Options

7D video focusing?

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited February 18, 2011 in Video
I really want to get the hang of using the video feature on my 7D, but at this point, it's making me feel pretty dumb! It boils down to this...how do I focus while using video?!?! I'm just not getting this basic thing. Help?!
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,811 moderator
    edited December 27, 2010
    Elaine wrote: »
    ...how do I focus while using video?!?! I'm just not getting this basic thing. Help?!

I don't believe that the Canon 7D allows for automated focus "during" video acquisition. I believe that focus automation is only available "before" you begin recording. In that regard you can choose "Contrast Detect" mode in Live View or Quick-AF which uses Phase-Detect autofocus and lowers the mirror during the process of focus acquisition.

Manual focus may be done during video recording, of course, assuming that the lens in question has a manual focus capability.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2010
    I believe the only DSLR that autofocuses during video is the new Nikon D7000. In a couple of years video autofocus may spread across all major brands, but for our 7Ds we can only manual focus during video, and that is a major pain to get right. You almost have to be like a professional filmmaker and rehearse your focus stops, which is an everyday routine for them. Those who are serious purchase rigs and gadgets that make marking and pulling focus easier, like this thing.

Or you can create as much depth of field as you can for your video shoot by going wide angle and stopping down as much as you can, to give you more margin when manual focusing.

In the end, you are not asking a dumb question...because we all have to deal with manual video focusing for now.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2010
    Thank you, both! At least this confirms what I thought must be the case. I've actually been able to use autofocus during video (1/2 press shutter), but it just looks and sounds terrible until it acquires focus! eek7.gif I'll just need more practice with the manual focus now.
    Elaine

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2010
    Elaine wrote: »
    Thank you, both! At least this confirms what I thought must be the case. I've actually been able to use autofocus during video (1/2 press shutter), but it just looks and sounds terrible until it acquires focus!

Good point, there is 7D autofocus during video, but it's the still-oriented "hunt widely until lock," not as smooth as on a real video camera. Nikon makes a distinction between this by calling theirs "full time autofocus" during video. And I think I was wrong about the model, it's the Nikon D3100. Anyway, let's hope that comes to Canon soon, they've got to be feeling the heat on this issue as it is a definite competitive advantage for Nikon's DSLR video.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    colourbox wrote: »
    Good point, there is 7D autofocus during video, but it's the still-oriented "hunt widely until lock," not as smooth as on a real video camera. Nikon makes a distinction between this by calling theirs "full time autofocus" during video. And I think I was wrong about the model, it's the Nikon D3100. Anyway, let's hope that comes to Canon soon, they've got to be feeling the heat on this issue as it is a definite competitive advantage for Nikon's DSLR video.

They prob are. And prob will find Af in future releases.

But Elaine, Manual Focus is a part of daily life for film makers. I know I am thankful for Live View!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2010
    angevin1 wrote: »
    They prob are. And prob will find Af in future releases.

But Elaine, Manual Focus is a part of daily life for film makers. I know I am thankful for Live View!

This is a whole new area for me to learn about: one that I wouldn't even be thinking about but for the cool technology in my camera. It's always great to have more to learn!
    Elaine

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 31, 2010
    Colourbox,

My Lumix GF1 will AF in video, and I am pretty sure the GH2 will, as well....

A video camera with a 200-600 ( 35mm equivalent focal length ) f5.6 lens that will AF is pretty neat too.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011
    I manually tweak the focus but I'm using a 500L+1.4x or 2x and with the
    slightest touch live-view bounces all over the place. Even starting and stopping
    induces bounce, let alone trying to focus. Sure wish I could do this all with a remote.
    Anyway, these are not portraits and more wide angle so focus doesn't have to be right on.
    Example
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    Anti_uAnti_u Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    Sony Alpha 33 and 55 will AF in video