Options

I think my new years resolution will be to learn about video

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited March 17, 2011 in Video
I have 2 cameras that do video and I think I have tried it 2 times ever. One of them might have been by accident. I am clueless about video. You could hand me a camcorder and I wouldn't know what to do with it. Nevermind a DSLR.

I have a customer who wants video. I am terrified of the problems it could cause me. So I suppose it is something I should practice. For this one, I think I will have to pass it up.

What are some tips for starting out with video? Shutter speed? What F stop to start with? Do you trust your histogram for basic exposure? Or is it a totally different deal? What is a good video editor?

:dunno

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,811 moderator
    edited January 21, 2011
    As with anything first we need to know what you want to accomplish and under what conditions will you have to shoot?

Will you be supplying your own lighting?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2011
    Just depends on what I am doing. I just need to learn about video period. I want to be able to do it if I need it.

The thing for my client is video for dance recitals. I shoot the stills for the recitals now. They are thinking they want to add video. These are usually at small auditoriums. Not sure I want to dive into it for this.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    Zerodog wrote: »
    Just depends on what I am doing. I just need to learn about video period. I want to be able to do it if I need it.

The thing for my client is video for dance recitals. I shoot the stills for the recitals now. They are thinking they want to add video. These are usually at small auditoriums. Not sure I want to dive into it for this.

Then really. Just like in your photography, get busy reading and/or discussing..and making movies, editing them, and don't forget the lighting you'll be investing in, and so on. There is no magic bullet of settings or anything. You're gonna have to dig a bit for Real answers! And the real answers are VERY camera-type dependent.

I like DVXuser: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forum.php

It really is just another investment of time and money and a learning curve to go along with it. And it can be hugely fun!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2011
    Wait wait, more $$$ and time? No way! It should be fun. mwink.gif

Are you guys messing with video? And if so, what are you doing with it?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,811 moderator
    edited January 22, 2011
    To get back to your original question there is no singular "video" definition. You need to consider your final destination when you decide how to acquire the video.

Many/most new video capable dSLRs have some sort of HD capability, but standard DVDs are much less resolution. Full 1080HD is around 6 times the content of a standard DVD and HD file formats are incompatible with many/most standard DVD players. Standard DVDs are either 4:3 aspect or "widescreen". HD1080i and HD1080p are 16:9 aspect.

Video has "frame rates" and typical rates are explained at this Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

There is also "interleaved" and "progressive" video.

Many times your acquisition video will not match the desired output/distribution format so you will have to convert and edit the video in order to get it into the desired format and content and duration.

While video can often be fun the reality is that if you do it for hire you need to consider all of the expectations of your client or you can easily disappoint the client as well as cause yourself undue work.

Nothing spoils good visuals worse than poor audio and many/most video capable dSLRs are not really equipped to do quality audio. Plan on at least an external microphone and potentially you may have to get an external mixer/preamp as well. Some dSLRs do not have manual gain controls so you may need to get a preamp designed to saturate one channel of the audio just so that you have some regulation of the other channel. A single channel of quality audio trumps poor quality stereo.

Just as in photography you will run into lighting challenges as well as location and position challenges. Planning ahead, testing and rehearsing are pretty good strategies to avoid surprises. For dance recitals their rehearsals are also your rehearsals.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2011
    Thanks Ziggy. Yeah I think for this client, I will need to pass up the video. She wants to add value to customers. But if the offering sucks, it just takes away the value of the part I am good at. I think the sound part will be a huge challenge. Just going with the mic on the camera will most likely sound like you are in a giant bathroom. All of this will also add sooooooooo much time to my processing that it probably will not pan out for $$.

In the end it is still something worth learning. I have seen a few really cool videos lately. And looking at the DOF, they most certainly came from a DSLR. Gotta see what the D3s will do in this dept. Should be interesting.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    Zerodog I just have to chime in since I had the same frantic questions when I started experimenting with video on my 5D. I learned that I was just overthinking everything.

You could be the kind of person who loves technology, gadgets and measurebating but I don't believe that one needs to invest a lot of $$$ into video to start. You already have the good camera and probably a decent lineup of lenses, so start with what you have. Editing can be done with many programs these days, possibly with a one you already own, and it should be enough to throw together clips and get the hang of it. Learn what settings work best for you to get the kind of look you want, make a couple of movies and learn from your mistakes.

Like with photography (and what Ziggy said), you can't really ask "what's the best shutter speed?" because there's no blanket answer to that. You'll have to see what works for you.

I'm no videographer but I've made a few movies I don't hate and seen lots of others that were put together with just the basics.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2011
    Did some video! Was shooting photos at a Ju-Jitsu seminar and tried it out some video with the D3s. Tried 1/50 f 5.6 and ISO 3200. The video is pretty amazing looking. I think in the past my shutter speed was always way too high. It was bright and pretty in focus. No idea why it was in focus?? Anyway I took about 30 clips. Some are killer some are not. I shake a lot..... I will have to post a clip. Gotta try loading one up on SM.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    Zerodog wrote: »
    Did some video! Was shooting photos at a Ju-Jitsu seminar and tried it out some video with the D3s. Tried 1/50 f 5.6 and ISO 3200. The video is pretty amazing looking. I think in the past my shutter speed was always way too high. It was bright and pretty in focus. No idea why it was in focus?? Anyway I took about 30 clips. Some are killer some are not. I shake a lot..... I will have to post a clip. Gotta try loading one up on SM.

Yeah, and link it back or post it here! I ended up with the 5DMk2 ( for video) due to the D3S cost. I have shot it at ISO3200 but it was in an uncontrolled situ regarding light and I was displeased. I think it was those 12.5k video's when the camera you have was announced that got to me most, and I had to Dump my ego and go with the more affordable Camera in the Canon.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2011
    Finally I processed a video. This one is out of the 300s. It is some solo snowboard action from today.
    http://theinfinitymachine.smugmug.com/Other/Videos/15903321_RXaoK#1192597531_ThzMi-L-LB

I need to put together a few clips of the D3s video I did. Now that I am a pro at Windows Movie Maker! It is not the most intuitive program.
  • Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    Zerdog: what was your workflow from your D300s to Window movie maker....did you have to convert before hand and what export settings did you use ?
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2011
    I don't think I did much of anything special to get to movie maker. I imported with LR3 then just grabbed the file in Movie Maker. I can't remember what my export settings were for it.

What do you think? I am going to try again this weekend with some friends. So I will have other people, and my POV too. Should be cool.