Options

Galleries should not take on community theme

mpdehaanmpdehaan Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited February 5, 2008 in SmugMug Support
If I share a gallery with a community, browsing my own photo page then gets a non-homogenous look at feel.

Most people chose not to enforce community theme, but for those that set it, it's very distracting.

One particularly painful example is the Lensbaby community -- which adds the moderator's business add over top of gallery photos regardless of whether I want to advertise for him or not. (And I don't...)

To make communities more usable, I would remove the feature that allows them to restyle the user's photostream pages.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    The idea was probably that nagivating to seperately user themeed galleries would make things look distracting.

A good way to accomplish themeing to me would be -- only allow communities to use the smugmug default theme (grey/black) and to override the user's chosen theme only when visited from community URLs (something like ?from_community=X ???)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    I know, this one sucks and I'd like to see it changed, too.

Will see what can be done, not sure :(
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    Thanks!

I've left everything but DGrin in the interim... as I don't want any suprise theme changes that I don't know about, like people asking where my interest in fluffy bunnies or whatever came from.

Removing the ability to customize the community theme at all may even be better -- it would prevent the advertising scenario.