Options

Minor Bird

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited April 13, 2005 in People
I met this jazz saxophone player under the Waban Arch Bridge. I was on the other side of the river, shooting the bridge and the old mill upriver (see here) when I noticed him getting his horn out of its case on the other side of the river, right under the bridge. Soon he was playing with a sound that reminded my of Sonny Rollins. It particularly reminded me of Autumn Nocturn, the first track on Silver City.

Man! I hastily made my way to the other side of the river and to the platform under the bridge. He was still there and still playing in the dusk light under the bridge and he still sounded like Sonny.

19416893-L.jpg

He told me that he is called "Minor Bird". "The Minor Bird?", I asked, and he agreed.

19416098-L.jpg

I asked whether he every played anywhere where I could hear him. He said he hadn't had a jazz gig for many years. People just don't love jazz like that anymore. His day job is answering the phone for one of those companies that sells alarms for old and infirm people to signal that they are in trouble. I pointed to my camera and said that myday job was software, but that I'd like a pro gig, too. So we shared a moment in the sunset light under the bridge.

19414801-L.jpg

One never knows, do one?
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 11, 2005
    Nice ones Rutt thumb.gifthumb.gif

I really like the second one. They way his tilting head parallels the lines in the pic clap.gif You are so lucky to have jazz sax to listen to. All we get out here is the noise pollution from inside those little Japanese streetracers. That constant, door rattling, boomba, boomba, boomba eek7.gif

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    I really like the second one too rutt.. The light is nice and the compostion imh

exciting catch huh?
  • Options
    AlexIsAlexIs Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    the second picture is awesomethumb.gif! The exposure of the instrument is perfect.
  • Options
    KimballPhotographyKimballPhotography Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    What a great story rutt! I love jazz and would have been thrilled to come across this guy. Beautiful pictures, I have to say number one is my favorite even though the subject is shadowed. I love seeing his suroundings, it makes the picture. Number two is awesome as well. Heck, they are all good, lolclap.gif.
    Natalie:thumb

A single photograph can tell an entire story and bring back a multitude of memories.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    Thanks everyone. I could easily have fixed the shadows in the first, but I was going for a dramatic silhouette. Maybe I'll rework it.

After I posted this, I found out that there is a Minor Bird reference that I didn't know about at the time. It a Robert Frost poem, particularly apt.
    A Minor Bird
    Poem lyrics of A Minor Bird by Robert Frost.

I have wished a bird would fly away,
    And not sing by my house all day;

Have clapped my hands at him from the door
    When it seemed as if I could bear no more.

The fault must partly have been in me.
    The bird was not to blame for his key.

And of course there must be something wrong
    In wanting to silence any song.
    If not now, when?