Options

Sunset - a Time Lapse

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited August 13, 2011 in Video
Shot with a Canon 350D and EFs10-22 lens at f/8, iso 100, Av mode at 5 second intervals. Accidentally left a ND filter on but it worked in my favor in the end.

<object width=640 height=360><param name="movie" value="http://www.orenphotography.com/ria/ShizVidz-2011030702.swf&quot; /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=aT0xNDIyMjk5OTU1Jms9eFZWOVA3bSZhPTE4MzMzNDIyX252NTNmWiZ1PWVvcmVuMQ==" /><embed src="http://www.orenphotography.com/ria/ShizVidz-2011030702.swf&quot; flashVars="s=aT0xNDIyMjk5OTU1Jms9eFZWOVA3bSZhPTE4MzMzNDIyX252NTNmWiZ1PWVvcmVuMQ==" width=640 height=360 type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>

Comments

• Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    Try adding some type of motion blur to either all the files in LR or by using a plugin with vid editing software. This seems to help smooth out the herky jerky in the moving objects.
    It might look good to use the gradient tool in LR to select the lower half of the frame, then move the clarity slider left. This might soften/smooth things out just enough?

You are definitely on a roll :)
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    Thanks Marc. Really appreciate it.
    I had tried painting a -100 clarity on an earlier one that didn't work. this one had a slightly longer shutter speed that might respond better to that move.
    I've been trying to understand what Adobe After Effects can do. Would it easily smooth out the water?
    Also, if you don't mind answering a few more. When getting the stills prepped for time lapse, do you leave contrast as linear (in LR/ACR)? Do you sharpen at all?
    Thanks again
    Eyal
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2011
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Thanks Marc. Really appreciate it.
    I had tried painting a -100 clarity on an earlier one that didn't work. this one had a slightly longer shutter speed that might respond better to that move.
    I've been trying to understand what Adobe After Effects can do. Would it easily smooth out the water?
    Also, if you don't mind answering a few more. When getting the stills prepped for time lapse, do you leave contrast as linear (in LR/ACR)? Do you sharpen at all?
    Thanks again
    Eyal

After Effects does quite a bit, but simply renders the sequence and allows for some processing similar to what your doing with the LRdeflicker, only much better. I too tried that program and the DBdeflicker plugin for AE is much better. There are also built in filters to apply that add lens blur and other tricks of which I am only beginning to play with. Also, there is no reason to export any files from LR, as you simply drag and drop a folder containing all your RAW files from a given TL into the program interface and it takes the XMP file from the very first file and reads all the following files just the same.

If your not using AE, anything you can do in LR/ACR will help. FCPX has some very handy new filters for changing the look and feel of the clip/TL but that only works if your using FCPX.

Since I use the Develop setting of "TONE CURVE - FLAT" for absolutely everything I import into LR, this would be my recommendation for your TL files as well. I also have read and proven that sharpness is not the way us still photogs like it. With video, everything moving looks better slightly blurred. This means from what I understand so far, adding motion blur to the process really helps. The closest you can get in LR is to add a blur of some kind and it does not have to be globally.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2011
    Excellent as usual Eyal. I just got my intervalometer yesterday and I haven't had clouds like that yet!
    A cool effect might be to leave it on manual exposure, then let it get dark.