Options

What? No thread on the Canon 1Ds Mark III leak?!

JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
edited August 26, 2007 in Cameras
I'm surprised that no new thread on the 1Ds Mark III leak is here yet. Heh. Apparently Amazon leaked it and now pulled it. I took screen shots. Availability is Dec. 10th and price is $7999. (got this from FM)

Here are my screen shots:

185517737-O.jpg

185496634-O.jpg

185496735-O.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    In thumb.gif

If I weren't so in-love with my 24mm TS-E, I'd consider that 14mm prime, too. We'll see naughty.gif
  • Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Been following the rumors regarding the 1DsMarkIII over at http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/Canon_1DS_MkIII.html for some time now, and I'm really, really taking it with a grain of salt. That being said...

O M G !!!

New toy new toy new toy!!!

What caught my attention is the fact that it takes 5fps. My 1DsMarkII at 4fps is now gonna be sweating bullets. I'm a bit suprised to see that the price is under $10k too. Bonus!
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2007
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    I caught a glimpse over at POTN. I didn't really pay much attention. Specs look outrageous, but its way out of my price range. I'd get a 1d mark III WITH a 300/2.8L before spending 8 grand on that body.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    All that, and a new lens cap! clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Hmmm.

Hope Canon figures out that AF soon.

The AF points on the 1Dmk2 and 1Dsmk2 are the same, but the FOV of the 1Dsmk2 is significantly larger, meaning that the AF points are more concentrated in the middle. I was hoping that they would address this with the mk3, but the early release doesn't appear promising.

Otherwise, besides the resolution, this camera will largely be a known quantity given that the 1Dmk3 has been out for a while.

14mm on FF. Will be interesting to see the 14mm vs 16mm of the 16-35 II.
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Argh....:uhoh

One of the (many) temptations is that 2,3,5,7 shot bracketing, fantastico for HDR plus u can tell it to leave the mirror up until you're done instead of up/down. I dunno about $8k though, 17MP on my Epson 9600 looks great already....

Maybe I can get my company to buy me one.... :)
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2007
    SteveF wrote:
    14mm on FF. Will be interesting to see the 14mm vs 16mm of the 16-35 II.
    I'm not sure I'll bite... I have the 16-35 II, and 16 is way wide for me.

When I need wider, I find myself taking multiple shots with my 24 TS-E.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2007
    Sizam wrote:

headscratch.gif
  • Options
    esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Wow, that's a pretty pricey lense. :cry
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I'm not sure I'll bite... I have the 16-35 II, and 16 is way wide for me.

When I need wider, I find myself taking multiple shots with my 24 TS-E.

Exactly. I'm sure it's good for some folks, but 14mm on FF is really wide. Using the 16-35II for landscapes I find myself in the 20-25 range typically.

If I needed 14 I'd be more likely to stitch a lens with less distortion I think.

As long as the AF issues resolve I'll be on the short list for one of the new bodies though.
  • Options
    S. HortonS. Horton Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    I caught a glimpse over at POTN. I didn't really pay much attention. Specs look outrageous, but its way out of my price range. I'd get a 1d mark III WITH a 300/2.8L before spending 8 grand on that body.

+1 for that plan! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    Sizam wrote:
    Argh....:uhoh

One of the (many) temptations is that 2,3,5,7 shot bracketing, fantastico for HDR plus u can tell it to leave the mirror up until you're done instead of up/down. I dunno about $8k though, 17MP on my Epson 9600 looks great already....

Good call. I'll be stoked to get some high quality HDR shots that were really a pain to grab before with the 1DsMII. While checking the white papers, I noticed the resolution for the camera - 5616 x 3744px. Ah yeah. That's 12"-18" native resolution. SICK!

As for the 14mm f2.8L II, if ever there was a lens in the Canon world that needed an upgrade, that was it. The original 14mm had some of the worst CA and soft edges of any that I've ever seen. Not to mention the wonky lens cap that it used to "protect" the lens.

My only gripe with the next camera btw...
    Now I gotta buy new propietary batteries and get a new L-Bracket from Really Right Stuff.
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited August 20, 2007
    Sizam wrote:
    That dough will buy a LOT of dog food...
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    As for the 14mm f2.8L II, if ever there was a lens in the Canon world that needed an upgrade, that was it. The original 14mm had some of the worst CA and soft edges of any that I've ever seen. Not to mention the wonky lens cap that it used to "protect" the lens.

This is soooooo true, I used the old 14mm L for many years just accepting the soft corners and vignetting because of the angle of view. I used it for many ski shots that could never be stitched and will be the first one to say that with this focal length, one must get quite familiar with its subject, like inches awaydeal.gif
    And don't forget this new resolution will require new lenses that can resolve it:cry so don't forget to save some additional moneyeek7.gif

I am more excited about the remote capabilities than anything. Now I can place that bugger in places I would never goclap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2007
    I am more excited about the remote capabilities than anything. Now I can place that bugger in places I would never goclap.gif
    I'm not sure what you mean. Why wouldn't you use something else?
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    I'm not sure what you mean. Why wouldn't you use something else?

The live view wireless to a laptop allows a photographer to place the camera anywhare while controlling the camera remotelythumb.gif

• Remote live view using EOS Utility 2.0 (via USB or WiFi/Ethernet using WFT)
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2007
    Ok, this is STRAIGHT from the rumor mill so grab the proverbial salt on this one...

My Canon dealer here in SoCal called me this morning and informed me of the following (I was first on the waiting list for that location fyi)...

Apparantly, Canon has PULLED all their shipment queue for the 1DsMIII and are not taking orders at the moment.

The speculation is, that once Nikon announced their D3, that Canon immediately took that and decided to tweak the flagship model. This comes from a fairly reliable source who has quite a bit of contact within the Canon world.
    He was also thinking that this is similar to what happened to Nikon when Canon announced the 1DMark II after Nikon's announcement of their flagship model a few years ago.

Interesting development to say the least, and one that is a total speculative rumor.

My take? Personally, I'd love to see Canon tweak the camera and give an option to shoot at 7fps at a lower resolution, the ability to add in a crop factor, and maybe bump the iso down to 12800 thumb.gif
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    headscratch.gif I think I'll take that with a bag of salt. What could they possibly do to tweak a completed product in the kind of time frame they are now faced with? I would think a firmware tweak is all that can pe pulled off, and what can that do? My gut feeling is to raise the BS flag on this: :bigbs
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2007
    The live view wireless to a laptop allows a photographer to place the camera anywhare while controlling the camera remotelythumb.gif

• Remote live view using EOS Utility 2.0 (via USB or WiFi/Ethernet using WFT)

Ah. So this version is bi-directional. That would be cool.

I've also heard that some shooters carry a laptop with FTP server running all the time letting the camera upload as they shoot.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2007
    ian408 wrote:

I've also heard that some shooters carry a laptop with FTP server running all the time letting the camera upload as they shoot.

Or better yet, to a dedicated FTP site anywhere, and the assistant gets to hang in Starbuckswings.gif
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    ian408 wrote:

Whats even cooler is that the grip has this build in webserver so you
    can actualy browser your images in camera on a wlan connected computer.

The WiFi Grip really brings Studio feeling to the prosumer market, doesn't
    it? :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2007
    Or better yet, to a dedicated FTP site anywhere, and the assistant gets to hang in Starbuckswings.gif
    You still need to be within a couple of hundred feet of an access point.

The sports photogs, and to some extent the PJ news folks in 'wired' cities, this will be a huge boon. Many arenas are already wireless ready and cities are installing wireless networks (often free for their residents).