Options

Opinions on NYIP?

KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited November 8, 2010 in The Big Picture
I am looking for a photogrpahic learning experience I can do in my spare time and am considering NYIP. Is anyone doing it currently or have done it in the last year or so since they updated their courses? Wondering what the opinions are of it. Locally I am having trouble finding anything that is not weekday based so this seems to work well.
TIA

Comments

• Options
    eyeguyeyeguy Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    It would be nice to hear from a student or 2,3,4,
    KvPhoto wrote: »
    I am looking for a photogrpahic learning experience I can do in my spare time and am considering NYIP. Is anyone doing it currently or have done it in the last year or so since they updated their courses? Wondering what the opinions are of it. Locally I am having trouble finding anything that is not weekday based so this seems to work well.
    TIA

I am interested in knowing this kind of information myself.There is a Photography course at my local collage it is an in class course the price is considerably more expensive approximately $250.00 + depending on the class. If I can get the same knowledge for less all the better for me. One of the questions I have is : If I was looking for a Photography job is NYIP recognized in the industry ?
    I hope some of the pro's on D grin have some thoughts on this mwink.gif
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    I took their basic digital photography course about 5 years ago. I had just gotten into photography in a more serious way and purchased my first DSLR. It seemed like an organized way to get going - and it was. Since then I've learned a LOT more just on this forum and from reading books and attending workshops.

As for whether or not the school is recognized? Don't know. Certainly not where I live (Maritime Canada) - but at least I can honestly say I took a course.:D
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2010
    Thanks for helping out
    Angelo wrote: »

Thanks for helping out I did have a look before I posted but thought some of the information was a bit dated and as I under stand NYIP has updated its course so I was looking for more updated information and feedback. Thanks again for your help.thumb.gif
  • Options
    goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    I just enrolled in NYIP and received my first lessons. I do agree that you can learn the same material by going to seminars and reading various websites and instructions. However, I travel a lot for my job and am hardly ever know when I'm going to be home and when I will be traveling. This course is perfect for me in that I can learn at my pace and it will give me something to do in a hotel room instead of watching ESPN over and over and over again. rolleyes1.gif

The course seems to be fairly updated and it includes a business lesson which seems fairly interesting and includes a lot of good ideas that I hadn't thought of.

I also tend to get easily distracted when trying to self-learn. I will start by reading a lesson in the internet and click on a link and then another and another and forget that I was reading the original lesson. This course seems to help keep me focused.

Since I just started, (lesson 1 of 30) I will keep you updated of my thoughts and experience for those searching for info in the future. You can always PM me as I check in on DGRIN almost daily.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2010
    Thanks so much for your input
    I just enrolled in NYIP and received my first lessons. I do agree that you can learn the same material by going to seminars and reading various websites and instructions. However, I travel a lot for my job and am hardly ever know when I'm going to be home and when I will be traveling. This course is perfect for me in that I can learn at my pace and it will give me something to do in a hotel room instead of watching ESPN over and over and over again. rolleyes1.gif

The course seems to be fairly updated and it includes a business lesson which seems fairly interesting and includes a lot of good ideas that I hadn't thought of.

I also tend to get easily distracted when trying to self-learn. I will start by reading a lesson in the internet and click on a link and then another and another and forget that I was reading the original lesson. This course seems to help keep me focused.

Since I just started, (lesson 1 of 30) I will keep you updated of my thoughts and experience for those searching for info in the future. You can always PM me as I check in on DGRIN almost daily.

Thanks four thoughts and would like to hear about your progression.
    Question: Will you be planing to do something with photography as a part or full time job or will it remain a hobby ?

Thanks for your input I know your comments and updates will help us all that are thinking of going to NYIP or something like this.
  • Options
    goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    eyeguy wrote: »
    Thanks four thoughts and would like to hear about your progression.
    Question: Will you be planing to do something with photography as a part or full time job or will it remain a hobby ?

Thanks for your input I know your comments and updates will help us all that are thinking of going to NYIP or something like this.

Here's an update on the NYIP course.....

I just finished lesson 4 of 30. So far I still believe it's a good course. There is a ton of info to absorb. Yes, all the same info is out there "free" on the internet, but this course does a good job of packaging this info in nice looking books
    and reference CD's/DVD's. I just sent in a photo project to the instructors at the school and am waiting to hear back on my results. I included 4 pictures for review/critique. There are also on-line tests that you take to make sure you're comprehending what your reading. (This is one part that you can't really get out there in internet land). I'm going to wait to see how my photos are critiqued and then post them here to see if I get the same comments....

To answer your question: Yes, someday I hope to go full time into photography. For now, I'm strictly "weekend warrior". I believe this course can be beneficial for upcoming pro's to hobbyists.....

More to come......
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2010
    Thanks for keeping me up to date
    Here's an update on the NYIP course.....

I just finished lesson 4 of 30. So far I still believe it's a good course. There is a ton of info to absorb. Yes, all the same info is out there "free" on the internet, but this course does a good job of packaging this info in nice looking books
    and reference CD's/DVD's. I just sent in a photo project to the instructors at the school and am waiting to hear back on my results. I included 4 pictures for review/critique. There are also on-line tests that you take to make sure you're comprehending what your reading. (This is one part that you can't really get out there in internet land). I'm going to wait to see how my photos are critiqued and then post them here to see if I get the same comments....

To answer your question: Yes, someday I hope to go full time into photography. For now, I'm strictly "weekend warrior". I believe this course can be beneficial for upcoming pro's to hobbyists.....

More to come......

Thanks for keeping me up to date.
    I would be interested in finding out what feedback you get on your photos (Digital Grin VS NYIP )