Options

5D MK2 Video Setup

oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited March 31, 2011 in Video
Hi everyone.
I dont know if i am on the right place here but does anyone have an idea what settings i need to use incamera using a 50mm 1.8 lens to do some video work?

Regards
Patrick.:D

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2011
    Hi everyone.
    I dont know if i am on the right place here but does anyone have an idea what settings i need to use incamera using a 50mm 1.8 lens to do some video work?

Regards
    Patrick.:D

I think a great place to start, is to always consult your manual first. After that, there are myriad forums on the Web that are all about the 5DMk2 video capabilities!
    tom wise
  • Options
    oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2011
    Thanks for your responce Angevin1 but unfortunatly i am the one who never looks at the manual and strikes out on his own. I never felt comfortable wading through the mind numming text of a manual. I know you are right but if i go down that road i will probable end up sleep walking.
    I was looking for some ideas on settings given a bright sunny day.

Thanks anyway

Regards
    Patrick
    zzzzzzzzz:deadhorse:D
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,811 moderator
    edited March 31, 2011
    Since this is a video question I moved it to our video forum "Action".

There are no recommended video settings that are common to all situations. You need to explore your project's needs in order to determine what settings you are likely to use.

In bright light you may have too much of a good thing. If your intention is narrow DOF then the exposure will dictate potentially both low ISO "and" high shutter speeds. High shutter speeds will change the "look" of you subject's motion so you may need to add a neutral density filter in order to allow both normal shutter speeds and shallow DOF.

If your project calls for a high shutter speed "and" broad/deep DOF you are OK to proceed to use camera settings without filtration.

Those are the means and the extremes of shooting in bright light.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2011
    Thanks Ziggy55.:D
  • Options
    GitzoGitzo Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2011
    philipbloom.net

This guy is the best resource for shooting video with a DSLR.

The site seems to be down at my work at the moment but just search Philip Bloom. The guy was even invited to Lucas's Skywalker ranch to help them learn the 5d for projects. Hope that helps.

• Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2011
    All depends. Do you want to shoot wide open at 1.8? If you are shooting 30fps you should have your shutter as close to 1/30 as possible, if shooting wide open at 1.8 you'll just have to ajust your ISO until you get the proper exposure. If shooting 24fps, 1/25 works as a shutter speed again, shooting wide open on a 1.8 you need to adjust your ISO.

Last night I shot video with my 50/1.4 @ 1.4. Earlier in the night I was shooting 1/25 @ f4 with my 16-35 and I needed to shoot ISO 1600 for a proper exposure, where as when I shot with the 50 wide open it was 1/25 @ 1.4, ISO 400 I believe.