Multilingual site

Tic TacTic Tac Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
edited February 17, 2015 in SmugMug Customization
Hi!

Here is a link to my site:
www.yvonarchambault.com

I am located in Quebec, Canada. This is a bilingual region, requiring support of both french and english.

My site is currently in french only.

I would like to me able to add a language preference button on my homepage, so that visitors can have access to menus in the language of their preference. My logo would also have to be in both french and english.

Is that doable?

Comments

• Tic TacTic Tac Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2015
    Anyone knows where I could get some support to build such a bilingual site?
    edited February 12, 2015
    What if I was to get a second Smumug account? Build them with the same look and feel, one in french, one in english.
    - Could I get a link (a simple language switch button) from one homepage to the other homepage?
    - Could the two accounts share the same albums or would I have to download photos twice?
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited February 12, 2015
    Tic Tac wrote: »
    What if I was to get a second Smumug account? Build them with the same look and feel, one in french, one in english.
    - Could I get a link (a simple language switch button) from one homepage to the other homepage?
    - Could the two accounts share the same albums or would I have to download photos twice?
    You could implement a link that would switch to the other site by adding an HTML block to the page that presents the link to the other language site.

As far as I know the two sites can't share the same albums but you could collect photos from one site to display on the other site. Here's a help page on collecting photos - http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93310.

I believe there were at least a few folks who customized a legacy smugmug site to be multi-lingual but as far as I know that solution required the use of JavaScript and that is not supported in new smugmug.

Interesting that some of the browsers supply translation. I looked at your site in Chrome and in IE - if I right click on the page in either of those browsers I am offered the option to translate the page. I did find a couple of free translator widgets on the web but they all required JavaScript support.

--- Denise
  • photoclickphotoclick Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2015
    You could duplicate your existing site with pages that will be in English and have language links on every page so visitors can switch. Your urls will be like this:
    ww.yvonarchambault.com and www.yvonarchambault.com/eng

http://www.yvonarchambault.com/Portrait2/Portrait/ and http://www.yvonarchambault.com/Portrait2/Portrait/eng

http://www.yvonarchambault.com/Environnement/Architecture/ and http://www.yvonarchambault.com/Environnement/Architecture/eng

and so on ...

Not the best solution, certainly not the elegant one. Requires a lot of maintenance. But will save you extra money for a different site.
    edited February 13, 2015
    Thank you Denise, I did not know about this way of collecting photos. I will take a look at that.
    edited February 13, 2015
    Thanks photo click... could the homepage be duplicated, one in french, one in english? (Logo and menu would be translated)
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2015
    You can only have one homepage (site landing page) but you could use it as an "enter site" page with links to either language.

Create two top folders, one for each language, so each has its own tree for galleries.
    Add all your photos to one tree and in the other tree collect photos for each "dup" gallery.
    Info pages like bio would need to be created in each tree using that language.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited February 13, 2015
    Thanks Allen, good idea.

But the Logo and Menu can only be in one language, right?
    edited February 13, 2015
    Thanks Allen, good idea.

But the Logo and Menu can only be in one language, right?
    Add two logos and two menus site wide. Another generic one for only homepage.
    Hide both on homepage. Show generic one on homepage.

The logos and menus will have specific widget class names for each.
    Using the new "flow down" CSS you can define at the two top level folders which logo and menu to
    show for all below.

I've changed banners/logos for a bunch of folders to flow down on my site. Here's the one that applies to my Bird category/folder changing "site wide" to specific. Top folder and everything below it.
      /* birds folder */
    .sm-page-node-Qm7v4 .sm-page-widget-5028039 .sm-image, 
    .sm-page-parentnode-Qm7v4 .sm-page-widget-5028039 .sm-image {display: none;}
    .sm-page-node-Qm7v4 .sm-page-widget-5027770 .sm-image, 
    .sm-page-parentnode-Qm7v4 .sm-page-widget-5027770 .sm-image {display: block;}

edited February 13, 2015
    Allen, that sounds amazing, and it looks like this would give me a bilingual site with only one account! I am not familiar with the flow down CSS, are there any examples I could follow to do what you suggested?
    edited February 13, 2015
    Allen, that sounds amazing, and it looks like this would give me a bilingual site with only one account! I am not familiar with the flow down CSS, are there any examples I could follow to do what you suggested?
    Edited my last post to show example. Takes two removes, top folder and flow down. Two adds, top folder and flow down.

.sm-page-node-Qm7v4 <<< top folder
    .sm-page-parentnode-Qm7v4 <<< apply to all below top folder
    edited February 13, 2015
    OK I will give this a try... but it sounds a little challenging given my limited CSS skills...

Thanks Allen, I will let you know how it goes...
    edited February 13, 2015
    edited February 15, 2015
    Hum... I'm missing some basic knowledge to implement this...

where do I get the FOLDER_ID, NODEID, etc?

How do I hide an item?
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2015

How do I hide an item?

Using one of the browser Web Developer Tools. I personally use 'Firebug' from Firefox.
    edited February 15, 2015

How do I hide an item?
    Depends on what browser you are using. Which one?
    edited February 15, 2015
    Allen wrote: »
    Depends on what browser you are using. Which one?

Safari
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited February 16, 2015
    Here is a working dual language single SM site. And what a photographer, too.

Seems to be mostly in english, and sparse in text, but it doesn't have to be. One splash page that can break off in more than one direction.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited February 17, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Here is a working dual language single SM site. And what a photographer, too.

Seems to be mostly in english, and sparse in text, but it doesn't have to be. One splash page that can break off in more than one direction.

I need to know how to do this!!!!
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited February 17, 2015
    I need to know how to do this!!!!
    I believe Allen's suggestions above will get you there.

--- Denise
  • oceanocean Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins

Don't know if this thread is still alive but maybe it can help some one else! My version of a multilingual site with smugmug.
    https://www.oisingormallyphotography.com
    Not sure if it's good for SEO as I know Google doesn't like duplicate content, so I added /EN or /FR to urls. Can't seem to make those lower case, not sure if that matters.. Any one en expert on SEO?

• Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2019

@ocean said:
    Don't know if this thread is still alive but maybe it can help some one else! My version of a multilingual site with smugmug.
    https://www.oisingormallyphotography.com
    Not sure if it's good for SEO as I know Google doesn't like duplicate content, so I added /EN or /FR to urls. Can't seem to make those lower case, not sure if that matters.. Any one en expert on SEO?

Not an SEO expert, but I know a little about it. I would include a hreflang attribute on your a tag (https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/189077?hl=en). While you can't add them in the <head> section, you can at least add them to the <a> tags.

As an example. This targets French speakers in France: <a href="https://www.oisingormallyphotography.com/" hreflang="fr-fr">Français</a>. This will target English speaking visitors: <a href="https://www.oisingormallyphotography.com/Homepage/Portfolio-En/" hreflang="en">English</a>

You will need to use a Custom Link instead of the automatic links in the Menu.

Don't worry about the uppercase links. Nothing you can do about it and it won't effect your ranking.