Options

MP-E 65mm Test Drive - Jumping spider at 7x!!!!

sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
edited July 31, 2007 in Wildlife
Ok, so first things first... this lens is like outrageously hard to use anything over like 3x. I'm talkin your entire frame is taken up by like a 2x3mm area at 7x. (literally). At any rate...I borrowed the lens w/ twin flash setup just to mess around over the weekend. Anyways... 65mm MP-E plus a 1.4x teleconverter gets your 7x!

So first off... this is what we are shooting at. This is a TINY jumping spider which is about as big as a dime is thick. Its probably like 1mm x 1mm... like a touch larger than the "S" in states on the dime. I barely didnt see it when I walked inside but it happened to move as I was opening my door. BTW, this was taken with my 35/2 and cropped down just to show size reference.

IMG_7516s.JPG

I think this is about 3x-ish with the 65mm without the TC, uncropped.

IMG_7460s.JPG

Then it gets hairy...lol. The little guy stopped moving around so I could get a clean shot of him. UNCROPPED!!

IMG_7502s.JPG

and another 7x uncropped...

IMG_7497s.JPG

Now i'm not sure why these look a bit soft. I was shooting f/16 (completely stopped down) with the 65mm. I guess at this level you are really pushing the resolution limits of the lens? I mean this is just outrageously small blown up to nearly the size of a XTi sensor...lol. The bottom right is a bit soft cause there was web there... but the rest was clean

Comments

• Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    Wow. Now that is some macro photography. Nice shootin'.thumb.gif
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    Ok, so first things first... this lens is like outrageously hard to use anything over like 3x. I'm talkin your entire frame is taken up by like a 2x3mm area at 7x. (literally). At any rate...I borrowed the lens w/ twin flash setup just to mess around over the weekend. Anyways... 65mm MP-E plus a 1.4x teleconverter gets your 7x!

So first off... this is what we are shooting at. This is a TINY jumping spider which is about as big as a dime is thick. Its probably like 1mm x 1mm... like a touch larger than the "S" in states on the dime. I barely didnt see it when I walked inside but it happened to move as I was opening my door. BTW, this was taken with my 35/2 and cropped down just to show size reference.

I think this is about 3x-ish with the 65mm without the TC, uncropped.
    Then it gets hairy...lol. The little guy stopped moving around so I could get a clean shot of him. UNCROPPED!!
    and another 7x uncropped...
    Now i'm not sure why these look a bit soft. I was shooting f/16 (completely stopped down) with the 65mm. I guess at this level you are really pushing the resolution limits of the lens? I mean this is just outrageously small blown up to nearly the size of a XTi sensor...lol. The bottom right is a bit soft cause there was web there... but the rest was clean

Now that's an interesting experiment.
    Have you tried it with a bug that is larger than the jumping spider ?
    The magnification is quite amazing.

I'm guessing you were hand holding?

Wonder what that shot would have turned out like if you used a Macro Slider ???

Thanks for sharing your experiment Sirsloop clap.gif .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2007
    5x, no TC, f/7.1... a bit sharper but crazy small DOF...

IMG_7548s.JPG
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2007
    ok... if this wasnt crazy enough... here's something that may peak all of your interest!!

($900 and change) MP-E 65mm vs ($24.99 - YES!) Quantaray 28mm/2.8 reversed !!

uncropped, f/5.6, 28mm reversed

IMG_7565s.JPG

cropped !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! eek.gif

IMG_7565cs.JPG

To be completely honest, even though I have to hold the ring flash up and push the aperture lever over manually, the 28mm was MUCH easier to work with. Well, this is kind apples and oranges seeing as though the 28 reversed only gets like ~3x zoom. With the MP-E you are always tempted to crank it down to 5x. The difference between 3x and 5x as far as working distance and usability is pretty amazing.
  • Options
    OhadOhad Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2007
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Great!
    Ohad M. Somjen
    http://ohad.smugmug.com

My Equipment:
    * Nikon D200 + Grip
    * Nikon 12-24mm f/4 AF-S DX, 50mm f/1.4 AF D
    * Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8D VR G-AFS ED-IF
    * 190XPROB Manfrotto Tripod & Cullmann 40300 Magnesit 3-Way Head Large
    * I use DXO Optics Pro and Film Pack for all processing, no CS involved!
  • Options
    NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2007
    Ohad wrote:
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Great!
    wonderful macros! my favorites are the jumping spiders, and for you to capture the baby, so close is incredible. Usually the young insects almost look transparent. You did a nice job.
  • Options
    GonzoBernelliGonzoBernelli Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    Would you not get softness from diffraction at f16?
    DISCLAIMER: This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2007
    Yes I did... I wasn't used to shooting with this lens so f/16 didn't seem all that small at the time. Look at the later photo there where its was at f/7.1. Its very sharp, just shallow.... thumb.gif