Options

Food Photography reel from jwkpec

pecheneypecheney Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited September 3, 2010 in Video
Food photograpy from www.jwkpec.com ~ Please critique as harshly and honest as possible. NOt looking for attaboys, but a real critique. THANKS for watching!! PEC ~ jwkpec.smugmug.com

946984716_pLfxQ-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    -I like the photography.

-The music makes me quite nervous and takes away from the quality of the images.

-Too many different kinds of dissolves for my taste

-I'd prefer a bit more time on each image.

Seriously, I could not watch the whole video because it made me "antsy."

Take my comments for what they're worth. Yours is the first video I've ever commented on in this forum, so that's probably not much :D.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    pecheneypecheney Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    THANKS for the feedback SO much. I SINCERELY appreciate you taking the time to put your thoughts down on this forum. Criticism, though hard to swallow, is the best way to grow, and your advice was very relative and thoughtful. THANKS!!!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Well, I love the song Big Chief, I'm just not crazy about this version. I like Dr. John's, though!

Anyway, I do get where you're going with the music. New Orleans is known for food, and the music makes you think of New Orleans, so it makes you think of food. But this music may not be for everyone, especially with the whistling.

What's the intent for the video? Is it to show your work and get more work from it? It's not clear. Will you be there when people watch it, giving it context? Or is it intended to stand on its own?

The comment above about the transitions raises a good point. Generally the less experienced the editor the fancier the transitions. They rely on them as a crutch and are wowed by what they can do. That passes. On the other hand, you've got to add some excitement to still images. You are, after all, making a video of moving images out of stills. You've got to do something to add some spice! Overall I think you've done well with the balance of adding movement and excitement to your still images without being TOO crazy. But you could tone it back, and there's the one thing towards the end that ends in a guy's face that's just a train wreck of a transition, IMO.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops