iloveyou.gif These are amazing Shay, and you just reminded me why I love photography so much! :saurora
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    Just spectacular. Amazing. Gorgeous!!