Options

ND filters essential for DSLR video

THX1965THX1965 Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
edited March 15, 2011 in Video
I am actually more of a film/video guy than a photographer, so I thought I'd add something to the discussion here.

I just got a 7D and I am already in love with that beautiful camera. I also own a regular Canon video camera if I want to shoot in auto mode. I am planning on using the 7D for more creative video experiments, where manual control won't get in the way.

Filming with any of these DSLR's has actually a lot more in common with an old-fashioned 35mm movie camera than with any video camcorder. Movie cameras don't have autofocus, everything has to be set manually and since you really shouldn't and can't control your exposure with shutter speed, your best friend are ND filters for DOF control.

I just ordered one of these variable ND filters, which I have heard great things about. http://lightcraftworkshop.com/site/page1000.aspx

I was thinking about getting individual ND ones, but I don't think that screwing various filters on an off out in the field is very practical when you're shooting people for example. With the ND fader I can set my shutter speed (to 1/60), set my ISO and my aperture to get a certain DOF effect and then I simply play with the ND fader until the exposure is right. It sounds perfect.

Has any of you ever used one these variable ND's? There is also this brand http://www.singh-ray.com/varind.html - but it costs a lot more and I don't think it's worth the extra money.

The one I ordered won't ship until later this month (77mm is on backorder), but it sounds like an essential tool for shooting video with any DSLR that allows for manual control.

I am curious to hear your thoughts on this.

--- Markus ---

Comments

• Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    THX1965 wrote:
    Has any of you ever used one these variable ND's? There is also this brand http://www.singh-ray.com/varind.html - but it costs a lot more and I don't think it's worth the extra money.

Great point!
    I own the Sing-ray and it might just come off the shelf nowwings.gif
    It did not occur to me that it could be used this way and the funny thing is, I was just speaking with someone about how ridiculous it would be to carry multiple NDs out into the field with all the other crap I have and then spend the time screwing them on and off for each shot. I can not tell you how many gray hairs I have from crossing threads in the field when the light is righteek7.gif

The Singh-ray maxes out around 7 stops! What happens after that is odd, colors change in diff regions of the image and at diff times, due to diff light. However, for the first 7 stops YEH!

Such a great idea:ivar
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    Great point!
    I own the Sing-ray and it might just come off the shelf nowwings.gif
    It did not occur to me that it could be used this way and the funny thing is, I was just speaking with someone about how ridiculous it would be to carry multiple NDs out into the field with all the other crap I have and then spend the time screwing them on and off for each shot. I can not tell you how many gray hairs I have from crossing threads in the field when the light is righteek7.gif

The Singh-ray maxes out around 7 stops! What happens after that is odd, colors change in diff regions of the image and at diff times, due to diff light. However, for the first 7 stops YEH!

Such a great idea:ivar

I am glad I could be of help! mwink.gif

And thank's for the tip with the 7 stops. I'll keep that in mind when mine arrives.
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    THX1965 wrote:
    I am glad I could be of help! mwink.gif

And thank's for the tip with the 7 stops. I'll keep that in mind when mine arrives.

Just checked again, actually 6 stops!

And I am really upset:cry It appears the filter diminishes sharpness beyond use. I made a few tests at diff apertures and the ironic part is the smaller the aperture the sharper. Good luck on the other one and please post what you find.
  • Options
    ViktorViktor Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 1, 2011
    What you propose for Snowaction?
    Just checked again, actually 6 stops!

And I am really upset:cry It appears the filter diminishes sharpness beyond use. I made a few tests at diff apertures and the ironic part is the smaller the aperture the sharper. Good luck on the other one and please post what you find.

Hi there,
    Finally I found some clear informations about the ND Filterswings.gif
    We filmed last week Ski/Snowboard with 50-500mm from Sigma with canon d7.... and I didn't realize to use ND Filters....rolleyes1.gif No sharpness at all.
    If you say the sharpness get lost as higher the ND filter is how should I handle that in the snow?!?! There are the brightest condition you can have.
    Do you know a better product or would you just turn the ISO to the minimum, the shutter up to approx. 500... and so on?
    Please let me know some ideas.
    Thanks from Switzerland
    You can find some videos from last year on our website: www.kickthevik.com
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2011
    Viktor wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Finally I found some clear informations about the ND Filterswings.gif
    We filmed last week Ski/Snowboard with 50-500mm from Sigma with canon d7.... and I didn't realize to use ND Filters....rolleyes1.gif No sharpness at all.
    If you say the sharpness get lost as higher the ND filter is how should I handle that in the snow?!?! There are the brightest condition you can have.
    Do you know a better product or would you just turn the ISO to the minimum, the shutter up to approx. 500... and so on?
    Please let me know some ideas.
    Thanks from Switzerland
    You can find some videos from last year on our website: www.kickthevik.com

Actually, the best ND filters for digital filmmaking are these specialty ones by Tiffen: http://www.tiffen.com/irnd_intro_poster.html
    They only come in the size of 77mm. So just use a step down ring.

While the various Fader ND filters introduce quite a few problems the more you close them (loss of sharpness and color shifts), these Tiffen ND filters are super sharp and absolutely color neutral with digital cameras. If you shoot in snow, you're actually in a very controlled environment. You pretty much know what to expect in terms of light intensity. So you might only need one single filter or two maximum that allow you to use your desired f-stop at a shutter speed of 1/50 or 1/60 in bright winter sunlight. I'd keep it simple up there on the slopes.

I don't know if they're also available in Europe, but I got mine from this place: http://www.2filter.com/faq/tiffen/tiffenirndcamerafilters.html They might also ship to Switzerland.

Good luck.

Markus
  • Options
    AetherfuryAetherfury Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 15, 2011
    Honestly imo you should skip the ND filters for video entirely unless you absolutely require a certain shutter speed.

Unlike still photography, in video using a faster shutter speed (Within reason) doesn't harm and in most cases improves unless you are filming something like a computer monitor or gauge cluster of a car etc.

I can shoot at f/2.0 in full sun at 1/500th of a second iso100 and it comes out great.

Also- faster shutter speeds are beneficial for super slow motion.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2011
    Aetherfury wrote: »
    Honestly imo you should skip the ND filters for video entirely unless you absolutely require a certain shutter speed.

Unlike still photography, in video using a faster shutter speed (Within reason) doesn't harm and in most cases improves unless you are filming something like a computer monitor or gauge cluster of a car etc.

I can shoot at f/2.0 in full sun at 1/500th of a second iso100 and it comes out great.

Also- faster shutter speeds are beneficial for super slow motion.

For slo-mo, yes, a faster shutter speed will give you sharper movement when slowed down. But for anything else, any movement (of people and the camera) willl look choppy and artificial. Now, since all consumer camcorders are doing this (to get around ND filters in bright sun light), you could say that's the way (consumer) video looks. But the goal of this thread was to emulate the look motion picutre film and they don't touch the shutter speed unless they want to go for a specific effect (like the fast shutter speed opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan, for example.)
  • Options
    AetherfuryAetherfury Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 15, 2011
    THX1965 wrote: »
    For slo-mo, yes, a faster shutter speed will give you sharper movement when slowed down. But for anything else, any movement (of people and the camera) willl look choppy and artificial. Now, since all consumer camcorders are doing this (to get around ND filters in bright sun light), you could say that's the way (consumer) video looks. But the goal of this thread was to emulate the look motion picutre film and they don't touch the shutter speed unless they want to go for a specific effect (like the fast shutter speed opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan, for example.)

Ahhh yeah and I forgot a lot of people shoot in 24p too. When I do that I usually use a slow shutter speed. I didn't realize that was the goal of the thread, I thought it was just more about use of ND filters.

I do think you can get movie like effects with fast shutter speeds though. This video I did of my car a while ago was shot ALL with fast shutter speeds 1/500th and up (even some at 1/2000th) and I don't feel like it looks like consumer video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7U0tW7SVXA
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2011
    Aetherfury wrote: »
    Ahhh yeah and I forgot a lot of people shoot in 24p too. When I do that I usually use a slow shutter speed. I didn't realize that was the goal of the thread, I thought it was just more about use of ND filters.

I do think you can get movie like effects with fast shutter speeds though. This video I did of my car a while ago was shot ALL with fast shutter speeds 1/500th and up (even some at 1/2000th) and I don't feel like it looks like consumer video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7U0tW7SVXA

Your subject matter - a car - was very "technical", so a faster shutter speed almost enhanced the nature of the picture. It's an artistic tool.

All of the action scenes for the movie "Gamer" for example were shot with a very fast shutter speed. They achieved these super crisp, almost staccato looking action shots (in combination with the use of long lenses). Very stylized. As I said - it's a tool. A romantic scene shot with a fast shutter speed, would not work as well...