Options

Watermark Size

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited June 3, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
I am trying to create a smaller watermark for my images, but can't figure out how to size the darn thing.

I tried to size it to a full size (about 5200 pixels) image. I used 500 pixels long and this seemed to be be a good size, but when uploaded to Smugmug it is way too large.

How do I calculate the original watermark in PS?

Sam

Comments

• Options
    bokehlover71bokehlover71 Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2014
    SmugMug will try to scale your watermark to fit within your image, without changing the proportions. If most of your pictures have the same format (for example 3:2), make a transparent image in Photoshop in this format. I think 1600 pixels on the longest side is sufficient, as this is the largest view size in SmugMug. Then place and scale your watermark as you want in relation to the entire image and export as a transparent PNG file. You may make one file for landscape and another for portrait images.

To make a watermark that fits both portrait and landscape, you can make it square. Remember that on landscape images the watermark will be scaled to fit the height, and in portrait images the watermark will be scaled to fit the width. When you create the watermark in SmugMug, choose to place the watermark image in your desired location (to me it is down to the left). This will ensure a correct sized watermark in both portrait and landscape images.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2014
    SmugMug will try to scale your watermark to fit within your image, without changing the proportions. If most of your pictures have the same format (for example 3:2), make a transparent image in Photoshop in this format. I think 1600 pixels on the longest side is sufficient, as this is the largest view size in SmugMug. Then place and scale your watermark as you want in relation to the entire image and export as a transparent PNG file. You may make one file for landscape and another for portrait images.

To make a watermark that fits both portrait and landscape, you can make it square. Remember that on landscape images the watermark will be scaled to fit the height, and in portrait images the watermark will be scaled to fit the width. When you create the watermark in SmugMug, choose to place the watermark image in your desired location (to me it is down to the left). This will ensure a correct sized watermark in both portrait and landscape images.

That seems to make sense. Thanks!!

I will give this a try.

Sam
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2014
    The transparent png file I uploaded and made into a watermark was 310x156. I cropped off all
    but the text before uploading. It's much smaller then any photo it's used on but sizes nicely in
    any position I put it.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    bokehlover71bokehlover71 Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    The transparent png file I uploaded and made into a watermark was 310x156. I cropped off all
    but the text before uploading. It's much smaller then any photo it's used on but sizes nicely in
    any position I put it.
    Such small watermarks will look a bit blurry on a retina screen, because they are upscaled. I want my watermarks to look as sharp as possible on all displays, so therefore I do it this way. I hope it once will be possible to upload a high-res watermark and scale it down to desired size in the SmugMug watermark editor. That would be much easier.