Options

Quickest way to get 7D clip on Disk.

GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
edited January 18, 2011 in Video
I'm trying to work out the quickest way I can get a clip from my 7D onto DVD so it can be played on a regular home DVD player.
I do a lot of events and want to be able to drop the footage into a disk and hand it to the client ASAP.

What is the best and fastest way to do this procedure and software wise?

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    Glort wrote: »
    I'm trying to work out the quickest way I can get a clip from my 7D onto DVD so it can be played on a regular home DVD player.
    I do a lot of events and want to be able to drop the footage into a disk and hand it to the client ASAP.

What is the best and fastest way to do this procedure and software wise?

PC or MAC?
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2010
    PC.

Is that the dark side or is it the other way round?

:D
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2010
    PC.

Is that the dark side or is it the other way round?

:D

PC? All good!

Why not use Windows Movie Maker? I have used it once and it was very easy!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2011
    Any other programs people have used for a drag and drop soloution.
    The movie maker seems very slow on my machine for some reason.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2011
    Any other programs people have used for a drag and drop soloution.
    The movie maker seems very slow on my machine for some reason.

Glort a lot of these programs can chew up a bit of processing power.

When you say slow, how slow? Also what kind of spec's on your machine?
    tom wise
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,811 moderator
    edited January 9, 2011
    It appears that the Canon 7D can record video in a number of different video formats and standards. Australia appears to use the PAL standard for video but I also read that Australian DVD players can play both PAL and NTSC video DVDs. Unfortunately you appear to need an NTSC monitor to see colors for an NTSC DVD. I suggest staying with the PAL standards

If all of that is true I do believe that the best format and standard for you to acquire in for a standard Australian DVD is 640 x 480 (50 fps). This should be the closest to the PAL DVD standard of 720 x 576 at 50 fps.

Please try this acquisition size and see if that doesn't speed up your conversion considerably.

Otherwise, if you want the very fastest conversion, shoot in the 640 x 480 (50 fps) resolution that I recommended and then use software to place that into a video frame of size 720 x 576 with a "letterboxed" insert of 640 x 480 video. Since the original video doesn't have to be interpolated this should be much faster to accomplish the conversion and subsequent burning of the video.

I honestly don't know what software might work to do the PAL letterboxing, since I only have to deal with NTSC video formats and standards, but you might see if "Super" can work for you to get the video stream into the right size:

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Then just use a basic burner software to make your DVD.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2011
    Thanks Ziggy.

Your point of shooting at the lower res makes a lot of sence as I imagine a lot of the HD res is thrown away effectively anyway.

I will try that and see how I go. I have been turning the still res down already for some events I do because we never get requests to print anything over A4 anyway and the larger file sizes just slows everything down.

Makes perfect sense to do wth same with the Video.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Glort a lot of these programs can chew up a bit of processing power.

When you say slow, how slow? Also what kind of spec's on your machine?

From memory, when I tried Movie maker it was taking over 7 min to convert a 3 min vid file. Then I had to burn it to the DVD itself. all up was close to 10 min which was way too much for what I want.
    When we do events we get slammed the last hour and even if i dedicate a machine strictly to vid editing, that's still way too long to tie up a machine.

The computer I'm using is a dual Quad core ( 2.4 I think?) with 4 g of ram running 7. I just put a big ass video card in it for video editing which made a big difference to the &D vid although one I transfered off A tape HD cam played fine.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2011
    From memory, when I tried Movie maker it was taking over 7 min to convert a 3 min vid file. Then I had to burn it to the DVD itself. all up was close to 10 min which was way too much for what I want.

Man! That is moving on! You think that's slow, but I have to tell ya...it aint!

Fortunately Ziggy53 already figured out what you needed without having to do as I did and ask more questions. You def. Need to downsize your rez. if at all possible to convert faster. Still, some programs are inherently slow-ish.

I will throw this out there to ya though. Not sure about the Dual Quad-core I suspect you mean either a core2duo or a Quad core, unless of course you're running two Xeon processors. But the point I'm attempting to get to is RAM. You need LOTS of RAM to squirt out video in any program. RAM trumps video cards. For instance I have a NVIDIA QuadroFX3800, a $1k card, and it barely sees 6% usage during Video rendering. I know because I monitor all my hardware when doing so.

Cheers,
    tom wise
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2011
    RAM trumps video cards. For instance I have a NVIDIA QuadroFX3800, a $1k card, and it barely sees 6% usage during Video rendering. I know because I monitor all my hardware when doing so.

It depends on what software you're using. If Premiere Pro was being used, for instance, the QuadroFX3800 is one of the few video cards certified for GPU acceleration with that software. In addition to radically speeding up processing, they say the CPU usage can actually drop because the very powerful GPU doesn't leave much for the CPU to do.

Watch the demo videos at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/adobe_PremiereproCS5.html
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2011
    colourbox wrote: »
    It depends on what software you're using. If Premiere Pro was being used, for instance, the QuadroFX3800 is one of the few video cards certified for GPU acceleration with that software. In addition to radically speeding up processing, they say the CPU usage can actually drop because the very powerful GPU doesn't leave much for the CPU to do.

Watch the demo videos at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/adobe_PremiereproCS5.html

Totally agree with you...and I totally bought into what I like to affectionately call NVIDIA's Marketing-Hyperbole! That being said, as I mentioned before I do have the FX 3800 with the elemental accelerator And as I render and watch all meters on CPU via OCCT, CPUID, and EVGA my CPU cores will steam at a nice 100% or near it and the GPU tends to run 6% or less. It hasn't worked since day one. The card is fine, works as designed and all...just the more I read, the more it all becomes clear that these cards were meant to run in tandem and with XEON processors to perform to spec's. I could go on and on with minutiae that would inevitably bore you to death...but that is the overall deal~

Apologies to you Glort for hijacking your thread on rendering!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2011
    Not a problem!
    It's all relevant information that adds to the learning curve and helps sort the chaff from the facts.

The machine I have does have 2 Processors.
    It's not the newest machine either, about 3 years old I think so I never thought it would be fast. I does have plenty of ram slots however, 8 in all I think and I'm only using 2 so plenty to go. the vid card was way less than $1K though! That must be some kind of card!!!

Just to get into more new territory and get the knowledgeable peoples info, I also have a server that runs 4x 1.6? Xenons and a biblical amount of ram.
    I may be very wrong but from what I can figure this thing has 4 channels of ram @ 4G ea with another set as backup.

Given this thing has at least 16G of ram, would this thing be good for vid editing? At present it runs 2003 but I could put server 2008 or win 7 on it.
    Vid card I think would be ahard to upgrade and it would only have a small one in it but if that isn't important..... Would it be a worthwhile Vid editor.

I know as littel about servers as I do Vid transfer at this stage so sorry if its a laughable question.
    The server is a Dell 6600 and has 2 sets of 10K SCSI Hdds of about 280G capacity each. ( Plus some more as backup or something I haven't been able to access)
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2011
    ...as I mentioned before I do have the FX 3800 with the elemental accelerator And as I render and watch all meters on CPU via OCCT, CPUID, and EVGA my CPU cores will steam at a nice 100% or near it and the GPU tends to run 6% or less. It hasn't worked since day one...

Which software were you editing video with? You mentioned Windows MovieMaker, was there another?
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2011
    colourbox wrote: »
    Which software were you editing video with? You mentioned Windows MovieMaker, was there another?

Yes, thanks for asking. Windows Movie maker I only used once or twice long before I built my new workstation. Since then I use premiere pro and After-Effects. While busy discussing this issue here, I realized my elemental H264 is missing from the menu in Premiere. I need to go and figure out where it went. I am actually totally happy with the way my machine grinds thru the rendering process of 1080p movies being rendered outta AE. And in PP with H264, I have no complaints. But as you said, the elemental H264 should be faster. So now to go find it!

thanks~
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2011
    Not a problem!
    It's all relevant information that adds to the learning curve and helps sort the chaff from the facts.

The machine I have does have 2 Processors.
    It's not the newest machine either, about 3 years old I think so I never thought it would be fast. I does have plenty of ram slots however, 8 in all I think and I'm only using 2 so plenty to go. the vid card was way less than $1K though! That must be some kind of card!!!

Just to get into more new territory and get the knowledgeable peoples info, I also have a server that runs 4x 1.6? Xenons and a biblical amount of ram.
    I may be very wrong but from what I can figure this thing has 4 channels of ram @ 4G ea with another set as backup.

Given this thing has at least 16G of ram, would this thing be good for vid editing? At present it runs 2003 but I could put server 2008 or win 7 on it.
    Vid card I think would be ahard to upgrade and it would only have a small one in it but if that isn't important..... Would it be a worthwhile Vid editor.

I know as littel about servers as I do Vid transfer at this stage so sorry if its a laughable question.
    The server is a Dell 6600 and has 2 sets of 10K SCSI Hdds of about 280G capacity each. ( Plus some more as backup or something I haven't been able to access)

Well Glort, you're way beyond me here. But with your first machine and two CPU"s and 8 slots. You fill that up with 4GB RAM and you'll have a rendering monster I would think. But it is only a guess because you haven't laid out all the spec's for it here.

On the 4 Xeon. That is something I've not heard of. I've heard of 2 CPU's on a MOBO, but not 4. So I don't know. If it were a 2 cpu xeon and at 1.6 GHTZ, I'd say pass. The CPU speed does need to be up a bit to be competitive with simple corei7 900 series chips. In fact my 930 smokes many dual Xeon's in the lower tier. That based on running benchmarks.
    tom wise
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    I have Photodex ProShow Gold... it's slideshow software but it will do videos. It has nice transition effects, custom menus, that sort of stuff. It's $70 (that's what I paid for it). If you wanna pay $200+ you can get ProShow Producer, which is supposed to be the "Professional" version, but I find Gold just fine. I don't do videos but maybe you should give it a try. You can burn to DVD, Bluray, exe file, mpeg/avi, etc. It does ISO files (which I always do because of the program's instability when writing to DVDs). Download the free trial; then if you want to buy it just buy a code from them and enter it.

http://www.photodex.com/products/proshow/gold
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2011
    Hi Tom,

I'm new to servers but they are an entirely different beast to desktop PC's.
    I have another server I have been setting up today to run my event workstations and that has 4x 2.2 Xenon processors and 8 of ram.

These servers are built like brick Chithouses and everything has a redundancy ( 3x power supplies, 10 Hdds, backup memory and hdd's raided, double cooling fans, 4 pair of 2, 3 igabit network cards plus on port on the MOBO itself....) or backup and they are built like no tomorrow.

I have another of these machines spare ( HP ML570 G2) which also has 4x 2.2 Xenons so I want to find out if the 2.2's can replace the 1.6's on my workstation machine?

I'm going to try server 2008 tomorrow and see what that is like in the image and video editing side.

I tried a test vid today at the lower res but a higher frame rate ( dunno the benifit of that yet, I assume better clarity) but haven't tried puting it on disk yet. Oddly enough in the 7D book I notice the date rate and run time using the lower res is the same as the Full HD.

Hope it renders and burns quicker!