Pixel King Pro/X (3rd gen) Triggers

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited May 16, 2014 in Accessories
I originally bought a set of the Kings (2nd gen) in summer 2012 - they've been a great addition to the bag and I have really been happy to have them. For under $200 for a transmitter and 2x receivers, they're a fabulous value, and also one of the few sets that can do ETTL without a lot of extra fuss and folderol.

Scroll forward to this autumn: I broke the base foot on one of my receivers not once, but twice (my stands keep getting blown over and/or dropped). For the record, PK sent me the part as soon as I asked for it - they were very helpful - but the second fall broke the foot beyond repair.... even though the unit still works!!! However, as the new set (1 transmitter/1 receiever) was $142 vs $80 for just a receiver of the 2nd gen I decided I just get the new one, especially since the trigger is backwards-compatible with the older receivers.

There's a great review (with some helpful "how to" information) over at Flash Havoc with photos and a lot of valuable comments, so I'll link that rather than repeat it all.

My overall impressions:

Pros
  • build quality much improved
  • LCD screen is really nice - lovely to have a visual reference
  • backwards-compatible with the 2nd gen Kings (didn't have to upgrade firmware or anything; they worked right out of the box)
  • unlike in-camera ETTL info, it gives you the EV (rather than just +/- stops like you see in the viewfinder)
  • ABC groups and ratios - at last!
  • you can mix ETTL and Manual flashes - this is particularly helpful if you have older flashes (see below)
  • it fires more flashes than it says it does - this has some problems (see below) but they WILL fire, so it can be useful.

Cons
  • you have to adjust FEC on the trigger; you no longer do it through the camera's menu. The method to adjust FEC requires a lot of button pushes ("set" "A" "+/-" "set"), instead of the quick spin-dial you can use in-camera, so I'm listing it as a "con", even though it is nice to be able to see EXACTLY what the settings are without having to change camera menus. yin/yan.
  • ETTL FEC on the trigger is only available on exII flashes. HOWEVER... if you have older flashes, you can adjust the output in MANUAL on the flash itself, and the trigger will fire it. So, in my case, I can use my 580ex in Manual mode as a background light, while using my 480ex in ETTL mode and adjusting as needed from the trigger.
  • Unexpected bonus: it WILL fire my old 420ex. It will only fire it at full power and can't communicate ETTL (and the flash has no manual mode to use), but it will make a useful background light. Useful for me with the gear I have.
  • no longer has a flash assist on the trigger.
I'd say that if you're buying a new set and have mkII flashes, it's a no-brainer to get these. If you only have mkI flashes, you may want to think twice if you particularly want ETTL, although they will work fine in manual. This batch are made out of sturdier plastic than their predecessors and, while they are still using a plastic foot on the receievers, they're overall a chunkier piece of gear than before. For $142, I don't think you can go too far wrong with these :thumb

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2013
    very good review

....I will be getting a minimum of 3 triggers and 1 transmitter in the near future....the Gen 2 worked well with my SB 900's but since no test button i was not interested.....but these new Gen 3's are quite interesting...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• TJGardnerTJGardner Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2014
    Diva-
    Wondering if you ended up getting the Canon setup you were pondering in December. I see a package at B&H that includes two 600's and the ST-E3-RT and am considering making the leap.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2014
    I didn't - funds haven't allowed. I really WANT to streamline it down to 2x flashes + 1 trigger, but haven't been able to yet. It's still very much on my radar thumb.gif
  • TJGardnerTJGardner Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2014
    Thanks. As I am exploring portrait work, I have found your posts on the topic of ETTL here and your work in the People forum to be very helpful. I have the 5DMkII as well, but only an on-camera 430EXII for light. I think the 2x 600's plus the ST-E3-RT looks very attractive for simplicity both in setup, portability, and the benefit of ETTL. Thanks for all your contributions to those discussions.
    edited April 20, 2014
    Thanks. I honestly find speedlights ample for the work I do. I have used studio lights (in the college studio) and while of course they can present certain benefits, I can't even IMAGINE using them in my small home studio space, and location? Forget it. Speedlights are definitely the champs there. I admit I have been very lazy about practicing fully manual flash - it's not that I "can't" but that it's just one extra thing to think about. ETTL is, for the most part, consistent enough that I can just set it and forget it. I absolutely don't have the money right now, but I really do want to get the Canon radio set up; the only good thing about being forced to wait is that maybe by the time I can afford it they will have released whatever will be teh 400-series equivalent; smaller and lighter but still STE3 radio-compatible would be a perfect set up for me, especially with the likely cost savings (vs the 600s)...................
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2014
    Phottix has the Mitros+ with radios built into the flash and Odin trigger. This system has been getting really good reviews. http://flashhavoc.com/phottix-scott-kelby-mitros-odin-portable-lighting-kit/

I'm probably getting that kit and then purchasing a receiver for my other flash. Will have two flash system as well as a trigger system that can be used on my alien bees

Other interesting options reviewed at flashhavoc. What really has me interested are the flashes with lithium batteries and bare bulb flash from Godox as well. You can get more bang for the buck with some of the third party options.
    http://flashhavoc.com/godox-v860c-ving-ettl-flash-review/
    http://flashhavoc.com/cheetah-cl180-godox-ad180-review/
  • Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2014
    Hey Divamum... have you ever experienced loosng communication w/ the King's trigger to reciever. The flash would always fire but at times when trying to adjust power via the camera it wont adjust. I would have to power down and and restart for the communication to kck in. I mostly use in manual but I have used ETTL and in one occasion the setup wouldn't switch over as I was tying to in camera. Im thinking a Firmware but I have no idea how to do it... the file downloaded cant be opened and I never received a usb sync cable I hear is needed to do so. By the way Art Scott the set up does have a test fire method. Press both the channel and group buttons together and it it will fire remotely.
    edited May 15, 2014
    No, never anything like that. I have noticed inconsistencies if the batteries aren't freshly charged, but that's about it. Sorry no further info! I can tell you that pixel king hk are good about replying to queries - the English can take a little parsing to understand, but they reply quickly (wihtin the limitations of timezone differences!)
  • Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2014
    Have you ever updated the firmware. If so how did you open the .rar file that downloads?
    edited May 16, 2014
    No, I jsut used the preloaded firmware....

Rar is a compression format - you probably need to unload it before using it. Google around - there are programs that will do that for you.
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2014
    A program called "Total Commander" can unpack RAR files.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams