Options

17 inch notebook recommendation for editing and presentation

haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited November 9, 2015 in Digital Darkroom
Hi!

I need a 17 windows laptop which I would like to use for client presentations (wedding photography) and editing.

Until recently, I had a 17 macbook pro but I would like to move away from mac.

I wild like to have something presentable. I don't really want to have a gaming laptop because it is just too futuristic looking. I liked the clean look of my old macbook pro.

Do you have anything you can recommend?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,795 moderator
    edited October 19, 2015
    I moved this to the "Digital Darkroom" forum, which seems the most appropriate.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,912 moderator
    edited October 20, 2015
    17" notebooks are getting harder to find these days, though I think Dell and Asus are still making them. Maybe others, dunno. I'd suggest you consider a tablet for presentation. It has the advantage that it can be easily rotated for viewing portrait orientation pics, which tend to look a little pathetic on the typical wide-screen format. If you are interested in Windows, I'd check out the Microsoft Surface line--the high end models are powerful enough for editing, though they carry a price to match.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2015
    I have a 17" HP ENVY dv7 that works well at home but I would not recommend it for client presentation as it has a very shiny and reflective screen. I would suggest you look for a flat screen model.

Don't make the same mistake I did.
  • Options
    Eldon SheaEldon Shea Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2015
    Check out MSI gaming computers. I just got a 17" laptop. The case is all black, nothing really futuristic except for color backlighting of the keyboard. It is, however, big and heavy. Mine usually stays on my desk where weight is not an issue, but it would be chore to carry around all day in a briefcase or backpack.

With a dedicated graphics card with memory, 16gig RAM and both solid state and spinning internal drives it was about $1100 on Amazon. A gaming computer will give you the fast graphics you want and the solid state drive makes it better. It takes about 20 seconds to go from "off" to editing photos in Lightroom and all Lightroom actions are super fast. Time is my most valuable commodity, so I appreciate the huge improvement over my regular I-7 quad core business laptop. The monitor on the MSI looks like it should be great, but the color varies a lot from my external monitor. I haven't had time to calibrate it yet. Good luck! Bryan
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,795 moderator
    edited November 9, 2015
    lfortier wrote: »
    I have a 17" HP ENVY dv7 that works well at home but I would not recommend it for client presentation as it has a very shiny and reflective screen. I would suggest you look for a flat screen model.

Don't make the same mistake I did.

You might try a matte finish screen protector to see if that reduces the reflections and glare from ambient light sources. It will also reduce the pixel clarity somewhat, but so does a matte screen display.

The following link might give pretty good results if you choose the 35% MXF film type (e-mail them first to see if this is the best fit for your particular laptop sales@photodon.com):

http://www.photodon.com/p/5295-01.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums