Options

Crop Thumbnails in new SM

CharlyCharly Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited January 8, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
Finally got around to working on galleries and went to crop (adjust) my thumbnails. I've tried everything I can think of to get what I want to show, but couldn't do it. Obviously missed something... So how do we crop thumbs exactly in the new SM? I looked all over dgrin, but couldn't find a thread about this. Forgive if it's a duplicate. Thanks!
www.ImagerybyCharly.com | Serving the DFW area of Texas and beyond

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited January 4, 2014
    I don't use square thumbs so I can't test it, but I assume it's the Adjust Thumbnails option. Go into Organizer, select the gallery, click the wrench icon, select Adjust Thumbnails.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2014
    I don't use square thumbs so I can't test it, but I assume it's the Adjust Thumbnails option. Go into Organizer, select the gallery, click the wrench icon, select Adjust Thumbnails.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise for the quick reply! Well when I click on Adjust Thumbnails a new page opens with the images of that gallery. You are able to select the images you want to adjust, but.... you cannot choose the crop you want; reposition. headscratch.gif

It's like SM thinks it knows what you want and does it automatically with a click on Save button. Well although some of my thumbs are close, most are cropped wrong; cutting things off. That's why I asked what I was doing wrong. lol But thanks for the attempt to help! :):
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2014
    Come to find out it's more time consuming to crop thumbs in the new SM, cuz you cannot batch them (no auto to the next image or arrow to go to the next). Unless I've missed something? Which I certainly hope is the case.

1. First while in Organize you adjust to Square (only have to do this once when created)
    2. Click Done to go into the Gallery
    3. Click on the image to adjust (one by one of all the images, in every gallery)
    4. Click on wrench below image
    5. Click on Edit
    6. Click on Crop thumbnail
    7. Click on Ratio
    8. Adjust to what you want
    9. Click Apply

Geeeez guys could you waste anymore of my time? headscratch.gif :cry My workflow is getting more time consuming instead of streamlined....
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited January 4, 2014
    Charly wrote: »
    ...although some of my thumbs are close, most are cropped wrong; cutting things off.
    Sorry for the misdirection. I think I found the right place now. Unfortunately it looks like an image level tool...

Open your gallery. Click the photo you want to change so it opens in lightbox. Click Tools... Edit... Crop Thumbnail.

added later: Oops, just saw that we posted at the same time. I'll leave this post in case it helps someone else...

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2014
    Sorry for the misdirection. I think I found the right place now. Unfortunately it looks like an image level tool...

Open your gallery. Click the photo you want to change so it opens in lightbox. Click Tools... Edit... Crop Thumbnail.

added later: Oops, just saw that we posted at the same time. I'll leave this post in case it helps someone else...

--- Denise

No worries Denise, you are a great help on the forum! Thanks!
  • Options
    afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2014
    You have hit on my biggest frustration with SM that I have been (politely) complaining about for years. At least with the old SM you could quickly go from one image automatically to the next without going back to the gallery. A far cry from fast bulk cropping, but doable. They have totally broken that and made it impossibly tedious. There was an old bulk crop thumbnail hack that was brilliant, but it has been gone for a few years now.

This isn't helpful, I know, except that you know you aren't alone in finding this ridiculous.

**end rant (for now...)

Adam

Charly wrote: »
    Come to find out it's more time consuming to crop thumbs in the new SM, cuz you cannot batch them (no auto to the next image or arrow to go to the next). Unless I've missed something? Which I certainly hope is the case.

1. First while in Organize you adjust to Square (only have to do this once when created)
    2. Click Done to go into the Gallery
    3. Click on the image to adjust (one by one of all the images, in every gallery)
    4. Click on wrench below image
    5. Click on Edit
    6. Click on Crop thumbnail
    7. Click on Ratio
    8. Adjust to what you want
    9. Click Apply

Geeeez guys could you waste anymore of my time? headscratch.gif :cry My workflow is getting more time consuming instead of streamlined....