Filter within a gallery by tag/keyword?

deldridgdeldridg Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited June 21, 2016 in SmugMug Support
Hello from Sydney, Australia!

I've used Smugmug for years but in a very non-sophisticated way I'm afraid. After searching the forum for some time, I've not found answer to the following gallery filtering question.

Over the next 3 days I will be photographing an art event at my son's school. It will be covering 19 classes over 7 years and will be taking roughly 500 shots.

I would love to direct people to my (password protected) gallery and be able to easily filter to either a year, or to a class (within a year) but only within that gallery. So to see my boy's artwork, I would search for "1A" and only the 1A images would appear. Likewise "Y1" for all year 1 pics to show.

Sounds uber-basic but I'm afraid I haven't worked out how to do this within the gallery thus far. Surely this is what everyone needs and no doubt it'll be gob-smackingly simple... :scratch

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :clap

Regards and thank you,
David

Comments

• pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2016
    deldridg wrote: »
    Hello from Sydney, Australia!

I've used Smugmug for years but in a very non-sophisticated way I'm afraid. After searching the forum for some time, I've not found answer to the following gallery filtering question.

Over the next 3 days I will be photographing an art event at my son's school. It will be covering 19 classes over 7 years and will be taking roughly 500 shots.

I would love to direct people to my (password protected) gallery and be able to easily filter to either a year, or to a class (within a year) but only within that gallery. So to see my boy's artwork, I would search for "1A" and only the 1A images would appear. Likewise "Y1" for all year 1 pics to show.

Sounds uber-basic but I'm afraid I haven't worked out how to do this within the gallery thus far. Surely this is what everyone needs and no doubt it'll be gob-smackingly simple... headscratch.gif

Any help will be greatly appreciated! clap.gif

Regards and thank you,
    David

If you're willing to give up the password protection and make it public, it's easy. Otherwise I don't think it's possible.

If you add a keyword content block to a public gallery and set its scope to current location, it'll only show keywords associated with the photos in that gallery. Clicking on one will bring you to a keyword results page that only includes photos from that gallery... Basically filtering the gallery by keyword.

Unfortunately smugmug doesn't tell your visitors that the keyword results only come from that one gallery, so it can be a little confusing.

Dave
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,234 moderator
    edited June 21, 2016
    Another option would be to create a series of galleries based on the gallery containing all of the photos where each of the other galleries is defined with smart rules based on one or more keywords.

To add the rules, from gallery settings, click Smart Rules.

I haven't experimented with this using password-protected galleries.

--- Denise
  • deldridgdeldridg Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 21, 2016
    Hello Dave and Denise,

thank you for making the time to reply.

I have to say I'm at a complete loss to understand how what appears to be such a comprehensive service, will collect keywords but won't allow them to be used as filters within a gallery. As a developer, my understanding is that it must surely be a simple thing to do (tags?) and I would be in disbelief if I was the only person wanting such an option! (It's early morning here in Sydney and I've just woken up, so am a bit cranky... hehe).

As for my project, I have to be as secure as I can be being school kids and this is why I've chosen to use Smugmug this time. Perhaps I'll have to investigate other options.

In the meantime I will try to do something with Smart Galleries... fingers crossed!

Many thanks and cheers,
    David
  • deldridgdeldridg Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 21, 2016
    Hi again Denise and thank you for reminding me of the smart filter option. Looks like that will work and fingers crossed it will go smoothly!

Clearly the ability to filter by keywords/tags on the fly and contained to the current gallery would be by far the friendliest option. It's 2016 after all... :-)

Cheers and thank you,
    David