Options

Android > iMovie, a noob learns editing

AAABluestockingAAABluestocking Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited April 17, 2011 in Video
the workflow on this was interesting.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EXZ6Y8psPWA&quot; allowfullscreen="" width="480" frameborder="0" height="390"></iframe>

First I had to clean out my hard drive because DH edited his this time lapse video and it took up almost all of the memory!

from my phone I copied the videos to Dropbox

they had an extension; GP which iMovie couldn't read so I opened them in Quicktime and shared a copy in iTunes. iMove 9 could import them then.

I'm not a musician so it was quite interesting trying to paste together some loops in Garage Band ... I putiMovie in one Window and Garage Band in another. I'm not sure what the gauge is in Garage Band because it didn't seem to coincide with anything logical to me.

Apple lets you either score a video in Garage Band (but the preview window is postage stamp size so it's rather difficult to match up the action to the movie). Or add a score to your video in iMovie...after you go through the rigamarole of sharing it to iTunes.

I'm learning by leaps and bounds. Making music match the action is hard. I managed to download the song on the other thread. But I didn't know how to strip off the audio...
My SmugMug Galleries
Learn the various techniques to make all things possible and then choose deliberately which you actually want-rutt

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    Not bad!

But your workflow stinks! I don't even understand what you did or why. When you opened in QT you could have saved it out into a format that iMovie would understand, and then cut directly in iMovie. Also, you should be cutting your picture and audio in the same application. Why did you feel that you needed to use Garage Band? I guess it was just for the loops? You should not have to share you audio in iTunes to get it into iMovie. I believe that iMovie gives you access to your iTunes library as a convenience, but it's not required.

As for the tutorial music, why did you want to strip off the audio? I put it up for the purposes of the tutorial, but I also said in that thread that it's not to be used for any other purpose. If you wanted to try cutting it for the tutorial, I intended for you to leave it with the picture so that the rest of us could "see" your music edits. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AAABluestockingAAABluestocking Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    Hallelujah! For getting some constructive criticism on the internet. It was beginning to lose all credibility to me because everyone was being too nice.

I obviously didn't know what I was doing either - hence all the extra unnecessary steps.

I'm sorry I misunderstood the exercise about editing the music. I just assumed that since this was a forum about video editing that we were supposed to truncate the audio AND add our own video. I didn't read the instructions that carefully. Which made the whole thing much more difficult than it should have been. I'm having trouble 'visualizing' how the music should be cut apart and put back together again. Thank you for telling me that it should all be done in one program.

- Nancy
    My SmugMug Galleries
    Learn the various techniques to make all things possible and then choose deliberately which you actually want-rutt
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    Hallelujah! For getting some constructive criticism on the internet. It was beginning to lose all credibility to me because everyone was being too nice.

I obviously didn't know what I was doing either - hence all the extra unnecessary steps.

I'm sorry I misunderstood the exercise about editing the music. I just assumed that since this was a forum about video editing that we were supposed to truncate the audio AND add our own video. I didn't read the instructions that carefully. Which made the whole thing much more difficult than it should have been. I'm having trouble 'visualizing' how the music should be cut apart and put back together again. Thank you for telling me that it should all be done in one program.

- Nancy

Heh. I'm glad you got some benefit from my not-so-nice answer! lol3.gif

The music exercise is just that, an exercise. I figured that if you cut it with the timecode, then everyone else could see where you made your edits and learn from it.

Maybe you could watch a tutorial or two, like the ones at lynda.com. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops