New SmugMug iOS Browsing App!

mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
edited August 6, 2014 in SmugMug Product News
Edit August 6th: This thread was about version 2.0, and 2.1 is quite a re-write. It has it's own thread here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=248742

Allright guys...you have been asking for it....we have been hard at work, revamping our iOS browsing app. This app will work on any Apple device with iOS 7. Head on over to the App Store and get the app today!

Please test it out and let us know your feedback or questions HERE in this thread.

Thanks!

screen568x568.jpeg

Comments

• updeinvaupdeinva Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2014
    I am experiencing all kinds of crashes with the latest update on my ipad 4. Also, how do you hide folders and galleries? They are hidden on my website but are showing up on the ipad.
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2014
    updeinva wrote: »
    I am experiencing all kinds of crashes with the latest update on my ipad 4. Also, how do you hide folders and galleries? They are hidden on my website but are showing up on the ipad.

I would think they are showing for you since you are logged in.

Can you describe what your steps are when you experience the crash?
  • ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2014
    mbonocore wrote: »
    I would think they are showing for you since you are logged in.

Can you describe what your steps are when you experience the crash?

Hey Up,
    If you're logged into the app you can see all your hidden folders as you would be able to if you were logged in via a browser, if you're browsing an account and you're not logged in to that account then you shouldn't see hidden folders, let me know if this isn't the case.

As for crashes, lemmie know what you're doing and what your username is (you can PM me if you like).

Sam.
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
    edited January 13, 2014
    Shizam wrote: »
    Hey Up,
    If you're logged into the app you can see all your hidden folders as you would be able to if you were logged in via a browser, if you're browsing an account and you're not logged in to that account then you shouldn't see hidden folders, let me know if this isn't the case.

As for crashes, lemmie know what you're doing and what your username is (you can PM me if you like).

Sam.

Username: upde

The crashes were happening with the Private Weddings folder.

I am not logged in but still seeing the hidden folders. Does it have anything to do with the privacy settings: private, public, unlisted?
    edited January 13, 2014
    Hey Bob,

We actually think the crashing may not be related to the App. We are investigating.

As for your galleries, everything in the Weddings folder appears to be set to "Public" but Password protected. This means that they will be visible in the app (and your website) but the photos themselves won't be accessible without the password. Hope this helps.
    edited January 13, 2014
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Hey Bob,

We actually think the crashing may not be related to the App. We are investigating.

As for your galleries, everything in the Weddings folder appears to be set to "Public" but Password protected. This means that they will be visible in the app (and your website) but the photos themselves won't be accessible without the password. Hope this helps.

The crashes were with the Wedding private galleries. These are not the ones that I was referring to as being hidden. I had two folders that were showing up when I was not logged in. I changed the security and privacy to unlisted, and that seemed to fix it because they are no longer showing up on the app. I am still experiencing multiple crashes, and everything seems to load very slowly or not load at all. Thank you for your help. Hoping that the crashes are something that can be figured out.
  • demdem Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2014
    Thanks for the new version of this app!

On a retina iPad the thumbnails look soft, as if non-HiDPI versions are being used. Thumbnails look much better in Safari.

Also it seems most of my photos, especially those shot in portrait orientation, also look soft if I'm not allowing Original size viewing. My guess is that X3 just isn't enough.
    Dave
    edited January 15, 2014
    dem wrote: »
    Thanks for the new version of this app!

On a retina iPad the thumbnails look soft, as if non-HiDPI versions are being used. Thumbnails look much better in Safari.

Also it seems most of my photos, especially those shot in portrait orientation, also look soft if I'm not allowing Original size viewing. My guess is that X3 just isn't enough.

Hey Dem,
    The soft thumbs on a retina iPad is something I want to improve in a future release so thats on us. If you have disabled originals in your galleries then its true, all the app can download is X3 which will be soft on a retina iPad, if you want to see sharper images you'll need to enable originals on those galleries.

Sam
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
    edited January 15, 2014
    Thanks for the reply, Sam.

In the SmugMug Support forum Baldy once mentioned adding X4 and X5. Can you comment on whether that's still happening (assuming one of those would be big enough to look great on an iPad)?
    Dave
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,010 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2014
    I sure hope they are very small photos being d/l'ed to cell photos like the iPhone.
    Otherwise you'll destroy everyone's data limit.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited January 15, 2014
    updeinva wrote: »
    The crashes were with the Wedding private galleries. These are not the ones that I was referring to as being hidden. I had two folders that were showing up when I was not logged in. I changed the security and privacy to unlisted, and that seemed to fix it because they are no longer showing up on the app. I am still experiencing multiple crashes, and everything seems to load very slowly or not load at all. Thank you for your help. Hoping that the crashes are something that can be figured out.

Hey Upde,
    Which gallery specifically is causing the problem, I'm having a hard time finding one that will crash?
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited January 15, 2014

In the SmugMug Support forum Baldy once mentioned adding X4 and X5. Can you comment on whether that's still happening (assuming one of those would be big enough to look great on an iPad)?
    It's still happening but not in the way we were on the verge of releasing when I wrote that. Sorry for the confusion, but perhaps a day or two after I posted that and we were sure we were going to ship it, we figured out a better way and have been working on it since.
    edited January 15, 2014

Hey Dem,
    We determined it was a bug that as a logged in owner you were getting X3 images in a gallery you had limited to X3 where you should have been getting higher res images. We've updated the site and you should notice for future albums you visit in the app its getting high-res images. Unfortunately for any albums you've already visited in the app it will still show the X3 images that its already downloaded to your device, if you want to clear those out you'll need to delete your user and log in again to 'clear the cache'.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,010 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2014
    What size photos are being sent to the iPhone?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2014
    Two questions:

1) Who gave you permission to create a folder called "Saved From SmugMug" on my iPhone? I understand that I wanted to save an image to my CamerRoll and I permitted access to the CameraRoll... but that does not give you any rights to surprise me with things like new folders. Bad design, thoughtless design decision. On the same note - upon saving the image... guess where it went.. nope.. NOT to the new folder called "Saved From SmugMug". It actually went to a CamerRoll.

2) Upon viewing a watermarked image on the iPhone, the watermark shows for a moment and then dissapears. Saved image did not have watermark as well. I guess it will go with Allen's question "What size photos are being sent to the iPhone?" ????

album I am talking about is /Events/"Cohoes Music Hall - Annie"
    edited January 16, 2014
    Hey Upde,
    Which gallery specifically is causing the problem, I'm having a hard time finding one that will crash?

So here is what is happening with me (all on the iPad Air with Verizon Fios 50/25):

1. When the app was first updated and opened, I chose the "Browse" option so I could see what it looked like to a non-administrator. I searched my name, it popped up right away, and it opened my site, although it loaded very slowly. Once it loaded I clicked on the Private Wedding Galleries folder. About 7 thumbnails appeared and then it crashed . . and it continued to crash every time I opened that folder. The other folders loaded very slowly, but did not crash.

2. I deleted the app and re-installed. This time I logged in (rather than clicking on the "browse") and everything loaded, again kind of slowly; but this time all the thumbnails appeared in all the folders and everything looked nice. I then logged out and the spinning white lines just kept spinning and spinning for several minutes. I finally forced quit the app.

3. I then re-opened the app and clicked on the "Browse" and searched my name. That popped up really fast. I clicked on my name and the white spinning lines just kept spinning and spinning and spinning. I never could access my site via the browser because all I get is the spinning white lines. That is where I am at this point.

In summary, I can log in and all seems to be fine, but it would not log out. When I try to open via the "browse", all I get is the spinning white lines. It sounds like you are able to access my site, but not sure why I am not.
  • mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2014
    mishenka wrote: »
    Two questions:
    On the same note - upon saving the image... guess where it went.. nope.. NOT to the new folder called "Saved From SmugMug". It actually went to a CamerRoll.

Just an FYI, but everything on your phone is always in Camera Roll. Think of it as the master pile of all the photos and videos on your device. The folders just contain pointers to the photos in Camera Roll. So if you put a photo into a folder and then delete the photo from the folder, it will still exist in Camera Roll. However if you put a photo in a folder and delete the photo from Camera Roll it will be gone from the folder too.

However none of that explains why the photo you saved is not also present in the Saved From Smugmug folder.
    edited January 16, 2014
    mbrady wrote: »
    Just an FYI, but everything on your phone is always in Camera Roll. Think of it as the master pile of all the photos and videos on your device. The folders just contain pointers to the photos in Camera Roll. So if you put a photo into a folder and then delete the photo from the folder, it will still exist in Camera Roll. However if you put a photo in a folder and delete the photo from Camera Roll it will be gone from the folder too.

However none of that explains why the photo you saved is not also present in the Saved From Smugmug folder.

Thanks! I am familiar with the iOS structure and what you are saying is absolutely correct. Hope SM can explain my original concerns.
  • mrhonimrhoni Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2014
    I'm using iPad Air.
    First time at each gallery it goes though what looks like a download. For many galleries, a few images are displayed and then the wheels just spin for all the other images. I back out of the gallery and then go back in and the rest of the images appear.

Now when I go into a gallery that was loaded, are the photos actually loaded onto my iPad? I think they are as the App's memory has grown by a lot once I started to access each of my galleries.
    I ask this because when viewing an image, it is not clear and after some seconds it is sharp. Why the delay? I timed a photo and it took 15 seconds from fuzzy to sharp. It almost seems that I have to view each image, wait for it to go from fuzzy to sharp and then move onto the next image. It seems the first time I view the image it takes many seconds to go from fuzzy to sharp and then the next time viewing it is < 1 second from fuzzy to sharp.

Another problem is that images showing on the iPad have the "PROOF" watermark displaying. This watermark is not on the image in my Smugmug gallery.
    edited January 16, 2014
    Hey Dem,
    We determined it was a bug that as a logged in owner you were getting X3 images in a gallery you had limited to X3 where you should have been getting higher res images. We've updated the site and you should notice for future albums you visit in the app its getting high-res images. Unfortunately for any albums you've already visited in the app it will still show the X3 images that its already downloaded to your device, if you want to clear those out you'll need to delete your user and log in again to 'clear the cache'.

This is great! Thank you!
    Dave
    edited January 16, 2014
    Two questions:

1) Who gave you permission to create a folder called "Saved From SmugMug" on my iPhone? I understand that I wanted to save an image to my CamerRoll and I permitted access to the CameraRoll... but that does not give you any rights to surprise me with things like new folders. Bad design, thoughtless design decision. On the same note - upon saving the image... guess where it went.. nope.. NOT to the new folder called "Saved From SmugMug". It actually went to a CamerRoll.

2) Upon viewing a watermarked image on the iPhone, the watermark shows for a moment and then dissapears. Saved image did not have watermark as well. I guess it will go with Allen's question "What size photos are being sent to the iPhone?" ????

• fanklefankle Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2014
    Captions?
    Is it possible to see captions in the app?

(I can't and can't see a way to turn it on)

Thanks,

Alison
  • JezSJezS Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2014
    fankle wrote: »
    is it possible to see captions in the app?

+1!
  • JezSJezS Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2014
    I really like the new app, a big improvement on the old one - thank you! However, there's something strange happening. I have a gallery that's set up so the photos are sorted on date taken in descending order - in other words the latest photos appears at the top.

When I initially view that gallery from the app everything appears correctly, but on subsequent visit any new photos are added at the end rather than the beginning.

Any clues?

Jez
    edited January 22, 2014
    Hi All,

I will work on getting answers for you. The head dev had a baby on Friday, so he has been a tad busy but should be back online asap. Will keep you posted!
  • mrhonimrhoni Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2014
    mrhoni wrote: »
    I'm using iPad Air.
    First time at each gallery it goes though what looks like a download. For many galleries, a few images are displayed and then the wheels just spin for all the other images. I back out of the gallery and then go back in and the rest of the images appear.

Now when I go into a gallery that was loaded, are the photos actually loaded onto my iPad? I think they are as the App's memory has grown by a lot once I started to access each of my galleries.
    I ask this because when viewing an image, it is not clear and after some seconds it is sharp. Why the delay? I timed a photo and it took 15 seconds from fuzzy to sharp. It almost seems that I have to view each image, wait for it to go from fuzzy to sharp and then move onto the next image. It seems the first time I view the image it takes many seconds to go from fuzzy to sharp and then the next time viewing it is < 1 second from fuzzy to sharp.

Another problem is that images showing on the iPad have the "PROOF" watermark displaying. This watermark is not on the image in my Smugmug gallery.

Regarding PROOF, 2 galleries have this and all images but the last have PROOF on them.

Regarding delay on viewing, after 40 seconds I moved to the next image and didn't want to wait longer.

This delay does not occur with Adobe Revel so they are doing something for a better experience. Title and or caption also are displayed with the image.
  • swcolleenswcolleen Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2014
    Am I missing something? I can't even get the app to go past loading screen on ipad mini.... Thanks
    edited February 3, 2014
    Two questions:

edited February 3, 2014
    Michael,

The photos are downloaded to my Saved From Smugmug album. Are you sure you are clicking the Download button? And you have the latest updated app?
    edited February 3, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    What size photos are being sent to the iPhone?

As of 2.0.1 the max size an iPhone will get is X3.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer