Little League

BackwardHatBackwardHat Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited June 16, 2016 in Sports
Have been a lurker here for some time. I've been the "official" team photographer for three years now, and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. This is my son Kyle, getting an out at 3rd.

Comments

• BackwardHatBackwardHat Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 13, 2016
    I've found that if you show up with a big lens and act official, nobody questions you squatting next to the dugout inside the fence line. That said, I nearly took a foul ball to the face later in this game.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2016
    You need to get low in order to make the young players look like big leaguers. Sit or kneel. Never stand.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2016
    Yep, getting low is often the way to go (imo) for many subjects.

I haven't the slightest interest in shooting sports, but on the very few occasions I've been in the vicinity of same (and s*d all w/life potential), I've used my typical pov - get as low as possible to ground or water.

dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=227094&highlight=cheap+crown

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=226477&highlight=cricket

pp
  • WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2016
    A good start, as Jack and Paul have stated, get low... for this age group, it's best to sit on your bum... I even hunch over while on the ground to get as low of a POV as I can get... the second looks like you at least took a knee.... but also that you may have used a SS of around 1/1250...? I like to be at a minimum of 1/1600 if not higher, you'll want to get used to using that SS especially as your son gets older and faster.... Use as long of a lens as you have... 200-300mm (equiv.) with as fast as you can get... I use the equiv. of an 80-300 at f2.8.... You can view my site for the 2016 HGSA images... I'm currently shooting 31 teams from U-8 through U-18. Move around some... from the dugout doors to the ends of the baselines.... As Jack taught me.. get the swing through's, try for the ball on bats, get slides into bases and the general smiles and mayhem of the dugout... the high fives for good plays make for memorable shots.

Keep posting, there are quite a few 'togs here that can help if needed.

Lee
    Lee Wiren