Setting WB on the cheap!

BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
edited March 21, 2008 in Technique
Hi Folks...

I was perusing the forum archives to see what people thought of the Expodisc WB tool, and someone mention using a coffee filter?? They didn't explain how they use it though... would anyone care to give a how to??

BTW... I have a D50, so, am I able to even set custom WB?

Cheers!
B
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Briggie wrote:
    Hi Folks...

I was perusing the forum archives to see what people thought of the Expodisc WB tool, and someone mention using a coffee filter?? They didn't explain how they use it though... would anyone care to give a how to??

Cheers!
    B

Hey Brigg

The method is to put the coffee filter over the end of the lens and then point the camera at the light source to take an exposure for WB. Be sure to set the camera on manual focus first or it may not let it snap the shutter.

I have mixed feelings about this personally since I often use flash for fill. This method won't take fill flash into account. It would be alright for using existing light indoors....or on a sports field....maybe even out of doors....but I don't see how it could be right for fill flash. Maybe someone else will chime in and convince me otherwise. I have seen things like this mentioned mostly in the sports forum. Those guys use them all the time....the expodisk that is.

I shoot RAW, then adjust WB after the fact in a RAW editor. I should be using a grey card, but I guess I am just a rebel. I set WB by eye.

I have used the coffee filter method, in a high school gym. Instead of a filter, I used the white foamy stuff that was wrapped around my XTi when I bought it. It was pretty close....although a tad cool.
  • ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Don't a lot of coffee filters have some yellowish coloration in them? The ones I had to use at restaurants never seemed perect white.
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    I've used a coffee filter before. I didn't hold it up to the lens and shoot "through" it though. I just followed the instructions for setting custom WB for my camera...I set focus to manual, made sure the coffee filter (or white piece of paper or WB card) completely filled the center circle when looking through my lens, took a shot (doesn't matter if it's blurry), then set that frame as my custom WB.
    It seems this method might work (??) at least a little bit even when using flash because you can take the shot while firing the flash and then you're telling the camera - that shot with the white stuff...I want it to be white in all my shots. ne_nau.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Briggie wrote:
    Hi Folks...

Cheers!
    B
    I shoot ice hockey and I find that white balance is the key to a well exposed photo and bascially in any low light situation.

I have bought and used many gadgets for white balance from the expo disc, to pop up filters, cards, and even have used the ice or back of jerseys in a pinch. Others have used a dinner plate (done that), pringles lids and coffee filter.

You use them all the same way...
    1) Take a shot (fill the screen or shoot through it) with the white balance item of choice in the exposure setting that you'll be using in Auto White Balance mode.
    2) Tell the camera to use that frame for white balance
    3) Set the camera to custom white balance (you might not have to do this in some cameras)

And yes, you can set a custom white balance on a D50.

Is the expo disc worth the money? Yes and no. It does a fairly decent job at white balance, but I don't like that I have to buy one for each thread size. In a pinch, I have used the a dinner plate, but they do a so-so job. It's better than AWB, but I like everything else better. And I shoot in RAW when I can so I can always fine tune the white balance (but it's better to get it right in camera).

I'm currently testing out a new white balance gadget (made by a dgrinenr!) called SpectraSnap and there is a discussion about it here. So far... so good.

And here are some examples how WB impacts a photo.
    AWB:
    219042740-S.jpg

Custom White Balance (can't remember which gadget I used):
    217760219-S-1.jpg

I find that AWB generally does a poor job in low light situations.
    edited March 16, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    I've used a coffee filter before. I didn't hold it up to the lens and shoot "through" it though. I just followed the instructions for setting custom WB for my camera...I set focus to manual, made sure the coffee filter (or white piece of paper or WB card) completely filled the center circle when looking through my lens, took a shot (doesn't matter if it's blurry), then set that frame as my custom WB.
    It seems this method might work (??) at least a little bit even when using flash because you can take the shot while firing the flash and then you're telling the camera - that shot with the white stuff...I want it to be white in all my shots. ne_nau.gif

This is also a good method, and will probably get you pretty close. I keep a piece of 8.5x11 brite white epson card stock in my bag for setting WB using the same method. It will get you pretty close, although it is still just a tad cool for my tastes...at least with my camera.
    edited March 16, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    I shoot ice hockey and I find that white balance is the key to a well exposed photo and bascially in any low light situation.

I have bought and used many gadgets for white balance from the expo disc, to pop up filters, cards, and even have used the ice or back of jerseys in a pinch. Others have used a dinner plate (done that), pringles lids and coffee filter.

1) Take a shot (fill the screen or shoot through it) with the white balance item of choice in the exposure setting that you'll be using in Auto White Balance mode.
    3) Set the camera to custom white balance (you might not have to do this in some cameras)

Is the expo disc worth the money? Yes and no. It does a fairly decent job at white balance, but I don't like that I have to buy one for each thread size. In a pinch, I have used the a dinner plate, but they do a so-so job. It's better than AWB, but I like everything else better. And I shoot in RAW when I can so I can always fine tune the white balance (but it's better to get it right in camera).

I'm currently testing out a new white balance gadget (made by a dgrinenr!) called SpectraSnap and there is a discussion about it here. So far... so good.

AWB:
    219042740-S.jpg

217760219-S-1.jpg

I haven't tried one of these, but had some great discussion with Chris about his speedlight gels. He would be more than happy to answer any questions about his products.
  • BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Hey Brigg

The method is to put the coffee filter over the end of the lens and then point the camera at the light source to take an exposure for WB. Be sure to set the camera on manual focus first or it may not let it snap the shutter.

I have mixed feelings about this personally since I often use flash for fill. This method won't take fill flash into account. It would be alright for using existing light indoors....or on a sports field....maybe even out of doors....but I don't see how it could be right for fill flash. Maybe someone else will chime in and convince me otherwise. I have seen things like this mentioned mostly in the sports forum. Those guys use them all the time....the expodisk that is.

I shoot RAW, then adjust WB after the fact in a RAW editor. I should be using a grey card, but I guess I am just a rebel. I set WB by eye.

I have used the coffee filter method, in a high school gym. Instead of a filter, I used the white foamy stuff that was wrapped around my XTi when I bought it. It was pretty close....although a tad cool.

thanks Jeff...sounds pretty straight forward... so do you put to filter right up to the lens, or keep a bit of distance. As you can tell, i'm really new at this!

The reason i'm asking is i often find my shots are too red, or orange, blue, and so on when I rely on the preset WB on my camera (sunny, cloudy, tungsten, etc). I've been told before that some of my pics have serious magenta issues! I'm assuming that this could be due to incorrect white balance? I don't feel comfortable setting it by eye, since i have no hardward to use to calibrate my monitor, so i may just be making it worse in post! Hope to have some serious computer equipment soon, with a decent sized monitor! I'm using a lap top right now! Baby steps!:D
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
    edited March 17, 2008
    Elaine wrote:

cool...I guess i just have to jump in and play with it!! Thanks for helping in demystifying the whole thing! Is it me, or does this seem like some kind of guarded secret among the pros? :D

My Smug Gallery
    edited March 17, 2008
    aktse wrote:

AWB:
    219042740-S.jpg

217760219-S-1.jpg

wow!! Your examples are pretty dramatic! SUCH a difference! Thanks for the step by step! And i hear you about the draw back to the expodisc! Maybe they could develop one a la Cokin system, with a square expodisc that can slip into the Cokin holder, and be more versatile!

I'll check out your links! thanks!

My Smug Gallery
    edited March 17, 2008
    Thanks all! maybe i'll play around with this a bit, and post the results! Have a great week!!...BTW, gotta LOVE this formum, with all you great folks at the ready to give support and info!! You Rock...all of you!! thumb.gif

Ciao!
    B

My Smug Gallery
  • Ken LappKen Lapp Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Briggie wrote:
    Hi Folks...

Cheers!
    B
    I am now using the Pocket Digital Calibration Target from PhotoVision. This disc is unique as it has black and white panels, in addition to 18% gray. This lets you check the exposure at the same time you are metering off the gray panel to set your white balance.

If you are shooting raw you can set the custom white balance in your camera, or just shoot the disc and refer to it during post processing. In Lightroom it is very easy to set the white balance by reading the gray portion of the disc in the 1st photo of the shoot, then use the synchronize feature to set the WB on all the other photos in the set.

It does cost a bit more than a coffee filter...:D... but it does give consistant, great results.
    Ken Lapp, White Hawk Images
    Portrait, Wedding & Event Photography

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    White styrofoam cup deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    With respect to the size issue with Expodisk, it's really a non-issue. Just get one to fit your largest diameter lens, and hold it manually in front of your smaller lenses. Works for me and I'm a fumble-fingers.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • 3n-out3n-out Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    I have a 77mm espodisc and love it. I still don't know if it is worth the 100.00 cost but non-the-less I like it and it is convient to use.
    If you don't have creative enthusiasum all you have is a camera in your hands!

My Webpage - http://www.3n-out.com
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    3n-out wrote:
    I have a 77mm espodisc and love it. I still don't know if it is worth the 100.00 cost but non-the-less I like it and it is convient to use.

The ExpoDisk works great if it's used correctly.

Cost?

1. Like I said, it works great!

2. I guess everyones different, but I can't imagine being where I shoot, or shooting a wedding, or portrait, etc. & put a coffee filter or Styrofoam cup over my lens every time I need to reset the WB. What's it worth to look professional?

There are times when appearance makes a difference. Example: I'm shooting a barrel race. The action is close enough to setup multiple speedlights, but I'll use my monolights. Why? Because Uncle Bill doesn't have monolights. It helps to separate mentally the "hey, I've got one of those speedlights, I can do this just as good", as opposed to "look at those BIG lights, I guess I can't compete with my speedlight".

YMMV :D
    Randy
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited March 20, 2008
    Randy, how do you use your Expsodisk for white balance with your monolights at the rodeo?

Do you really step down into the arena with the brahma bulls to get a shot for white balance?

The Expsodisc depends on your being able to intercept the lighting falling on the subject with your camera, but this is not always possible in some venues, is it?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Randy, how do you use your Expsodisk for white balance with your monolights at the rodeo?

Do you really step down into the arena with the brahma bulls to get a shot for white balance?

The Expsodisc depends on your being able to intercept the lighting falling on the subject with your camera, but this is not always possible in some venues, is it?

Jim,

I take the ExpoDisk shot when I'm in the arena BEFORE they let the bulls out. I'm in the arena before the event starts to check my monolights balance and exposure via a hand held light meter anyway.

After all that is done, THEN I GET INTO THE ARENA WITH THE BULLS to shoot, that's how you get those "realistic" looking pictures eek7.gif

Hey, it's a living rolleyes1.gif

But your correct, sometimes you can't access where the subjects are. In that case you can still get acceptable results by one of two methods.

1. Point your camera with ExpoDisk "toward" the lighting and take your WB shot.

2. Point your camera with ExpoDisk "toward" the subjects position and take your WB shot. This is a reflective light shot and does somewhat take into account anything that is giving a color shade/cast. Such as red dirt, green grass, etc. NOTE: This method is NOT as good as being in your subjects position and pointing your camera at the light source or your camera shooting position. This method will take into account every source of color cast/shade that will fall/reflect from your subject.
    Randy
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    When shooting in gyms or arenas that have cycling lights, use Tv 1/60 to get your WB, to make sure you cover the "array" of lights. mwink.gif
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited March 20, 2008
    Good point, PineApple, that flourescent and other lights that vary their output with the AC current cycle, should be shot at slower ( longer duration than 1/100th seconds ) shutter speeds to capture the full spectrum of light that they emit per each pulse.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I use a top to a large bottle of Tide. The semi-clear plastic cup,
    and put a round cut out of a piece of foan wrap inside.
    Just put it over the lens.
    This is also my SB-600 flash diffuser, it fits snuggly over the top of the flash.

Samples in a few days, give it a try, its cheap and it works.

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
    edited March 21, 2008
    time2smile wrote:

I use a top to a large bottle of Tide. The semi-clear plastic cup,
    and put a round cut out of a piece of foan wrap inside.
    Just put it over the lens.
    This is also my SB-600 flash diffuser, it fits snuggly over the top of the flash.

Samples in a few days, give it a try, its cheap and it works.

Pretty inventive!! :D

My Smug Gallery