White balance shifting (Nikon D300)

fenwick-dadfenwick-dad Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited October 17, 2009 in Technique
While shooting at an volleyball game, I saw my white balance shift all over the map. I was not using the auto-white balance, but the fluorescent setting. Every other image looked different. Is this a dirty sensor? HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

9885591_a4KfY#673358495_ZvEKw

9885591_a4KfY#673358177_jVLyy

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    Was there outside light spilling into certain parts of the gym? I ended up using AWB for a game because of exactly that issue.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • fenwick-dadfenwick-dad Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 7, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Was there outside light spilling into certain parts of the gym? I ended up using AWB for a game because of exactly that issue.

The game was last night, so no outside sun. I have also seen this happen at other night activities. My Friday night football pictures all had to be edited after the game.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    The game was last night, so no outside sun. I have also seen this happen at other night activities. My Friday night football pictures all had to be edited after the game.

I assume you either had no flash or something reliably bouncing when you shot; no variance in color sources.

I guess in theory, if your shutter speed were fast enough, you might be catching some of the natural variance in the lights themselves.

Edit: Ps, you pictures aren't showing up in your post. Make sure you have external links enabled.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • fenwick-dadfenwick-dad Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 7, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I assume you either had no flash or something reliably bouncing when you shot; no variance in color sources.

I guess in theory, if your shutter speed were fast enough, you might be catching some of the natural variance in the lights themselves.

Edit: Ps, you pictures aren't showing up in your post. Make sure you have external links enabled.

I don't know how to change the external links settings, but I do have the setting enabled.  The HTML code is off and I don't know how to change that.  I spoke to Nikon, and they had me reset my camera back to factory settings.  It seems to work, we will see.  Thanks for your help.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    Put that thing on Auto WB and enjoy...~
    tom wise
  • ElginetPhotosElginetPhotos Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    angevin1 wrote:
    Put that thing on Auto WB and enjoy...~

Expodisc! It's hard to get into the habit of using it.......but what a lot of PP hassle it saves!
    Bill O'Neill - Media and Fire Photography
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    While shooting at an volleyball game, I saw my white balance shift all over the map. I was not using the auto-white balance, but the fluorescent setting. Every other image looked different. Is this a dirty sensor? HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

9885591_a4KfY#673358495_ZvEKw

9885591_a4KfY#673358177_jVLyy
    Some types of lighting changes it's color balance constantly through the 60Hz electric cycle. Our eye sees only an average color, but a fast shutter speed can capture this variable color differently depending upon where in the cycle the image happens. This results in highly inconsistent color from one image to the next. The only solutions I know of are to use a very slow shutter speed (usually not practical) or to add your own illumination to overpower the varying color (usually flash).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 17, 2009
    Shooting under fluorescent lights in gymnasiums, one soon learns that shutter speeds shorter than 1/60th or so, the color balance varies all over the map - red tones, green tones, etc.

Try to keep your shutter open at least 1/60th of sec. At 1/125th you will begin to see the color variations usually.

Oh - you're shooting sports and want to shoot at 1/300th? Welcome to modern technology! Maybe a faster lens and a higher ISO?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin