First try for an old guy.

john ljohn l Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited January 6, 2012 in Sports

Comments

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    photo still doesn't appear. I cut/pasted the URL and the displayed photo is too tiny to make any useful critique on. If you want good feedback you'll need to link a larger photo.
  • john ljohn l Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    Thanks Sports Shooter. This is the first time I have tried to post. I guess I'm just too old to make it easy. I have a site on Photobucket but have no idea of how to get a halfway decent pic from there to dgrin. If you have an opportunity perhaps you could take a peek The login is winterhawks and password which you should not need is mickey83. I'm at a loss to figure out how to make this work. john
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2012
    john l wrote: »
    Thanks Sports Shooter. This is the first time I have tried to post. I guess I'm just too old to make it easy. I have a site on Photobucket but have no idea of how to get a halfway decent pic from there to dgrin. If you have an opportunity perhaps you could take a peek The login is winterhawks and password which you should not need is mickey83. I'm at a loss to figure out how to make this work. john

If you don't have a SmugMug site the process is more difficult. Basically you have to take the photo and size it down to allowable proportions, then manually post it. I rarely ever post photos here because I do not use SmugMug. But I like the crowd here so I hang around!
    edited January 4, 2012
    Thanks for your information. I shoot both hockey and soccer but I think it will be too difficult to post on this forum. You are right the people here are top notch. Lots of good information. j
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited January 4, 2012
    ...but I think it will be too difficult to post on this forum.
    See this post for some information on how to post photos here, from smug, from flicker, and other places as well.

--- Denise
    edited January 4, 2012
    Thanks for your comments Denise but I must be missing something. Johng tried to download the pic but said it transferred too small. Since he is more adept than I it will probably not work at least without a lot of fooling around. I guess I will continue to drop by since this is a great site but will forget about posting and pics. Thanks for your trouble. j
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 5, 2012
    jhefti wrote: »
    If you don't have a SmugMug site the process is more difficult. Basically you have to take the photo and size it down to allowable proportions, then manually post it. I rarely ever post photos here because I do not use SmugMug. But I like the crowd here so I hang around!
    That isn't true at all. Dgrin uses the same BB code as nearly every web forum in existence. Regardless of who hosts your images, it's the same procedure. You get the URL of the image and place it in IMG tags either manually or by using the image icon in the composition window. I'd venture to say half the images posted on Dgrin are hosted elsewhere than on Smugmug. You can also upload your images to Dgrin when you create your post if you don't have your images on line somewhere. See the link that Denise referenced for the detailed procedures.
    edited January 5, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    That isn't true at all. Dgrin uses the same BB code as nearly every web forum in existence. Regardless of who hosts your images, it's the same procedure. You get the URL of the image and place it in IMG tags either manually or by using the image icon in the composition window. I'd venture to say half the images posted on Dgrin are hosted elsewhere than on Smugmug. You can also upload your images to Dgrin when you create your post if you don't have your images on line somewhere. See the link that Denise referenced for the detailed procedures.

It only works if the argument within the IMG function ends in a recognisable image format, which is not always true. Putting a URL as the IMG argument will give nothing if it is not recognised as an image file. For example, here is the URL for a shot on my Zenfolio site: http://johnhefti.com/p373759744/h30dd164b#h30dd164b. Since it does not end in jpg or gif, embedding in IMG will give nothing. Zenfolio uses this structure to make the photos hard to download by a remote user. However, the actual image is obviously embedded somewhere in there--each site different probably--so you just have to find that image link and paste it.
  • RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012

Part of the problem I see here is the j before the http:// without the j in there I can get to the image but it is 160 pixels on the long side and way to small to do anything with.

now just grabbing a different image from your photobucket account and copying the IMG code seems to work thought the Image is HUGE.

AETeam_0279.jpg

this being the code for the original image you tried to post

untitled-415-Edit.jpg

If this is a bad thing for me to have done I apologize now. Just trying to help.
    Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
    50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
    Canon speedlights and Alien Bees
    edited January 5, 2012
    Let me try this:

p568299465-4.jpg

HA! It works!! I just had to dig through the HTML code to find the source image. Not too hard, really; I should have thought of this before!

PS: the tools menu on the edit page of Zenfolio gives this as well, and at a variety of sizes.
    edited January 5, 2012
    OK John, I figured out how to do this from Photobucket and it's really easy! Just go to the photo in Photobucket that you would like to post here, and open it up so that it is a single photo on the page (i.e., not a page with a whole array of photos). In the upper right you will see two links that say, 'Links' and 'Photo Info'. Click on the small triangle just to the left of the 'Links' option to open up a menu with four choices. Choose the last of these choices, 'IMG Code' and just click on it. This will copy it. Then just go to the post here on which you want the image to appear, and paste it right into the post--no need to use the image icon and paste in the pop-up window! You're good to go!

Hope this helps!

John
    edited January 5, 2012
    Hi Randy thanks for your help. You and John are great for taking an interest in my problem. I'm still having some problems trying to download from photobucket but I will try and work it out. For some reason I can't seem to cut and paste onto dgrin. Oh well back to the drawing board. john
    edited January 5, 2012
    [IMG][/img]_MG_7152-Edit.jpg
    edited January 5, 2012
    Hey it worked. Now if I can only remember what I did. Anyhow a big thanks to all of you who offered my assistance. john
    edited January 5, 2012
    One more try before I go to bed.[IMG][/img]A_TeamvsEGwillimburyW_0325.jpg
  • RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    some problems trying to download from photobucket but I will try and work it out. For some reason I can't seem to cut and paste onto dgrin. Oh well back to the drawing board. john

Hi John.

You dont have to download anything, Just copy and paste that IMG code they supply you.

I see you have been working on it. Just a tip, You only need one brace before and one after your photo info. MAke sure it doesn't look like [IMG][/img]httpwhatever the picture info is[IMG][/img]
    Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
    50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
    Canon speedlights and Alien Bees
  • Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012

Photobucket is very simple. Just hover the mouse over the picture you want, and it will give you a "direct link" click that.

Then switch to dgrin, hit the mountain button, insert the link as decreed ... voila, a picture.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net