Options

Professional level film cameras

ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
edited July 25, 2011 in Cameras
dbarnby wrote:
canon is back up and running but to my knowledge nikon got hit worse which means no F5/6s D700s or D3s for a while :/

They still make F5's and F6's? I knew Canon made the 1V (why is it so expensive?:scratch) but I thought the F6's were done :dunno

Comments

• Options
    dbarnbydbarnby Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    They still make F5's and F6's? I knew Canon made the 1V (why is it so expensive?headscratch.gif) but I thought the F6's were done ne_nau.gif

Sorry - on closer inspection the F5 is finished with production but looks like the F6 is still in low-rate production - like the 1V and the F6 is still expensive too... 3.2k on amazon.com... I guess because they know that only a few people buy 35mm cameras now and they can price their best ones accordingly...
    "I tried to keep both arts alive, but the camera won. I found that while the camera does not express the soul, perhaps a photograph can!" - Ansel Adams

www.danielbarnby.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited July 22, 2011
    I started this new thread to discuss why professional "film" SLRs are so expensive and so that we don't hijack the previous thread here:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=201341

Carry on. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2011
    haha great :)
    "I tried to keep both arts alive, but the camera won. I found that while the camera does not express the soul, perhaps a photograph can!" - Ansel Adams

www.danielbarnby.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited July 22, 2011
    It is my understanding that professional level film cameras are still being used in scientific, military and law enforcement applications. The attraction is that film, in general, is much more difficult to alter than digital files (from a digital camera) and so film cameras provide image media with a very good "unbroken chain of evidence" from acquisition to presentation.

In some cases, either a film camera, or a digital camera with a "Data Verification" device and/or kit, is "required" and/or "mandated" to maintain the evidentiary trail.

The particular accounting system can also play a part in the decision. I believe that most law enforcement agencies have to pay for the capital purchase items, camera(s), lens(es), flash(es), etc., from the operational budget, but the costs of expendables and evidentiary items, film and/or memory card(s) in this case, can be attached to the particular case. Since film and processing charges are often attached to individual cases, that keeps the "total cost of ownership" low for film cameras versus digital cameras plus the data verification equipment.

The reason that professional grade equipment is specified is because of durability, reliability and versatility issues. Police cameras, for instance, may need to be used in all sorts of environmental conditions where the camera's environmental seals and more durable construction are a benefit.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2011
    That's interesting! had no idea that they were being used so professionally! I just thought that obviously collectors would buy them and the photographers who love the look of film and the cheap price associated with a high-end film camera, film and processing that is now available (I know that processing and scanning to digital is quite cheap) and takes a while to get to the same kind of price as getting the same level digital camera...

www.danielbarnby.com